PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak

RPWC
11th April 2015, 15:50
Just got back from a few days away in the caravan, after I parked up when we arrived home,went to move the car,and after doing so, noticed a puddle of oil on the road,where car was parked previously, hard to tell if it's ATF or engine oil,it appears to be in two places either side of the sump. I wondered if it was excess ATF ,as I had it changed a cole of weeks back, but this would have appeared before now surely? Are the sump gaskets on the diesels known to leak? The oil had no smell,which makes me think engine oil rather than gear oil,but it was quite a size the leak deposit on the road. I'm not talking slick, but enough to notice., yet while we were away I never noticed any after we had bee n parked up

marinabrian
11th April 2015, 16:46
Just got back from a few days away in the caravan, after I parked up when we arrived home,went to move the car,and after doing so, noticed a puddle of oil on the road,where car was parked previously, hard to tell if it's ATF or engine oil,it appears to be in two places either side of the sump. I wondered if it was excess ATF ,as I had it changed a cole of weeks back, but this would have appeared before now surely? Are the sump gaskets on the diesels known to leak? The oil had no smell,which makes me think engine oil rather than gear oil,but it was quite a size the leak deposit on the road. I'm not talking slick, but enough to notice., yet while we were away I never noticed any after we had bee n parked up

ATF is red, diesel engine oil is jet black ;)

You'd know which was which after dipping your finger in it :drool4:

Brian :D

RPWC
11th April 2015, 16:51
Definitely black Brian ;)

myfirstrover
11th April 2015, 18:21
I had something similar last year Rich , it turned out to be the sump plug washer , have you had the oil changed recently ?

topman
11th April 2015, 18:42
I had similar turned out to be a loose oil filter.

RPWC
11th April 2015, 18:45
I had something similar last year Rich , it turned out to be the sump plug washer , have you had the oil changed recently ? not recently,but doing it this week

I had similar turned out to be a loose oil filter.

Definitely,coming from the bottom of the engine though.

RPWC
12th April 2015, 18:34
On further inception,when a finger is dipped in the oil,it is clear, but it has no smell, and atf has a very strong smell.:shrug:Have cleaned off the bottom of engine and gearbox,and put some white tissue down to determine which is leaking.

TR75
12th April 2015, 18:45
I have similar on my 75 at the moment. Seems to be in fits and starts. One morning I can come out and there will be a dribble on the gravel, next morning, nothing.

Can't get to the bottom of it. Hoping to get it up on the ramps soon so I can have a more thorough inspection.

2Diesels
12th April 2015, 19:00
That ATF smells like feline urine :D my workshop still stinks, but if it was the engine oil it would be jet black...........the gearbox was levelled off at the required oil temp as you know so it shouldn't be an overfill causing it:shrug: wonder if I've upset the seal on the oil cooler pipe:getmecoat:

RPWC
12th April 2015, 19:18
That ATF smells like feline urine :D my workshop still stinks, but if it was the engine oil it would be jet black...........the gearbox was levelled off at the required oil temp as you know so it shouldn't be an overfill causing it:shrug: wonder if I've upset the seal on the oil cooler pipe:getmecoat:

I wondered that Col, but it seemed to be coming from sump/bell housing area. I will know more by morning when it's had a chance to drip on to the white paper. It's been blasted off all underneath with the power washer, so any fresh appearance will be visible;)

RPWC
13th April 2015, 07:00
Well there has been no leakage overnight, the paper I placed underneath is dry,so next step,s to run the engine for a bit and see if that produces any leakage. If not,then it would appear to be just excess oil that didn't get washed off when the atf was changed.

RPWC
13th April 2015, 18:17
The wife took the car to the supermarket this afternoon,and whence returned ,I checked to find a tiny film of ATF around the bell housing,went for a run up the dual carriageway with it myself,and left it running when I came back,no leak while it was running,but after switch off,a tiny droplet of atf appeared from the bell housing drain hole. Would this indicate a slight leak from the input shaft oil seal?

RPWC
13th April 2015, 20:37
bump,anybody??:shrug:

Dashiel
14th April 2015, 12:54
Its down to your eyes I'm afraid. In my experience the pipes to the oil cooler will fail eventually through rust but this has been other cars. So clean off old oil so you can see where it is coming from. Drive for 15 minutes until hot but not too fast so the atf doesn't get blown about. Leave to rest for 2 hours. Observe.

RPWC
14th April 2015, 17:25
Its down to your eyes I'm afraid. In my experience the pipes to the oil cooler will fail eventually through rust but this has been other cars. So clean off old oil so you can see where it is coming from. Drive for 15 minutes until hot but not too fast so the atf doesn't get blown about. Leave to rest for 2 hours. Observe.

Already done all that, it's only a little drop on the bell housing/engine join, I left it last night after it had been for a drive, checked at bedtime no worse,and again this morning,no worse.

RPWC
14th April 2015, 20:23
Been for a run,about 15 minutes,stopped for about 10 minutes,then 15 minutes back,checked underneath,enough fluid to notice ,a small drip on the end of my finger,but not even enough to drip on to the paper I placed underneath. At the weekend I will do a level check. At the moment it seems a really small amount,so as long is it doesn't worsen,I will just leave well alone. Can't be on taking the gearbox out and replacing oil seals .

Dashiel
15th April 2015, 07:01
Bellhousing is probably the lowest point. Are you sure it isn't dribbling down from somewhere higher up?