PDA

View Full Version : HGF on K series 1.1 Metro?

StewartIngram
11th April 2015, 19:10
I've pickd up this week an M reg 1.1 Metro, to use as a 'spare wheel' if ever the 75 needs to be off the road. The car is low mileage, about 70k, and a solid little motor, bought from a small garage that has known the car for years, but decided that he can't spend more time/money to revive it, but it is too good to crush. Hence I've taken it on at a very low price as a simple restoration project. Major problem is that they say it needs some head gasket work.
Basically it runs well, as sweet as a nut. The oil is contaminated with water though. The previous lady owner pottered around in it ok until it failed its MoT when the garage took it in. The MoT faults and more have otherwise been done, it certainly feels a tight motor all round.
So, is it HGF? Symptons so far are:-
Runs very sweetly.
slight white smoke/steam? from exhaust.
Oil contaminated with water, but not the other way round as far as I can tell.
Spark plugs reasonably clean.
Compression test gives a reading around 11 on each cylinder.
I'm thinking it is not the normal HGF (between cylinders) but between water & oil paths instead? Or am I missing something else?

Stewart

marinabrian
11th April 2015, 19:48
I've pickd up this week an M reg 1.1 Metro, to use as a 'spare wheel' if ever the 75 needs to be off the road. The car is low mileage, about 70k, and a solid little motor, bought from a small garage that has known the car for years, but decided that he can't spend more time/money to revive it, but it is too good to crush. Hence I've taken it on at a very low price as a simple restoration project. Major problem is that they say it needs some head gasket work.
Basically it runs well, as sweet as a nut. The oil is contaminated with water though. The previous lady owner pottered around in it ok until it failed its MoT when the garage took it in. The MoT faults and more have otherwise been done, it certainly feels a tight motor all round.
So, is it HGF? Symptons so far are:-
Runs very sweetly.
slight white smoke/steam? from exhaust.
Oil contaminated with water, but not the other way round as far as I can tell.
Spark plugs reasonably clean.
Compression test gives a reading around 11 on each cylinder.
I'm thinking it is not the normal HGF (between cylinders) but between water & oil paths instead? Or am I missing something else?

Stewart
The elastomer seal will have failed where the head bolts pass through the block.

New elastomer gasket, steel dowels, cam belt tensioner and pump, and Bob's your uncle.

When you've flushed the coolant through post repair, fill it with 50/50 Bluecol ;)

Brian :D

Sector-9
12th April 2015, 10:18
If it's only ever been used for short runs to the shops then it could simply be condensation in the engine that's never got hot enough to evaporate. Check if you're losing any coolant and if the oil level is increasing. If neither happen then check the engine breathers aren't clogged up and take it for a good fifty mile motorway run with some hard acceleration (with breakdown cover just in case!) and see if that improves things. A leak between oil and coolant circuits should contaminate both fluids so the fact that only one is showing any contamination should indicate their is no crossover between them and the water isn't coolant.

Whilst it certainly could be HGF, the 1.1 K's aren't known for it.

sworks
12th April 2015, 20:19
If the oil and water have mixed then I'm afraid if sounds like HGF and Brian is correct. Not the end of the world though :)

StewartIngram
13th April 2015, 16:34
Thing is I bought the car, cheap, with it described as "needing gasket work", so I'm not fussed about having to do it. It still runs as sweet as a nut, and I'm aware of others jobs which have been done by the garage (saves me doing them). Yesterday I gave it a good clean inside and out, it isn't 100% perfect, but pretty close, not bad for a 20 year old car.. As I've bought it as a cheap "spare wheel" for when the 75 is unusable (we have next to no buses round here) it should turn out perfect for the job. Nice to know that the diagnosis will be right, just got to get the bits to do it now.