PDA

View Full Version : 1.8T causing me problems... injectors? + clutch?

Ste.Sales
11th April 2015, 21:12
Hi, just sorted one problem (turbo replaced 3 weeks ago) and now have another. The car is once again running poor on startup, although not as bad as when turbo blew. When cold the car starts fine but soon after it becomes really lumpy and using torque app, i can see the revs fluctuating between 780 and 850rpm. This however only lasts 5 mins or so until the engine starts to get warm. Once warm, it runs flawlessly. Now, i have also noticed a faint petrol smell while cold which disappears once warm- coinciding with the engine running better. I have also noticed that my stainless tail pipe has in the last 2 days become black with soot? No fault codes stored.
Do these symptoms relate to a faulty injector?

Now, part 2. The clutch was changed when I bought the car last year. Since the above problem started 3 days ago, i get a mild vibration through the clutch pedal no matter what gear or speed. Seems to be there constantly wether I rest my foot on the pedal without engaging it or if I depress, stationary in neutral or moving. Is this likely to be a separate problem? Or all related?

Hope someone can help, wife is threatening to scrap it :s
thanks

RPWC
11th April 2015, 21:34
It's more likely to be connected to the lumpy running,or could be down to worn engine mount bushes.
The lumpy running could be spark plugs,my mate has a ZT 1.8tand it ran poor,wasn't happy unless it was on the turbo constantly,he changed the plugs for NGK,and read somewhere that opening the gap makes a difference,it certainly did for him. I can text him and ask what he opened it to if you like?

marinabrian
11th April 2015, 21:43
NGK BKR6ES gapped at .6mm ;)

Sooty tailpipe is normally a sign of incomplete combustion, culprits are usually defective lambda sensors, faulty thermostat, or coolant temperature sensor.

Have a look at the live data when starting from cold, I don't know if your torque app will show lambda sensor output as I've never used it.

Best of luck and report back please ;)

Brian :D

Ste.Sales
11th April 2015, 21:43
Thanks for quick response. I should mention, that the bottom engine mount was changed 2 months ago, along with spark plugs (denso iridium gapped at 1mm) and coilpacks. Think it could be the hydromount? I will check the condition of the plugs when we get daylight tomorrow.
Yes my app shows live data. I checked it this morning, runs in closed loop when cold, open loop when warm - lamda voltage flicks between 0.1 and 0.9.

Ste.Sales
12th April 2015, 19:35
hey guys, this morning on my way to work, I decided to run my Torque app and record the information... Didn't really know what to look at so i set up a screen showing lamda voltage, fuel status, longterm fuel trim and short term fuel trim. Also coolant temperature too (coolant temp was 1 degree higher than outside temp on startup). Decided to monitor these based on post by marinabrian. ;)
posted vid to YouTube https://youtu.be/XX0HJ1WkTjo.
I don't really know what i am looking at or how to interpret it. but i can tell you i got a faint smell of petrol for first 30 seconds or so and i had vibration through all the pedals, steering wheel and could feel them through the seat in 4th and 5th gear. vibrations stopped when coolant temp got to 65 and car ran smoothly for the rest of the journey.
Any ideas?
Garage time?
thanks

Lovel
12th April 2015, 20:08
hey guys, this morning on my way to work, I decided to run my Torque app and record the information... Didn't really know what to look at so i set up a screen showing lamda voltage, fuel status, longterm fuel trim and short term fuel trim. Also coolant temperature too (coolant temp was 1 degree higher than outside temp on startup). Decided to monitor these based on post by marinabrian. ;)
posted vid to YouTube https://youtu.be/XX0HJ1WkTjo.
I don't really know what i am looking at or how to interpret it. but i can tell you i got a faint smell of petrol for first 30 seconds or so and i had vibration through all the pedals, steering wheel and could feel them through the seat in 4th and 5th gear. vibrations stopped when coolant temp got to 65 and car ran smoothly for the rest of the journey.
Any ideas?
Garage time?
thanks

Coolant temp should be much higher than 65c. Possibly 90+, either the temperature sensor is reading low or the thermostat is sticking open or has been removed completely.

Ste.Sales
12th April 2015, 20:19
Thanks, i wasnt very clear, i meant that the car started running fine once the collant temp reached 65 degrees and above, coolant temp rises to 94 degrees and stays there if the car is run long enough. Below 65ish degrees is where im getting the rough running idle, vibrations and fuel smell.