PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Lenses?

Salad-Dodger
12th April 2015, 19:56
Does anyone know if I can buy the plastic lenses for the headlights on my face-lift ZT-T? I don't mind second hand jobs as long as they aren't all misted like mine are. Steve

Darcydog
12th April 2015, 20:07
Does anyone know if I can buy the plastic lenses for the headlights on my face-lift ZT-T? I don't mind second hand jobs as long as they aren't all misted like mine are. Steve

Hi - the units come as complete units - I suggest doing a search on here re "de-misting" the lenses. Some very good advice available.

Basically protect the surrounding paint with masking tape, then cut back gently with wet and dry - then polish with T-Cut or similar.

There is a good "How to" on this.

https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=130021

And if you want new ones;-

http://www.powerfuluk.com/products/replacement-head-light-for-rover-75-mg-zt---lhd---pair.html

Salad-Dodger
12th April 2015, 20:29
Many thanks for all this info. Expensive, aren't they!
I've had a good look at mine and I think the problem is inside the lenses and not outside. Its not generally all over, just in the corners. Looks really naff.
Steve

ianbstag
12th April 2015, 20:55
I think the problem is inside the lenses and not outside.

When I first got mine I thought the same, even got as far as splitting the lens from the main unit.

After getting the lens on the bench, I found out it was not on the inside at all, but was under some kind of lacquer on the outside.

Bought a 3m lens cleaning kit, and after a scary couple of hours with the wet-n-dry and drill bit polisher, they came up like new :D

May be worth trying before condemning them to the skip?

klarzy
12th April 2015, 20:59
When I first got mine I thought the same, even got as far as splitting the lens from the main unit.

After getting the lens on the bench, I found out it was not on the inside at all, but was under some kind of lacquer on the outside.

Bought a 3m lens cleaning kit, and after a scary couple of hours with the wet-n-dry and drill bit polisher, they came up like new :D

May be worth trying before condemning them to the skip?

would you like me to show him yours Ian?:devil:

Salad-Dodger
12th April 2015, 21:08
The thing that's got me going in that direction was the fact that so far I haven't been able to shift anything on the outside, and there's a lot of broken bulb glass laying in the inside where someone has broken a bulb whilst changing it.
Its not a bad looking car but its going to take a bit to get it near to right.

klarzy
12th April 2015, 21:11
Have a look at this thread...
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=209112

whether you want something "special" or just refurbished standard lights, we can sort you a better deal then most..

ianbstag
12th April 2015, 21:14
would you like me to show him yours Ian?:devil:

Yeah, why not, I'd love to see how they're coming along!

Be interesting to get others opinion. I just can't wait until they're fitted :drool4:

Salad-Dodger
12th April 2015, 21:23
Very nice lights but all I want are lights! Do like e'm but mine light the road up and that does me! lol

klarzy
12th April 2015, 21:26
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=1974340&postcount=9

klarzy
12th April 2015, 21:27
Very nice lights but all I want are lights! Do like e'm but mine light the road up and that does me! lol

yes, but I can do refurbes standard projectors as well...

Salad-Dodger
12th April 2015, 21:35
I appreciate it mate but i can't use the car if I send you my lights and really, if there's a way of getting them clean, I recon I can do it. The trick is though, keeping them that way. I have a similar problem with our MGFs. Only rover would use plastic rather than glass.

klarzy
12th April 2015, 21:39
I appreciate it mate but i can't use the car if I send you my lights and really, if there's a way of getting them clean, I recon I can do it. The trick is though, keeping them that way. I have a similar problem with our MGFs. Only rover would use plastic rather than glass.

I can send you a set of refurbished projectors for 140 plus post... 60.00 cheaper than ebay... there if you want it..;)

Tenesmus
12th April 2015, 22:24
Only rover would use plastic rather than glass.

"Most vehicles built since 1990 have polycarbonate lenses. This is a type of clear plastic that bounces back from considerable impact, making it an ideal choice for the front of a vehicle. The problem with polycarbonate is its tendency to yellow and cloud over time as a result of UV exposure."

http://www.autogeek.net/headlight-lens.html

klarzy
12th April 2015, 22:28
There seems to be a gel coat that takes a lot of the brunt.

Salad-Dodger
13th April 2015, 12:11
[QUOTE=Tenesmus;1974378]"Most vehicles built since 1990 have polycarbonate lenses. This is a type of clear plastic that bounces back from considerable impact, making it an ideal choice for the front of a vehicle. The problem with polycarbonate is its tendency to yellow and cloud over time as a result of UV exposure."

Maybe in the states, but nor over here. I've owned all sorts of cars since 1990. Fords Jaguars VWs and the first car that had e'm was the wife's MGF and now this MGZT-T. Both are suffering with the yellow problem and the MGF I don't think will be any good, so that will need a replacement. The ZT was ok when I got it a month ago, now its creeping all over the whole light.
Complete rubbish. It really needs a coating of some kind after its been polished off.
I really appreciate the referb offer but I just cant afford it, due mostly to owning two MGFs and a ZT all of which need doing!
Hey-Ho!!