PDA

View Full Version : 2 speed radiator fan upgrade?

Prince_Leopold
12th April 2015, 22:45
Hi,

Sorry for asking a question that's probably been asked a million times before but I've spent hours on the forum today and I'm going cross-eyed!

I've recently bought a 2002 Rover 75 Tourer Club SE 2.0L CDT, before me she had one owner from new and has done 115K miles.

She seems to have all the usual 'issues'; in the first week I had a front spring go, the coolant temperature doesn't get above 55 deg C (in-line thermostat on order) and the radiator fan doesn't appear to work. It's the fan I'd like some advice on.

I think it's a three speed fan (no silver sensor) and when I press the demist button or turn off the 'econ' mode the radiator fan doesn't come on. Also, I've just had the air-con regassed which is the first time ever for this car and I'm getting whale noises, obviously I wont use the air-con until I've got the fan sorted.

I'm on a bit of a tight budget and don't think I have the technical skills to have a go at changing the brushes so was wondering about buying a second hand 2 speed fan and fitting this with the gold resistor upgrade. Is this feasible, would it be a 'plug and play' job (I think I'd need a control box too?) and what model donor car should I be looking for?

Hope someone can help.

Thanks

David

Rick-sta
12th April 2015, 22:56
I did this on both my ZT and my dads 75. If you can get hold of a 2 speed fan from another diesel with a resistor it will be a plug and play job. I sourced a diesel 2 speed fan for my dads 75 and it worked perfectly without any modifications.

On my ZT however i couldn't source a diesel resistor type fan so got one from a 1.8 turbo (if i remember correctly) and swapped the control box for the one from my diesel (some rewiring modifications were required) and it worked perfectly.

The problem is trying to source a 2 speed resistor type fan as they were only fitted to late mkII models and can be hard to source. Im dads 75 is a mkII on a 04 plate and had a 3 speed fan before i changed it.

SD1too
13th April 2015, 07:18
Hello David and :welcome: to the club.

Your best bet is to contact Arctic who may well be able to help you with a 2 speed system already fitted with the 'gold' uprated resistor and with a diesel control box too.

However if you want to source your own follow Rick's advice above, although I wouldn't recommend trying to change or convert control boxes unless you really have to. It can get very complicated.

Simon

Arctic
13th April 2015, 11:04
Hi David.
I have received your PM and email both replied to I will now wait for your decision/instructions regarding which one you would like help with cheers Arctic ;)

Prince_Leopold
24th April 2015, 10:15
Thanks for the rad fan Arctic, I'll update the thread when I've got it fitted :}

Richym
24th April 2015, 10:45
Hi David.
I have received your PM and email both replied to I will now wait for your decision/instructions regarding which one you would like help with cheers Arctic ;)

Hey artic

Do you have anymore fans as mines is not working either

Thx
richy

Prince_Leopold
10th July 2015, 13:53
Finally got around to fitting Arctic's fan a couple of weeks ago and it works a treat :}

I'm a very inexperienced home mechanic so I took it steady following the instructions in this excellent thread, took me about four hours:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=86328

Everything went smoothly and I managed to change the intercooler O rings while I had everything dismantled.

Couple of things I noticed, the temp sensor (?) under the radiator is connected by only one wire, the other having worn through so I'll need to repair that sometime.

The other thing I noticed was the fins in the aircon condenser are starting to crumble at the bottom so I need to replace that (lucky old me I get to remove the front bumper again :D )

I think the condenser is working okay though, there's no whooping noises from the aircon anymore. Also I've followed Jules' simple DIY test in this thread:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=68340

The small pipe was luke warm and the larger pipe quite cool to the touch, when I disconnected the trinary plug the fan speed didn't slow so fingers crossed it'll be okay for a couple of months until I can afford to change the condenser.

wuzerk
10th July 2015, 14:16
The small pipe was luke warm and the larger pipe quite cool to the touch, when I disconnected the trinary plug the fan speed didn't slow so fingers crossed it'll be okay for a couple of months until I can afford to change the condenser.
The small High Pressure pipe should onnly get luke warm, according to JULES
info it is when it gets very hot that you have an indication of a poor condition
Condensor.

Prince_Leopold
10th July 2015, 14:54
The small High Pressure pipe should onnly get luke warm, according to JULES
info it is when it gets very hot that you have an indication of a poor condition
Condensor.

It's nice to know I'm not damaging the aircon system by using it, it's been lovely just to sit in the car the last couple of weeks