PDA

View Full Version : reverse parking sensors - the 5 second beep

smiffyma
13th April 2015, 17:59
Hi – the bane of many owners life …
My mk2 75 has factory fitted reverse parking sensors - all I get is the 5 second beep (reversing lights work). So from other threads I have done the following:

1. Checked each sensor for clicking – all of them click… except one clicks noticeably quieter than the others.
2. Removed rear bumper and checked wiring assemblies and connections – no breaks registered on the meter…. But some were a little corroded so I cleaned them up.
3. Checked the parking aid control box located above the driver’s side wheel in the boot. I thought I had found the problem because there was some water ingress in the terminals… and the and black connector, when removed was in a shocking state with water damage and one pin corroded thru (White/Red/Yellow - K bus) which I had to rewire around.
But I still get the 5 second "system screwed" beep…..
Should I
a) Take bumper off again and test it again and again
b) replace the quieter (not silent) sensor…
c) Replace the pdc with a like for like off ebay
d) Disconnect the speaker and give up!

Thanks

Mark

Heddy
13th April 2015, 20:32
Don't give up. My fault was with 1 sensor. It was a poorly fitting plug on the sensor. With the bumper off, if you moved it, (tried to snap it off) it worked. A new plug soldered to the existing wires cured it.:}

Mike Noc
13th April 2015, 20:45
If it isn't a wiring fault then maybe one of the sensors has given up the ghost.

You could try getting a spare one and swapping it with each in turn, starting with the quiet one.

Greeners
14th April 2015, 20:54
I gave each sensor a good clean with a spray all purpose cleaner and a soft paint brush. You'd be amazed at the colour of the liquid that came out, but then looking at how dirty the back of the car gets in the rain, I'm not suprised

hogweed
15th April 2015, 10:58
I struggled with this for weeks – loom perfect, sensors all apparently OK, no water issues… eventually I gave up and have been using a kit from eBay which cost £16.50 brand new for the entire system, ie ECU, sensors, loom, beeper!

Been using it for maybe 4 years now without problems, except that the beeper is a little quiet when the radio’s on.

smiffyma
15th April 2015, 17:16
I struggled with this for weeks – loom perfect, sensors all apparently OK, no water issues… eventually I gave up and have been using a kit from eBay which cost £16.50 brand new for the entire system, ie ECU, sensors, loom, beeper!

Been using it for maybe 4 years now without problems, except that the beeper is a little quiet when the radio’s on.

thanks - I've been thinking the same ... do you have a link to kit you used?
Were the kit sensors the same size as the oem ones with regard to fitting in the same bumper holes?

thanks
Mark

smiffyma
15th April 2015, 17:17
I gave each sensor a good clean with a spray all purpose cleaner and a soft paint brush. You'd be amazed at the colour of the liquid that came out, but then looking at how dirty the back of the car gets in the rain, I'm not suprised
Yes - I'll give then another going over
thanks
Mark

hogweed
15th April 2015, 19:10
thanks - I've been thinking the same ... do you have a link to kit you used?
Were the kit sensors the same size as the oem ones with regard to fitting in the same bumper holes?

thanks
Mark

I haven't, I'm afraid, but I'm pretty sure it was this type (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-OR-SILVER-4-POINT-REVERSING-PARKING-SENSOR-KIT-ALL-ROVER-/350566521877?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Car+Make%3ARover|Model%3A75&hash=item519f649c15).

For me, the sensors were very slightly loose in the holes, so I had to wrap some tape round them. But, like I say, for sub-£20...

Feel free to pm me if you do get one and have any problems :D

smiffyma
21st April 2015, 16:12
I haven't, I'm afraid, but I'm pretty sure it was this type (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-OR-SILVER-4-POINT-REVERSING-PARKING-SENSOR-KIT-ALL-ROVER-/350566521877?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&fits=Car+Make%3ARover|Model%3A75&hash=item519f649c15).

For me, the sensors were very slightly loose in the holes, so I had to wrap some tape round them. But, like I say, for sub-£20...

Feel free to pm me if you do get one and have any problems :D

Well I've fiddled again with the current system, but with no joy this might be the way to go ....
Especially as I notice there are some complete replacement kits for about £10 on the bay!
Theyre probably all the same chinese import.
It might save hassle rather trying to find out if the problems is in the current loom,sensor,ecu (or combination!).

If putting in one of these aftermarket systems ... which are basically self contained sensor/loom/ecus what did you disconnect from the existing ECU to disable the factory fitted system?

thanks

hogweed
21st April 2015, 17:03
Well I've fiddled again with the current system, but with no joy this might be the way to go ....
Especially as I notice there are some complete replacement kits for about £10 on the bay!
Theyre probably all the same chinese import.
It might save hassle rather trying to find out if the problems is in the current loom,sensor,ecu (or combination!).

If putting in one of these aftermarket systems ... which are basically self contained sensor/loom/ecus what did you disconnect from the existing ECU to disable the factory fitted system?

thanks

Not sure if they ARE all the same, so maybe spend the extra tenner… I removed the sensors (obviously) and the wiring loom from the ECM to the sensors (think I had to snip it, can’t remember). Then I simply unplugged the ECM and threw it into a box somewhere. I THINK the T4 throws an error for it if you have a test session, but that doesn't affect anything; and the T4 can turn it off as an option anyway, to no longer look for it.

Then you stick the new ECM up in the same place somewhere (double sided tape I think), run its loom to the back bumper, and plug the sensors in. Oh, and stick the beeper up under the parcel shelf, with a wire from that to the ECM. Easy peasy :D

Oh, and a wire to the reversing light to get power… sorry, it was 4 years ago.

bubs
23rd April 2015, 12:30
If you're thinking about going with an aftermarket set i would recommend one with a display too, gives an indication of how close things are to what side of the car.
Here's the link for when i did mine aftermarket sensor install (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=176236&highlight=sensor)