PDA

View Full Version : No fuel getting to ubp

shodan70
14th April 2015, 20:33
driving home my car just cut out and had to be towed home was starting then stopping after a few seconds after a lot of messing around i have replaced the in tank pump and now you can here the fuel getting pumped around the tank but would not start so i suspected the ubp to be faulty so i took that out and it tested fine but i cant get any fuel from the tank to the ubp any ideas anybody

thanks

Mike Noc
14th April 2015, 21:14
Disconnect the UBP plug then lift the rear set base and the inspection hatch on the passenger side. Pull the pipe from the top of the tank module and with key to position II you should have fuel flowing out of the module pipe connection.

If not the problem is in the tank so take out the tank module on the driver's side and check the ITP and it's pipework.

If you do get fuel flowing from the passenger side module replace the pipe, remove the UBP and disconnect the inlet pipe on the bottom. Again with key to position II you should get fuel flowing out of the pipe.

I've seen fuel starvation after a new UBP was replaced and the clear plastic protector for the inlet pipe had been left on and jammed in the pipe.

shodan70
14th April 2015, 21:22
hi i have fuel from the filter on left hand side i tested ubp and its working left outlet of the ubp and nothing i was turning key on leaving 30 seconds turning off then repeating this a few times still nothing

Mike Noc
14th April 2015, 21:28
Sounds like a blockage in the pipe from front to rear. Try poking something thin down the inlet pipe to the UBP to check for any blockages, and also blowing down the pipe at the tank module.

Bit of info on the LP fuel circuit in post #4 here:

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=172055

shodan70
14th April 2015, 21:34
thats my job for tommorow

shodan70
16th April 2015, 16:59
Update blockage in the pipe under the ubp sorted that and car started so I changed the air pollen and crank breather filters Took it for a drive went well for a while and now can't go over 30 mph no power feel like scrapping the thing �� lol

Mike Noc
16th April 2015, 19:30
Does it rev past 3000 in neutral? If not unplug the LP fuel pressure sensor - it is the one on the top of the fuel filter. If it then revs OK you still have a problem on the low pressure fuel side. When was the fuel filter last changed?

RPWC
16th April 2015, 19:37
Does it rev past 3000 in neutral? If not unplug the LP fuel pressure sensor - it is the one on the top of the fuel filter. If it then revs OK you still have a problem on the low pressure fuel side. When was the fuel filter last changed?

could it be maf sensor Mike?

Mike Noc
16th April 2015, 20:01
Could well be Richard, but often they tend to fade away over time, not all of a sudden, and I haven't heard of a failed one limiting the top speed to 30mph.

Well worth unplugging it though, and seeing if things improve.

shodan70
16th April 2015, 20:21
ill give them a try tomorrow thanks lads and ive never changed the fuel filter

RPWC
16th April 2015, 20:32
ill give them a try tomorrow thanks lads and ive never changed the fuel filter

when you do,make sure there is plenty of fuel in the tank,consider the problems we were discussing last night;)
Same principle as the cartridge type oil filters,run a smear of diesel round the seam, then once its in place and has a good seal,turn key to 2 and let it fill up before cranking,you may need to do this two or three times.

shodan70
16th April 2015, 20:36
believe me mate there is now plenty fuel lol

shodan70
17th April 2015, 13:17
another update just been for a run in the car seems to be intermittent fault car ran and would not go over 3000 revs then all of a sudden ran perfect then went back to under 3000 revs then perfect again starting to suspect might be ubp but not sure and dont want to spend money till im sure

shodan70
17th April 2015, 17:06
Just been out for an hour ran great

Mike Noc
17th April 2015, 19:34
another update just been for a run in the car seems to be intermittent fault car ran and would not go over 3000 revs then all of a sudden ran perfect then went back to under 3000 revs then perfect again starting to suspect might be ubp but not sure and dont want to spend money till im sure

When it happens again unplug the LP fuel pressure sensor and if it then revs freely the fault is likely to be on the low pressure side. Could be the UBP, but as it is intermittent check the plug connection and wiring for the LP fuel pressure sensor.

shodan70
19th April 2015, 22:31
well final update had the rover to the guru (marinabrian) the ubp has had its day new one ordered and my ecu not wanting to talk to him so had that replaced

Mike Noc
19th April 2015, 22:56
Thanks for the update Les - good that it is sorted.

You are lucky to live near Brian. ;) :D

shodan70
19th April 2015, 23:06
and im very glad i do thanks all for the advice