PDA

View Full Version : cylinder head gasket

chas37
16th April 2015, 16:36
1.8 conni suspected cylinder head gasket the car has only 61,000and is in really excellent condition can anyone give me a approx price of replacing and is the upgraded gasket any better. Ilive in the tyne wear area

stockwell1
16th April 2015, 16:53
Hi,
I live nowhere near you im afraid my friend,but mine just went too at 55.000. In my area i was told 400 quid to do...but noone wanted to do it(see previous posts)..thing is,noone can give you any guarantee when or if it will go again,a good mechanic if done right can still go later and it wouldnt be his fault,other members have had two and three heads go over the years,its just the car im afraid,but if you are taken as myself with the 75 then get it done,this forum will and can keep you on the road as quite a lot of members possibly near you will help you anyway they can,this is why im a member,

Matt.

kaiser
16th April 2015, 17:15
I hate to admit it, but my 1.8T is going again. It has just done 15000km since the last head gasket repair, and I did it myself, as well as it can be done.

The car has gradually started to use water, and now it is pressurising the coolant system and a pipe has blown.
Three of the spark plugs show signs of water, and there is no doubt in my mind, the gasket is going. No other symptoms and no oil/water mix. Just high pressure and water in the cylinder(s) and general water loss.

I recently tried to re-torque the engine bolts, to see if I could maybe save the day, and first slackened them of in sequence. I made a note of the torque required to "break" each bolt, and that varied from 25 to 40 Nm. It had no effect, at least not positive.

And a similar story. A couple of years ago, I had head gasket failure on a 7MGE Toyota Cressida engine. I bought new gaskets and had the head skimmed and valves sorted. Fitted the head and read up about the torque. From memory it stated that the recommended torque was 70Nm, but there is general agreement that that figure is too low, so I gave it 90Nm.
All was well for about 5000km, and it went again. I took the head in to be skimmed again, and spoke to the owner of the business, he asked if I had re-torqued the head, and I said no, but I had given it extra torque. He went into the computer and came back and said the head had to be re-torqued after the first 800km. I fitted the head, torqued to 90 again and drove about 1000km. Then I re torqued all bolts again, and the most telling aspect is, that when "breaking" the bolts, they all were about 40Nm, that is less than half the original torque. So a settling of the gasket, and all sorts of heat and cooling effects, had brought the permanent torque to less than half of the original torque.
I have now driven that engine a great distance and all is well.

I am just quietly wondering if we are under torquing these k-4 engines? and further, if we would maybe not gain from re-torquing the head after say 1000km?

I know these are stretch bolts and all that jazz, but 3 spark plugs showing signs of water sounds like either a general lack of torque, or sunken liners on three cylinders.

And, I sealed the liners with Loc-Tite when installing them, so time will tell.

Time to take the head off.

Some times I ask myself why oh why!:o

Doc Evil
16th April 2015, 21:59
1.8 conni suspected cylinder head gasket the car has only 61,000and is in really excellent condition can anyone give me a approx price of replacing and is the upgraded gasket any better. Ilive in the tyne wear area

Marinabrian is in your part of the world give him a PM to see if he can do it for you, he will know what to check and which gasket is suitable for the liners

Doc

Doc Evil
16th April 2015, 22:22
Hi Kaiser
Sounds like hgf did you torque the bolts or angular set them, if torque the correct value is 64nm, I have found some bolts out by 18-20 degrees when using a calibrated snap on torque wrench
I wonder if the water loss is the cause or the symptom as the plastic manifold seems a very weak point also do you have a prt fitted or is the stat behind the water pump
Do you have any pictures of the head prior to replacement as the water ways can have some shocking restrictions from casting flashing

Doc

kaiser
16th April 2015, 22:45
Hi Kaiser
Sounds like hgf did you torque the bolts or angular set them, if torque the correct value is 64nm, I have found some bolts out by 18-20 degrees when using a calibrated snap on torque wrench
I wonder if the water loss is the cause or the symptom as the plastic manifold seems a very weak point also do you have a prt fitted or is the stat behind the water pump
Do you have any pictures of the head prior to replacement as the water ways can have some shocking restrictions from casting flashing

Doc

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=130997&highlight=1.8T+pictures

Initial torque + 180 + 180 degrees. PRT.
I firstly replaced the inlet manifold gasket as a precaution. The blown up hoses is a clear sign exhaust gases are getting awol, though

Doc Evil
17th April 2015, 07:18
Hi Kaiser
After reading your thread on the initial repair and looking closely at the pictures I can't see anything that would have contributed to a repeat failure all work appears to be to a high standard, the only unknown variable is the use of locktite on the liners, but as you have no oil coolant mix this doesn't seem to be an issue and the water ways appear nicely fettled so no lack of coolant flow through the head
Did you have the head and block hardness tested?
I would be very interested in your inspection once the head is pulled.
Possibly the use of the latest Chinese uprated gasket and head bolts may be the way to go, but to my mind accurate work with quality parts should give a good repair (which you already did)

Regards Baffled from Devon

Doc

PS don't give up the gasket swap is such an easy job it's almost worth doing as a regular service item, this is something I will consider if I get another hgf but still low mileage on my repairs the highest is only 10,000 miles so too early to say yet and the gaskets only seem to last circa 50,000 miles anyway

kaiser
17th April 2015, 07:37
Hi Kaiser
After reading your thread on the initial repair and looking closely at the pictures I can't see anything that would have contributed to a repeat failure all work appears to be to a high standard, the only unknown variable is the use of locktite on the liners, but as you have no oil coolant mix this doesn't seem to be an issue and the water ways appear nicely fettled so no lack of coolant flow through the head
Did you have the head and block hardness tested?
I would be very interested in your inspection once the head is pulled.
Possibly the use of the latest Chinese uprated gasket and head bolts may be the way to go, but to my mind accurate work with quality parts should give a good repair (which you already did)

Regards Baffled from Devon

Doc

PS don't give up the gasket swap is such an easy job it's almost worth doing as a regular service item, this is something I will consider if I get another hgf but still low mileage on my repairs the highest is only 10,000 miles so too early to say yet and the gaskets only seem to last circa 50,000 miles anyway

Ha ha, me giving up?? I haven't got enough common sense to do that!

(I have given up yonks ago, but my wife won't let me quit. It is 1.8T fixed or my V8 gone!! :D)

We will see when the head comes off.

SD1too
17th April 2015, 07:53
1.8 conni suspected cylinder head gasket ...
Charles,

Before doing anything, take care that you have the correct diagnosis and be even more careful about how the engine is repaired. There is a choice of gaskets depending upon the circumstances, the all-important check of cylinder liner height and whether or not the head requires skimming. If you're technically minded yourself, there's lots to read from several forum members experienced with the 1.8 engine including MarinaBrian who is local to you, as mentioned earlier.

Simon

Doc Evil
17th April 2015, 08:28

(I have given up yonks ago, but my wife won't let me quit. It is 1.8T fixed or my V8 gone!! :D)

Didn't think you would, you sound alot like me, stubborn as a mule when it comes to a problem and don't stop till you get to the bottom of the problem
looking forward to the results of the head off

Doc

Gate Keeper
17th April 2015, 08:38

Good morning Kaiser :}

Hopefully, we might be flying to Cape Town next month via Johannesberg. I have the other parts you wanted last year, up at the farm still to send to you.
Do you need anything else? If you do let me know. I am in the UK until 02 May. Thanks :)

I have got a few problems myself. Electrics and valve stem seals to do. What joy :)