PDA

View Full Version : Need help asap!!!!

simon.goode88
26th April 2015, 20:56
Hi all i bought a rover 75 tourer 1.8t connie on a 2003 plate with 93000 miles on it. The engine is very jerky and the exhaust is blowing out blue and white smoke. White is on idle and blue is when you rev the engine. Its had belts changed at 65000 and today i replaced the oil and oil filter and did an engine flush. I get a flashing eml then it goes off but i scanned the car and the code was P0303 cylinder 3 misfire but ive been told it could be turbo related or inlet manifold gasket related. Any help would be appreciated as me and my family need this car on the road running as it should.

Mdan
26th April 2015, 21:01
Could be head gasket or piston rings in cylinder 3 you need to do a compresson test really are u loosing water/oil

simon.goode88
26th April 2015, 21:05
It looks like its leaking oil but i dont know where from and coolant/water is fine

Ps3000
Your misfire could be a coil pack and or associated leads. You could trying switching the coil pack to another (?the other on a 1.8 I think) and see if the fault "moves" cylinders.

As for the smoke - I can't really offer any help with that I'm afraid, maybe someone else can.

Mdan
Also take off induction pipe into inlet manifold and check for excessive oil

RodgerD
26th April 2015, 21:07
What colour was the oil that you drained, was it light brown, like the froth on a cup of coffee. Is it losing coolant, if so then it sounds like a HG issue; not unknown on a 1.8.

simon.goode88
26th April 2015, 21:09
Oil was black with what seemed to have little bits in it and its not losing any coolant

RodgerD
26th April 2015, 21:09
Your misfire could be a coil pack and or associated leads. You could trying switching the coil pack to another (?the other on a 1.8 I think) and see if the fault "moves" cylinders.

As for the smoke - I can't really offer any help with that I'm afraid, maybe someone else can.

Cannot be a coil pack as coil pack fires two plugs at once; its a wasted spark system.

Greeners
26th April 2015, 21:11
pull the plug out and see what it's like.

simon.goode88
26th April 2015, 21:13
What would you recommend changing? So far the cambelts have been changed, oil and oil filter has been changed, its had an engine flush and the bloke before used 5w40 fully synthetic oil whereas ive used 10w40 part synthetic.

Mdan
26th April 2015, 21:18
No point changing anything until u locate the problem take out the plugs and check for oil soiling ur burning oil u need to find out if it's coming into the cylinder on the inlet side or past the piston rings.

simon.goode88
26th April 2015, 21:20
See all this is new to me and i dont know that much about these cars. This is why i need someone to have a look at it

RodgerD
26th April 2015, 21:22
Oil was black with what seemed to have little bits in it and its not losing any coolant

Were the little bit metallic?

Take all four plugs out and see how sooty they are; they should all be light brown in colour and not oily. I would then do a compression test, if you don't have a tester, they are available on e-bay for about a tenner. Take all the plugs out and screw the compression tester into each spark plug hole and crank the engine. All should be the same and if I remember around 150 psi for a turbo k series.

Throttle should be wide open when doing the test.

Repeat the test with a teaspoon oil engine oil in each cylinder, if the reading increase, then you have a ring problem.

Mdan
26th April 2015, 21:24
Do you have any experience with turbo charged engines

Ps3000
26th April 2015, 21:24
Cannot be a coil pack as coil pack fires two plugs at once; its a wasted spark system.

http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=480779

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/ar-cars/our-cars/mikes-rover-75-once-twice-three-times-a-breakdown/

RodgerD
26th April 2015, 21:31
http://forums.mg-rover.org/showthread.php?t=480779

Misfire is picked up by the knock sensor which is reference by the crank sensor to a particular cylinder. High tension side of the coil isn't monitored for obvious reasons, the high voltage.

simon.goode88
26th April 2015, 21:36
Dont have any experience with turbo engines

Ps3000
26th April 2015, 21:39
Misfire is picked up by the knock sensor which is reference by the crank sensor to a particular cylinder. High tension side of the coil isn't monitored for obvious reasons, the high voltage.

I agree, and I know what a wasted spark system is, but in one of the cases linked to, a change of coil pack solved the problem which presented as a single cylinder misfire fault code, however, if you are 100% determined it can't be that I accept that and bow out - I don't want to waste time and space arguing - was just trying to help the OP.

Polly
26th April 2015, 21:56
Cool packs can and often do affect only one cylinder, and since it costs nothing, and requires no special tools, I would try that first.

simon.goode88
27th April 2015, 05:18
Ok ill get some new coil packs spark plugs and ht leads and see what happens. Thanks for all the advice.

simon.goode88
27th April 2015, 05:58
Ordered new coil packs new ngk spark plugs and new ht leads and the lot came to £82. If theres anywhere cheaper let me know

Mike Noc
27th April 2015, 12:09
Don't know what you have ordered but I'd buy one decent coil pack instead of two cheapies. Had problems with new cheap ones before, and it doesn't help when faultfinding. :getmecoat:

Greeners
27th April 2015, 12:10
before you spend any money, have a look at plug No 3

simon.goode88
27th April 2015, 19:39
The plug in cylinder 3 was caked in oil. Ive changed all plugs ht leads and coil packs and it will not start now. It cranks but wont start. The plugs spark and you can smell petrol but it just will not start now.

Jules
27th April 2015, 19:45
Compression test is next.
As stated before don't buy cheap unbranded parts.

They either don't work or don't last ;)

RodgerD
27th April 2015, 19:46
The plug in cylinder 3 was caked in oil. Ive changed all plugs ht leads and coil packs and it will not start now. It cranks but wont start. The plugs spark and you can smell petrol but it just will not start now.

The only bit you disturbed is the wiring to the coils, might be worth checking it's integrity. Then its back to investigating No3 cylinder by doing a compression test, if you don't have a tester, you can borrow mine.

simon.goode88
27th April 2015, 19:59
If i were to borrow your compression tester youd need to come here as the car is not running. I need someone to come fix it as i have a family and we need the car to get about. Im desperate someone please help us out.

HenryD
27th April 2015, 20:22

If it was running before you changed the coil's leads etc it should still run now which would make me think you've plumbed something incorrectly, maybe worth posting a picture up of the coil,lead layout to see if its correct.

RodgerD
27th April 2015, 20:24
If i were to borrow your compression tester youd need to come here as the car is not running. I need someone to come fix it as i have a family and we need the car to get about. Im desperate someone please help us out.

Could nip up to you on Thursday afternoon, your not that far away.

simon.goode88
27th April 2015, 20:31
I work monday to friday 9 til half 5 so i wouldnt be in my partner would be. It just makes no sense as to why its not starting as yesterday it had an oil change with engine flush new oil filter and now its had new spark plugs new ht leads and new coil packs and it wont start at all now its getting annoying.

RodgerD
28th April 2015, 13:55
If you don't get it running by tomorrow evening, take the plugs out to save time on Thursday and I'll nip up late afternoon on Thursday when you are home from work. We'll do a compression test and decide where to go from there. PM me your address.