PDA

View Full Version : Coil Pack Failures - Cause or Coincidence

butty
6th July 2015, 09:20
I have had a couple of recent coil pack failures on my ZT 190 whereby the start of an intermittent misfire turned into a complete failure of a coil pack within 20 minutes of driving. OBD identified misfire on the relevant cylinder so was easy and quick fix to replace the relevant coil pack.

Same thing happened a week later on a diffrent cylinder. I replaced another one last year too, so thats all three on the rear bank now that I have replaced.

They are the newer facelift pencil type ones.

Just wondered if this is a coincidence or should i be looking to find out if something else is damaging these?

suffolk boy
6th July 2015, 10:28
most likely a issue with your ecu.contact marina brian for help

DMGRS
6th July 2015, 18:59
I had 2 on my old ZS180 within a week, and then no others since. Just chance I reckon. :)
Coil packs are under a lot of load, and those pencil packs are quite small compared to the K4 packs.

andrewinpopayan
6th July 2015, 20:58
All the coil packs are probably the same age, so they take it in turns to pack up.

It's like changing the light bulbs in your house, they always seem to go in batches :shrug:

butty
8th July 2015, 09:30
Thanks for the replies. Fingers crossed no more die, I think i would be more worried if it were the same cylinder that kept failing.
Car seems to have more power now so maybe they have been weak for a little while.:}
Si.

DMGRS
8th July 2015, 12:35
I noticed my first ZS180 had a bit of a stutter - changed a coil pack as it failed a month or so later, and it had gone. Felt a bit more responsive too. :)

marinabrian
8th July 2015, 16:41
Very important on the KV6 to ensure the earths are reconnected otherwise coil pack and ECM failure are short on the heels ;)

If you need an ECM I have a new one in stock, and a lot cheaper than THIS (http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/electronic-control-unit-engine-nnn000170-p-24885.html) too :eek:

Brian :D

Salad-Dodger
8th July 2015, 17:12
Very important on the KV6 to ensure the earths are reconnected otherwise coil pack and ECM failure are short on the heels ;)

If you need an ECM I have a new one in stock, and a lot cheaper than THIS (http://www.island-4x4.co.uk/electronic-control-unit-engine-nnn000170-p-24885.html) too :eek:

Brian :D

That's good piece of info on those earths. I've just re-fitted the V6 to my car. I'm curious to know how and where the coil packs are earthed. I remember doing one up on the rear bank, on the right hand side, but I can't say I remember attaching one to the front cam cover, and they have a gasket there as well. Steve

COLVERT
8th July 2015, 22:07
Spark plug gaps ??

The bigger the gap the greater the voltage rise in the coil pack wires before the spark jumps the gap.

Perhaps closing the gap SLIGHTLY might take a bit of stain off the coil wiring.--:shrug: