PDA

View Full Version : Engine compartment fuel pump won't stop!

edward1
6th July 2015, 18:56
I went to my car to find the battery completely flat. When a new battery was fitted I noticed on connecting that the fuel pump adjacent to the battery was whirring. I checked the ignition which was off and I even took the key out to make absolutely certain.
So far I have changed the engine management relay to no effect.
I do not wish to go further because my knowledge of electrics is limited and I would welcome input from those who may have experienced the same problem or can throw some light on how to proceed.
Many thanks in advance.
The car is a 51 plate Diesel Tourer with only 38,000 miles

Mike Noc
6th July 2015, 19:11
Two causes spring to mind, either the fuel pump relay is stuck closed, or you have a short to ground in the control wire between the relay and the ECM.

The ECM grounds the control voltage to close the relay contacts and start the pumps.

T-Cut
6th July 2015, 19:35
Diesel pump relay

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y191/waveguide/6a2c49fb-b913-4997-ac24-dadb476442c0_zps1b85e5a1.jpg
TC

edward1
7th July 2015, 11:51
Many thanks to T-Cut and Mike Noc for their very swift responses. Unfortunately the problem is not as I thought.
By way of explanation, I suffer severe hearing loss and thought that the noise was coming from the pump but is is in fact emanating from an item in front of the battery which has the appearance of an ECU with an aluminium body and electrical connections on the top. It is not shown in the Haynes manual so I cannot identify it further.
Anyway, it has a cooling? fanbuilt in and it is this that runs continuously.
Any suggestions on how to cure this would be grately appreciated.
Sorry to have mislead people and apologies also if I should by now have started a new thread.

spyder
7th July 2015, 11:59
Many thanks to T-Cut and Mike Noc for their very swift responses. Unfortunately the problem is not as I thought.
By way of explanation, I suffer severe hearing loss and thought that the noise was coming from the pump but is is in fact emanating from an item in front of the battery which has the appearance of an ECU with an aluminium body and electrical connections on the top. It is not shown in the Haynes manual so I cannot identify it further.
Anyway, it has a cooling? fanbuilt in and it is this that runs continuously.
Any suggestions on how to cure this would be grately appreciated.
Sorry to have mislead people and apologies also if I should by now have started a new thread.

This would be the FBH (fuel burning heater) it is for pre warming your coolant if the temperature is below 5 degrees. The work well when working, but the PC board does give problems. Unplug it with the power off until you get it sorted out.

There is plenty of info and how to's on here.

There are two plugs to remove, remove the front one first and then the back one.

Craig.

spyder
7th July 2015, 12:01
This should help, compliments of Harry.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?p=877768#post877768

andrewinpopayan
7th July 2015, 12:06
Get it fixed NOW before the rush starts, FrenchMike is the man.

andrewinpopayan
7th July 2015, 16:30
I just ran my webasto up, first time since February this year.

It misfired a couple of times on startup, but fired up on the 3rd attempt.
I left it running for 5 minutes, going to do this once a month so it doesn't develop "cobwebs" :D

edward1
7th July 2015, 19:05
Thanks everybody for your prompt assistance.