PDA

View Full Version : Wind noise at over 50!

Mike24
7th July 2015, 23:33
This has nothing to do with either the state of digestion or my age - I have become aware after one or two motorway trips, that there is a fair amount of wind noise generated as speed increases. It seems to come from the top of the driver's door. I wondered if there are any known issues and remedies? I noticed when I bought the car a few months ago that the previous owner must have repeatedly closed the door on the seat-belt buckle causing damage to the rubber seal, however, the noise definitely seems to come from higher up. I am on the lookout for a replacement door seal, but I'm not sure this will cure the problem (though it might eliminate it as a cause). Any advice or comments gratefully received.

Stag>75
8th July 2015, 04:46
This has nothing to do with either the state of digestion or my age - I have become aware after one or two motorway trips, that there is a fair amount of wind noise generated as speed increases. It seems to come from the top of the driver's door. I wondered if there are any known issues and remedies? I noticed when I bought the car a few months ago that the previous owner must have repeatedly closed the door on the seat-belt buckle causing damage to the rubber seal, however, the noise definitely seems to come from higher up. I am on the lookout for a replacement door seal, but I'm not sure this will cure the problem (though it might eliminate it as a cause). Any advice or comments gratefully received.

Mine does the same. I have never traced it. I did consider taping up a section at a time (Window down, placing tape from inside ..) but not sure if that would also cause noise. For me it happens at the same speed as yours, all my rubber seals seem fine.

Paulym
8th July 2015, 06:28
Hi Guys

My MK1 75 Connie does the same TBH. It is quite amazing that as it hits the right speed the noise starts like flicking a switch.

I would love to get to the bottom of it as it does tend to detract a little from the experience. Seals all seem fine to me.

Hope someone on here has the magic formula to clear this little annoyance

ATB

Phil-T4
8th July 2015, 06:51
Check the door is aligned properly first, if it is, drop the window down, hold the door and push at the top of the frame slightly bend it in.

Mike24
8th July 2015, 07:05
I remember seeing a thread on here about checking the boot seal for leaks by putting a strip of paper at various places around the seal, closing the boot and then trying to pull the piece of paper out; if it comes out with little or no resistance it means that the seal is not being compressed sufficiently at that point. I wonder if the same technique would work with the door seal?

FlashHarry
8th July 2015, 08:26
I get that noise also. Gave up looking for it.