PDA

View Full Version : Advice please.

Heddy
8th July 2015, 10:14
Hi all, would a facelift (04) diesel alternator fit a Mk1 diesel 75?
Cheers

T-Cut
8th July 2015, 10:39
They had different part numbers and then became one - according to the Rimmer site: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001612

Presumably, the latest part number will be OK. Don't know how to tell tho.

TC

Dorset Bob
8th July 2015, 10:44
Well the Gospel according to Rimmers is that you can use the same alternator for early and late versions. :shrug:
:smilie_re: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID001612

Heddy
8th July 2015, 11:42
Thank you both. Exploring the options, the guy who is fixing it takes it off, takes it to a motor factors and they replace all that's worn/broken for around £30. I know both these guys well so that's the way to go. The scrappy has the facelift one for £35 but who knows what state it's in:shrug:

DMGRS
8th July 2015, 12:19
That's a good plan - they'll probably just change the brush / reg pack, but that's all that is usually wrong anyway. Very common issue. :)

MSS
8th July 2015, 20:16
Thank you both. Exploring the options, the guy who is fixing it takes it off, takes it to a motor factors and they replace all that's worn/broken for around £30. I know both these guys well so that's the way to go. The scrappy has the facelift one for £35 but who knows what state it's in:shrug:

Getting your existing one repaired is the best option.

Replacement of the regulator/brush pack by an auto electrics place should cost around £30 to £40. If you include new front and rear bearings, about £60.

If buying the later 3-pin alternator from breakers as a replacement, it's worth having it rebuilt prior to fitting, including fitting a new rotor as that is a common failure point on the 120Amp 3-pin Valeo and eventually goes open circuit. Total cost of a rebuild including new rotor is about £100.

The option to avoid is buying a replacement Chinese alternator - the types selling for around £100 on the auction sites and through factors.

ps the comment about the common failure point on the 120A valeo is from my own experience as well as the experience of the local alternator repair workshop who have been in the same business for 30 years.