PDA

View Full Version : Lower Engine Mount Need Changing?

Rick-sta
8th July 2015, 16:27
Over the last couple of weeks, when I switch the engine off the engine seems to jolt forwards and back a couple of times (quickly) which causes my whole exhaust system to knock. I take it as this would be caused by the lower engine mount?

Cheers,
Rick :)

David Lawrence
8th July 2015, 17:59
Over the last couple of weeks, when I switch the engine off the engine seems to jolt forwards and back a couple of times (quickly) which causes my whole exhaust system to knock. I take it as this would be caused by the lower engine mount?

Cheers,

It is highly likely yes. Undertray off, slide under and take a look, if it is as bad as you describe should be easy to see the damage.

Dmgrs sells well priced new oem ones, and its only 2 x 15mm bolts to change it. 10 minute job.

jonathan63
8th July 2015, 18:14
If it has just started doing this I'm with David on this one....but, in my opinion, you will have to take the lower mount off to test it properly. David is right that if it is completely shagged you it will be obvious eevn when it is still on the car but if it is just split it will look fine until you get a pry bar in the end of the large bush.

It is only a 5 minute job to remove. 2 x 14mm bolts. No nuts to worry about. Slid it out, put a pry bar or large screw driver through the big bush end and lever it sideways. It will probably reveal a split through the rubber.

ProfDave
8th July 2015, 20:18
I have not had a SH 75/ZT on which this has not been required so I would say if you have not done it yes; easy to check on the CDTi; whip it off and look for any cracks. DMGRS has good ones..

daznkel
8th July 2015, 22:22
Mine had a split in it when I replaced the clutch and slave some time ago and I ignored it! Now gone completely I think. As you say it jolts on switching the engine off, as well as a clunk sometimes on clutch take up, when going from 1st to reverse and vice versa. Also the rattling/vibration from the centre console.

Having done a bit of searching, there is only a few quid difference between Mat's price for a new one and poly bushing the existing one.

Jakg
8th July 2015, 23:12
That sounds like the lower engine mount - I would recommend a powerflex replacement, though.

If yours has a high mileage it's worth checking the hydramount also - they suffer as well.

mcd840
8th July 2015, 23:25

Cheers,

Hi there. I ordered a lower rear mount today for my 75 diesel for the exact reason you describe along with a few small others. Got it from Dmgrs

Dragrad
8th July 2015, 23:34
Thread moved to appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old ;)

Kennyeth
9th July 2015, 06:23
It will feel like a new car when you have done it, mine was so bad that it snapped the rear exhaust box fastening strap.
Ken.

Rick-sta
9th July 2015, 08:33
Nice one thanks all :) Will take a look into it ;)