PDA

View Full Version : Temperature gauge

jps
11th July 2015, 10:34
Hello members, i am having a problem with the temperature gauge it only gets to the correct temperature when i have driven between 15 and 20 miles which is just under half on the gauge and that is were it stays i have owned the car for 4 years and in that time i have only done 2700 miles i don't know if this is anything to do with it or the sensor is faulty all help would be appreciated cheers joe.

T-Cut
11th July 2015, 10:45
If you're talking about the 2004 1.8 engine then I'd suggest the thermostat has packed up. It may well have a PRT, so check that so you know what to buy. You must have cold toes in winter!

You should be aware that the temperature gauge that comes with the 75/ZT is pretty much for decoration. The 'normal' point (at 9 o'clock on the dial) covers anything between 75C and 115C, so you're pretty much in the dark until it's too late. Yours seems to have a running temperature under 75C. For accurate temperature display, try running the trip screen in diagnostic mode. The 1.8 should typically run at 90C plus/minus a couple of degrees.

Diagnostic mode (section 7):http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=55585

TC

andrewinpopayan
11th July 2015, 10:47
The dashboard temperature gauge doesn't work properly on any of the cars, it's a useless piece of decoration that only goes into the red AFTER you have ruined your engine.:shrug:

chipsceola
11th July 2015, 15:05
Hello members, i am having a problem with the temperature gauge it only gets to the correct temperature when i have driven between 15 and 20 miles which is just under half on the gauge and that is were it stays i have owned the car for 4 years and in that time i have only done 2700 miles i don't know if this is anything to do with it or the sensor is faulty all help would be appreciated cheers joe.

The 1.8 is designed from scratch for ultra quick warm up, working properly even on the coldest days you should get warmish air from the heater in under half a mile, that's for 1.8/1.8T with PRT or standard thermostat.

chiron_myth
11th July 2015, 20:33
The temperature gauge shows dead centre from around 70 degrees to 115 degrees, unlike the gauge in pretty much every other car which goes up and down with the temperature.

I think MGR's theory was that this is the "normal" operating temperature for the engine, therefore no need to worry the owner with the changing temperature. The only downside is that when it gets close to 115, you're at the border of the danger zone and have no warning. When my last head gasket went, the temperature gauge went from middle to red in less than 1/4 mile when I pulled off the motorway. :eek:

I've fitted a digital temperature gauge to mine and it has given me a much less stressful driving experience because I know exactly what temperature the engine is at without having to use the diagnostics on the dashboard.

SD1too
11th July 2015, 22:48
The temperature gauge shows dead centre from around 70 degrees to 115 degrees, unlike the gauge in pretty much every other car which goes up and down with the temperature.
I think you're a bit behind the times with that one John! :D In the case of the 75/ZT I believe that the idea was BMW's (I drove a 2002 3 series which was exactly the same).

Simon

SD1too
11th July 2015, 22:49
... it only gets to the correct temperature when i have driven between 15 and 20 miles ..
Joe,

Another possibility is that Mr. Previous Owner or a garage has taken out the thermostat completely.

Simon