PDA

View Full Version : V6 2 litre vibration

jimi
11th July 2015, 15:36
Driving up hill (not steep) at about 40mph and the engine suddenly started 'grinding or growling' with lots of vibration and there was a slight loss of power.

Exhaust OK. Only have vibration and growling when accelerate and use power. Engine starts and ticks over fine.

Oil OK. Temp OK. You can feel the vibration through the whole car as if something has come loose in the engine. Don't seem to be any gearbox issues.

Any suggestions - besides take it to the garage?

gazcaz
11th July 2015, 16:36
Check drive shafts,discs and calipers ie one isnt sticking on,engine mounts and wheel bearings,Strange one....good luck

jimi
11th July 2015, 16:50
Pulled out front 3 plugs one at a time to see if one is not firing - and they are working fine. Can't reach the back ones, but I am wondering if nearside rear cylinder is not firing. I will have another listen when it gets late and there is less background noise.

From starting the motor, you can feel the roughness of the engine. Ticks over at 800 rpm as it should.

jimi
12th July 2015, 12:50
No warning lights. Rough engine vibration. As if the exhaust was vibrating on the body of the car. But it is not. Can't get at the rear plugs to see if one is not firing.

gazcaz
12th July 2015, 14:32
Follow this:- http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=96350

Salad-Dodger
12th July 2015, 15:52
Hi Jimi. Remove the battery box to have a look at the engine mount on the gearbox. It may have collapsed. Another possible fault, maybe, is that the bearing carrier on the off-side drive shaft may have come loose. It bolts to the rear of the engine block. You can check this by grabbing hold of said shaft and give it an up and down tug.
While you have it in the air, (on axle stands), just have a good look at what turns round while driving, like wheel bearings and the like. Hope you get sorted.
Steve (also in Medway!)

jimi
13th July 2015, 21:01
The first thing I checked was the exhaust on Saturday, but it was getting dark and I did not realise it was loose. I was busy checking the lower engine mount today when I looked down the exhaust pipe again and noticed it was hanging in an odd way. So it looks like I will put off buying an XJ8 Jag or classic for a few months.

Currently welding my Commer van which will be finished later in Summer, then fixing engine and box of my Discovery which should be on the road in winter in time for snow. Hopefully.

Dragrad
14th July 2015, 00:29
Thread moved to appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old.;)