PDA

View Full Version : Replacing alternator on a cdti

albert81
11th July 2015, 17:36
Evening everyone....
While i was driving down the M1 this morning got a charging fault message on the lcd display.
Managed to find a cheap replacement 2 weeks old for £15 and i'm planning on attacking the job myself tomorrow.
Anyone can pls give me any pointers cause the job looks to be a real nightmare...
BEST REGARDS......ALBERT

albert81
11th July 2015, 17:37
That's the message....

Heddy
11th July 2015, 18:17
Exactly what I have at the moment Albert. There are threads on here detailing a fix I think, involves a regulator/brush kit. This can be done without removing the alternator but is fiddly. A used alternator is fine but it was pointed out to me that the kit should be fitted before attaching to the car (good advice mefinks) Not a job I fancied so having mine fixed on Wednesday. Getting tiresome now, charging off the car every day:duh:
Found this, courtesy David and of course Mike Noc, may be useful.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=1462953&postcount=1

Mike Noc
11th July 2015, 23:39
As you have a diesel Albert, the first thing to check is whether the alternator is actually charging or not, as a fault in the wiring loom can bring the alarm up even when the alternator is doing it's job.

If you check with a meter, the battery voltage should rise to over 14 volts with the engine idling.