PDA

View Full Version : Door locks and window rattle :(

Wayne2015
12th July 2015, 08:37
Hi

Picked up my MG ZT 2.5 V6 auto on Friday.

On return journey notice big rattling of the driver window.

Once home, documentations showed my car s door locks (nearly all of them) had been stripped down and repaired due to door locks not working.
In fact on the MOT it shows one door can't be shut! :eek:

May I ask:
1. Are the locks prone to failed on our cars?
2. If so, any fixes or upgrade mods ?
3. How to fix the driver window rattle (due to door card removed to fix locks?)?

Cheers all

RoverDan
12th July 2015, 11:39
Solenoids fail which affects the central (un)locking. Perhaps your rattle is simpler than that, bearing in mind your doors have been apart...

Are the door cards loose against the inside of the window? This will cause/increase rattles. Push the top of the door card back in line with the window, and thump it down in about 6 places along its length with a clenched fist. Need to be quite brutal to get it to stick in the clips. Start at one end to line up and work along. My door cards seem to flex with hot/cold cycles (particularly if the car is left standing in hot weather) and come loose at the windows even when they are correctly clipped in (see below).

Next have a search here on door cards and clips, and inner door handles. Check that the door cards were replaced correctly, including the two awkward middle clips (for fronts). When you have the door card off you'll see that the locking peg can rattle where it comes through the card, sometimes there is adhesive padding there sometimes it is ineffective. Check all plastic clips are unbroken and correctly lined up, often a few squashed/broken ones remain where the previous garage/owner has done a minimal repair.

Read up on the inner door handles and chrome trim as it's easy to take them out, tricky to line them up to put them back in, and if you mistakenly take the chrome trims off the inner handles the chrome clips invariably break.

Wayne2015
12th July 2015, 12:56
Solenoids fail which affects the central (un)locking. Perhaps your rattle is simpler than that, bearing in mind your doors have been apart...

Are the door cards loose against the inside of the window? This will cause/increase rattles. Push the top of the door card back in line with the window, and thump it down in about 6 places along its length with a clenched fist. Need to be quite brutal to get it to stick in the clips. Start at one end to line up and work along. My door cards seem to flex with hot/cold cycles (particularly if the car is left standing in hot weather) and come loose at the windows even when they are correctly clipped in (see below).

Next have a search here on door cards and clips, and inner door handles. Check that the door cards were replaced correctly, including the two awkward middle clips (for fronts). When you have the door card off you'll see that the locking peg can rattle where it comes through the card, sometimes there is adhesive padding there sometimes it is ineffective. Check all plastic clips are unbroken and correctly lined up, often a few squashed/broken ones remain where the previous garage/owner has done a minimal repair.

Read up on the inner door handles and chrome trim as it's easy to take them out, tricky to line them up to put them back in, and if you mistakenly take the chrome trims off the inner handles the chrome clips invariably break.

Thanks Dan.

Wow - sounds like a lot more work than cars I had in the past which was a case of a couple of screws and then unhook...

RayH
12th July 2015, 18:10
This may help Wayne
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=79190&highlight=refitting+door+cards