PDA

View Full Version : Thread showing how to for rad fan motor rebush

Rovering
12th July 2015, 09:49
Hi all,
I have just ordered a set of bushes/brushes, whichever the term is, from ECP.
This is to hopefully reinstate all three speeds in my 2.5 V6 Club.
I only have the high speed working, and want to have a go at repairing it.

I once saw a thread that showed the removal of fan, and shroud etc and internals of motor. There were step by step photos in it too.

Unfortunately I now can't find it. Even after doing a fair few searches with different wording.
Can anyone help me please?
I thought I had saved the thread to my reading list, but have either deleted it by mistake, or not saved it properly!
Cheers,
Graeme

suffolk boy
12th July 2015, 10:04
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=387615&postcount=10

RoverDan
12th July 2015, 11:48
I heard grumblings about the longevity of the brush replacement. I did mine on the estate last year, clearly the brushes had worn right down. I assumed therefore that new correct spec brushes would sort it, perhaps the nay-sayers' fans had other issues... Fan failed again this year, I'd guess 4,000-6,000 miles later, so it was off with the bumper again and then a Revotec fan kit from Jules went on in its place. This time I didn't bother to take the motor apart to look.

Having done four fan repairs/replacements (plus troubleshooting that eventually found a short in the fan control box wiring after 2x bumper off checks), I've had the bumpers off enough times to not really want to do the job again unless absolutely necessary! Not difficult, but it's five hours of your life gone ;)

Two of Jules' 2 speed Rover replacements have done 4 years and 2 years and still going strong, IIRC, but the Revotec is a recent fitment - quality parts, but only been on a couple of months so far.

T-Cut
12th July 2015, 13:51
I heard grumblings about the longevity of the brush replacement. - - - I assumed therefore that new correct spec brushes would sort it, - - - Fan failed again this year, I'd guess 4,000-6,000 miles later.

A successful DIY repair needs more than new brushes of the correct spec. Equally important is the state of the commutator, field windings and the armature bearings. The commutator needs to be in good shape without sinificant rough spots or grooves. You can check for slop in the bush bearings, but you can't see nor do anything about the rest. Some will succeed, some won't.

TC

SD1too
12th July 2015, 15:25
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=387615&postcount=10
In addition to the above guide Graeme, you will also find lots of helpful photographs and tips posted by Arctic, including examples of the commutator wear just mentioned.

Don't be put off renewing your brushes by the Revotec shareholders! :D Only a small number of repairs have failed, but they're usually the ones which get the publicity which can give a false impression. I'm not sure whether RoverDan bought his brushes from Engineering Carbon Products or e-bay, but it's usually the latter source which results in a short life.

Simon

FrenchMike
12th July 2015, 15:45
Hi all,

have you noticed the date ? for info,it's still running fine (40 kmiles since)

Effectively,better to intervene before the break :shrug:

Mike

RoverDan
12th July 2015, 18:00
I'm not sure whether RoverDan bought his brushes from Engineering Carbon Products or e-bay

Hi Simon - they were from ECP.

SD1too
12th July 2015, 19:02
OK Dan, thanks. As T-Cut says, the most probable explanation is that your motor was defective in some other way. I'm not aware of anyone else who has been unsuccessful with ECP brushes. I think that you were unlucky, and so the Revotec option was best for you.

Simon

Rovering
13th July 2015, 09:24
Thanks all for your comments,
As I said, I shall have a go at this, and if it does not fix the problem, I will be going to contact Jules and obtaining a Revotec fan from him.
I want to try first, some might say I was better spending the money on a Revotec fan straight away. But!, I like to try out this sort of thing, and as Simon has stated, there have been a fair few who have done alright with just a re kit of the brushes/bushes.
Watch this space!
Graeme

ceedy
13th July 2015, 12:13
I fitted a bosch motor from a VX something in 2009 on the CDTI and set it up as a 2 speeder with a 680 ohm resistor and it still going strong.;)
Not a straight swap but..

C.