PDA

View Full Version : Wiring loom behind glovebox for towing

mcd840
12th July 2015, 21:21
http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/mcd1149/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0009_zpsccyq0pww.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Hi all. Can you take a look at the imagine that I put up and tell me if the wire that's in a hoop and secured with black tape is the wire that some of you have taken the feed for your bypass relays from? Also when behind the glovebox and looking at the loom from the fusebox there is a few cables that are joined and insulated with blue tape, you can see one or two in the photo. I'm just curious if they come from the factory like this or if things have been done by a previous owner

Cheers

http://i1351.photobucket.com/albums/p791/mcd1149/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0009_zpsccyq0pww.jpg

Dragrad
12th July 2015, 21:27
Thread moved to appropriate forum. Re-direct left in old.;)

Richym
12th July 2015, 22:14
Yes the orange and purple/pink is the one you can use. You will have to connect it at the fuse box as well

Richy

mcd840
12th July 2015, 22:19
When you say connect do you mean stick a fuse in the under bonnet fuse box?

Cheers

mcd840
13th July 2015, 17:19
anyone else got any input on the wires that are taped up behind here ??

wullie480
13th July 2015, 17:35
anyone else got any input on the wires that are taped up behind here ??

All looks OEM to me.

As already said you'll need to connect it to the under bonnet fusebox.
I picked up a plug to fit it into but some have managed without it.

mcd840
13th July 2015, 18:06
thanks for that, i just didnt immagine loom to come from the factory with insulation tape on it, when you say connect to the under bonnet fuse box do you mean a wire needs to be connected or a fuse put in place ? wish there was a how to for this

cheers

mcd840
17th July 2015, 19:05
can someone be specific here regarding this wire behind the glovebox as i have read about it getting connected in the under bonnet fusebox - if so, where exactly ? also i can see nothing in my handbook regarding a fuse for any towing electrics in the under bonnet fuse box.

i have also just read a post about the wire in the glovebox - remove the glovebox fuse box and plug this wire into the rear of the fuse box and put a fuse in number 22, so which is it ?

cheers

raykay
18th July 2015, 10:48
can someone be specific here regarding this wire behind the glovebox as i have read about it getting connected in the under bonnet fusebox - if so, where exactly ? also i can see nothing in my handbook regarding a fuse for any towing electrics in the under bonnet fuse box.

i have also just read a post about the wire in the glovebox - remove the glovebox fuse box and plug this wire into the rear of the fuse box and put a fuse in number 22, so which is it ?

cheers

In early cars the 3 cables for joining the MGR towing kit to the car loom are in a connector behind the gove box.

In later cars, as you have found, only the main power cable is there - not connected to anything. One end taped to the loom behind the glove box, the other end under the engine compartment fuse panel. The other cables and connectors are in a Link Kit, part no. YMZ000150.

The fuse for that circuit is one of the larger 'fusible links' (not specified in the handbook), not one of the the normal size fuses.

A towing kit would usually need an ignition feed as well, that could be from one of the fuses in the passenger fuse panel.

mcd840
18th July 2015, 13:48
In early cars the 3 cables for joining the MGR towing kit to the car loom are in a connector behind the gove box.

In later cars, as you have found, only the main power cable is there - not connected to anything. One end taped to the loom behind the glove box, the other end under the engine compartment fuse panel. The other cables and connectors are in a Link Kit, part no. YMZ000150.

The fuse for that circuit is one of the larger 'fusible links' (not specified in the handbook), not one of the the normal size fuses.

A towing kit would usually need an ignition feed as well, that could be from one of the fuses in the passenger fuse panel.

thanks for clearing that up, so in my case i want to locate this wire under the under bonnet fuse box, connect it up, get a fusible link in place and take a feed from the other end of it behind the glovebox and run a cable into the boot to give me a live supply for the bypass relay for single towing electrics. whats the minimum size fusible link you can get ? ie 20, 30 etc ?

cheers

raykay
18th July 2015, 14:56
thanks for clearing that up, so in my case i want to locate this wire under the under bonnet fuse box, connect it up, get a fusible link in place and take a feed from the other end of it behind the glovebox and run a cable into the boot to give me a live supply for the bypass relay for single towing electrics. whats the minimum size fusible link you can get ? ie 20, 30 etc ?

cheers

It connects to 50amp fusible link 11, which is already there.
It shares it with one of the power feeds to the Light Switch Module.

mcd840
18th July 2015, 18:08
It connects to 50amp fusible link 11, which is already there.
It shares it with one of the power feeds to the Light Switch Module.

Im with you now. I have just removed the under bonnet fuse box to find the wire tucked away underneath and could see the spare hole in the blue connector. Is there other guys on here who have used this as a feed for there bypass relays ?

http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/mcd1149/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0010_zpsy09aq2hg.jpg.html?o=1

mcd840
18th July 2015, 22:16
http://s1351.photobucket.com/user/mcd1149/media/Mobile%20Uploads/DSC_0011_zpsz2npz5qk.jpg.html

when removing the wire from the loom it was taped up in i managed to snap the connector,