PDA

View Full Version : V6 misfire, bad starting, cutting out.

Robbybb
13th July 2015, 11:44
I'm getting random problems with my '04 V6.
A typical scenario can be a decent cold start, albeit after turning over on the key maybe a dozen times then ticking over with anything from a slight hint of a misfire to sometimes really lumpy. On driving away the engine still hesitates but pulls really well but the misfire can become worse then, sometimes, the check engine light comes on and the the misfire disappears for a while or is, at least, barely noticeable. On the motorway at a steady 70 the car seems fine but last time, at the end of the off slip road the engine died when I pulled up and refused to start again. It was trying to fire but never quite caught. On my son's advice I disconnected the battery for 15 minutes to supposedly rest the ecu and we got started and made it home. It did it again twice yesterday but restarted after about 20 minutes without disconnecting the battery.
In general, there's no pattern to it. Fuel consumption is never better than 24mpg, tailpipes are sooty, but power seems pretty good. My son's £25 FC reader brought up 0300 and 0304, random / pot4 misfire and also P1319. What's that one? I can't imagine a single faulty ht coil causing all this.
Any ideas?
Rob B

Addendum. Obvious step is to swap over coils 4 and 6, clear codes and see what comes up next time. Thanks to all who posted hints and how to's on accessing these babies. Here goes.