PDA

View Full Version : intercooler o rings change...

super s
13th July 2015, 21:23
i ve made repalcing for the vitton orings something like 8 months ago...

it was very black in place where the pipe fitted the car and very purous...

after this months i was chekimg it often and it was dry,,, but in the last days i am seeing the pipe and round of it becoming purous again...

i am asking if its normal or shouldn t never became purous again???

Kennyeth
14th July 2015, 08:33
i ve made repalcing for the vitton orings something like 8 months ago...

it was very black in place where the pipe fitted the car and very purous...

after this months i was chekimg it often and it was dry,,, but in the last days i am seeing the pipe and round of it becoming purous again...

i am asking if its normal or shouldn t never became purous again???

Did you replace the intercooler hose or just the O-Rings?
If you renewed the hose then no it should not have stated to perish.
Ken.

super s
14th July 2015, 09:36
no i have not changed the hose...

only the orings...

i think i will push out the hose again and put some silicone where the orings are fitted.. after cleaning again ..

think it helps???

Kennyeth
14th July 2015, 11:12
no i have not changed the hose...

only the orings...

i think i will push out the hose again and put some silicone where the orings are fitted.. after cleaning again ..

think it helps???

I don`t think you should do that.
I am sure someone will come on soon and give you more advice.
Anyone thare to help the person??? Please.
Ken.

DMGRS
14th July 2015, 15:55
XPart did a bit of work on this problem (it's common, mine keeps popping out too!) and came up with this:
Stainless Steel Intercooler Elbow (http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/pipework/products/r75-mg-zt-stainless-steel-intercooler-outlet-pipe-pnp101262-cdti-models)

It's a stainless steel version of the original item, designed to resolve the problem. I've only sold a handful, but feedback has been good.

Alternatively, using a self-tapper to hold the elbow into the intercooler has been reported to work well too. :)

super s
14th July 2015, 16:58
thanks all of you...

i think the elbow is fitted properly, i think it did not pop out, but is becoming black dirty again and porous..

i will pop it out again to clean and fit it again in place...

the vitton orings were fitted properly in last time that i did, 8 months ago...

i did not knew that the elbow could come out of place...

when i fitted i pushed it down in place and it seemed that it was properly seated..

ok... no silicone then, and any more information that could give to me???

the selftap you are talking is just to reduce the space between the elbow and place to fit it???

super s
14th July 2015, 16:59
XPart did a bit of work on this problem (it's common, mine keeps popping out too!) and came up with this:
Stainless Steel Intercooler Elbow (http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/pipework/products/r75-mg-zt-stainless-steel-intercooler-outlet-pipe-pnp101262-cdti-models)

It's a stainless steel version of the original item, designed to resolve the problem. I've only sold a handful, but feedback has been good.

Alternatively, using a self-tapper to hold the elbow into the intercooler has been reported to work well too. :)

thank you mat...

i will try first to see it again and fit it again..

cheers

Stickman
14th July 2015, 19:34
The self tapper is useful to stop the pipe being blown out m8
I was on my way back from holiday in Devon once and pulled out at the bottom of a hill on a dual carriageway - gave the car a large dose of the right foot only to be confronted with a sudden loss of power and clouds of black smoke :duh:
Low and behold the elbow had been blown out of it's socket under boost !
But in my case there was only a couple of cable ties holding it in I discovered :shrug:
Regards
Chris

super s
14th July 2015, 20:46
thanks chris...

what a situation you were in...

in my case i have never felt loss of power and also no difference when i put the oring vitton, so i suppose the elbow never get out of place, however it stil becoming black dirty and porous in that location...

the self taped is putted right after or before the orings are placed...???

super s
16th July 2015, 16:29
so everybody any help about the position of the self tap??

i am not taking the bumper off, like the last time i will work by above...

Kennyeth
17th July 2015, 05:23
so everybody any help about the position of the self tap??

i am not taking the bumper off, like the last time i will work by above...

I`m not sure but I do not think you can do it without the Plastic elbow/bend either off the car or bumper off.
I found you this link that Jules put on a while back.
Good luck
Ken.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showpost.php?p=1190950&postcount=31

super s
17th July 2015, 09:11
the elbow i will take out, and clean again...

the explanation you let me from jules with the driling i think i have to take the bumper, but i dont know how to do it...

i thot i could just put some tape to reduce the gap between the elbow and the fitting of it in the cooler...

taht will work???

Kennyeth
17th July 2015, 13:09
the elbow i will take out, and clean again...

the explanation you let me from jules with the driling i think i have to take the bumper, but i dont know how to do it...

i thot i could just put some tape to reduce the gap between the elbow and the fitting of it in the cooler...

taht will work???

This should help you with the bumper:
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=204
Ken.

andrewinpopayan
17th July 2015, 16:40
I replaced the "O" rings and used a "Tech" screw to anchor the pipe in :}

super s
18th July 2015, 09:39
a tech screw???

not following...

that dyi about taking the bumper is great, but i will not risc doing alone...

i will do it again from above just trying to understand how the self tap is inserted???

Kennyeth
18th July 2015, 10:33
a tech screw???

not following...

that dyi about taking the bumper is great, but i will not risc doing alone...

i will do it again from above just trying to understand how the self tap is inserted???

These type, I think:

http://www.allpointsfasteners.com/WhatAreTekScrews.html

I have just done mine (someone did it for me) and did not use any screws, I did do the "elbow mod" so that it has three Viton O-rings.
Ken.

super s
18th July 2015, 11:14
ok....

now i see...

i thought everyone was talking about some kind of adhesive or glue or tape you know???

i was confuse also, my english is not very good... everyone were just talking a screw ...

now i understand but to do so i really have to take the bumper, so i dont think i will...

i will take out i clean everithing e see if the orings are in perfect place...

i think so but............

news coming next.

thanks all

Kennyeth
18th July 2015, 12:42
ok....

now i see...

i thought everyone was talking about some kind of adhesive or glue or tape you know???

i was confuse also, my english is not very good... everyone were just talking a screw ...

now i understand but to do so i really have to take the bumper, so i dont think i will...

i will take out i clean everithing e see if the orings are in perfect place...

i think so but............

news coming next.

thanks all

Glad you understand a little better now.
Did you understand what I said about the extra O-Ring modification??
Inbetween where the o-rings fit there is another groove and that has 4 tiny bit`s of plastic, if you saw down these and file it smooth you will end up being able to place an extra o-ring in the new groove you just made.
Let me know.....and I will find you the how-to
Ken.

super s
18th July 2015, 16:22
i saw the extra oring mod you made...

but, did it make difference for you???

did really improve the situation for you???

thanks again.

Kennyeth
19th July 2015, 04:53
i saw the extra oring mod you made...

but, did it make difference for you???

did really improve the situation for you???

thanks again.

Mine has only been on a week and I have not been out in the car very much.
To tell the truth I would not know what to "look for" as long as it stays in place I will be happy.
Ken.

super s
19th July 2015, 10:30
right...

i think mine elbow is also in place, i just dont know thus it becoming dirty again if the orings that i placed are the viton...

dadragon
19th July 2015, 11:04
super s, I don't know the mileage or condition of your boost hose but it sounds to me that your hose is probably due for a replacement. It sounds like your either not tightening the hose clip enough or due to the hose being worn then you can't get enough tightness on it. It doesn't matter how good or how many O rings you fit, if the hose is leaking it will still leave oil residue. I think the 3 ring idea is a good one as this will provide extra grip for the elbow. I changed my O rings for the Viton ones (only 2 though)and also put on a silicone boost hose from Wullie on here. I also changed the rings on my wife's CDTi and put my old hose on hers as her mileage is significantly higher than mine and her boost hose was shockingly swollen and leaking oil. I would change the hose and make sure you tighten the clip good and tight. The best position to do this when working from the top of the car is to put the clip at 45 degrees with the screw part pointing towards the centre of the bonnet and against the inner wing, then using a long screw driver (or small socket) you can get plenty of tightness on the clip. Mine and my wife's was done a good few months back and both are fine and dry. Hope this helps?. :}
Regards DaDragon

super s
19th July 2015, 12:49
helps very much...
all.of you usres have been very helpful and i am aprecciated for that...

i will clean it tomorrow or tuesday and then thigt the hose very well...

mine is also very worn and swollen but not with any hole...

that silicone hose were you get it, how do i get one for me???

here in portugal there are not many specilists in the mg rover like you over there...

dadragon
19th July 2015, 13:55
super s, http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=183775&highlight=silicone+hose Here is a link for your hose.
Regards DaDragon (Roger)

super s
21st July 2015, 20:32
hello again...

so today i toke the elbow of the cooler and cleaned everithing, when reffited i putted just a tiny layer of gasket silicone i had, just a small bit over the orings and in the gap between them...

fitted again and seemed ok...

lets wait to see how it goes...

but the hose is enormous, lokes like na elephant nouse, its really swolen...

so i think the problema is the hose, when took the elbow the first oring was not on the elbow but it was in the cooler fitment...

thanks again all of you...

next purchase will be covers for windshield from dmgrs and the hose for the ic in this link...