PDA

View Full Version : Engine overheating

Kalle
15th July 2015, 21:10
Hallo Rover experts.

I'm new here and I'd like to introduce myself first. Carl here ex pat now living in Germany after doing my time in the army and proud owner of a 1999 Rover 75 2.0 in which I've done almost 124000mi with absolutely no real probs apart from the usaual brakes, exhaust, battery and service business, until yesterday! I was on the Autobahn doing around 70 when the car started to stutter and it then got worse until the point where she died on me and I ended up at the side of the road and there was no way to get her going again... tow truck! Do any of you experts have any idea what it could be? A little history. A week ago I had a Problem with the cooling System, pipe blew which was odd because it happened after I turned the air con on, before that everything was fine!? Had that sorted out and everything was ok... I thought. then this thing yesterday. What I did notice is that before it happened I had warm moist air flowing into the cabin which I've never had before, could this have something to do with the problem? whatever guys, I would be grateful for any advise or help you can give me because my mechanic is good but he's at a bit of a lose at the Moment and dosen't want to start changeing stuff he dosen't need to and I want my 75 back! Cheers

trebor
15th July 2015, 21:20
Welcome Carl

Was it overheating or did it just die ? Where was the temp gauge when it cut out was it past the normal quarter to nine position ? Was there any steam ? Are you losing coolant ? Just trying to establish if it actually overheated or could be something else ?

Take off the engine cover and look in the "V" of the engine for coolant which might be leaking from the thermostat

A common failure is the fuel filter coming apart in the fuel tank, needs an orange clip to fix it , plenty of threads on this if you do a search

Kalle
15th July 2015, 21:25
Hi trebor, thanks for the quick reply! To answer your question, thats the thing thats bugging me, I can't see any connection between the overheating and the fuel problem but the heater was definately blowing warm damp air and then she died, the temp guage was normal? I don't think I'm losing coolant but I'll have a look tomorrow.

trebor
15th July 2015, 22:45
You should also be testing your fan to make sure it is operating correctly

T-Cut
16th July 2015, 08:49
What I did notice is that before it happened I had warm moist air flowing into the cabin which I've never had before

I guess the aircon system was operating when this happened. The only way I can see how warm damp air could be blown from the interior heating system is from the evaporator matrix. This is usually freezing cold and some condensate may well freeze. It usually drips off and discharged from under the car. If the radiator fan has failed, the aircon system will start overheating, which means the water on the evaporator will warm up and be blown into the cab as warm damp air. As suggested, you should check the slow speed operation of the fan. Run the Demist test (search 'demist test')

TC.

roverbarmy
16th July 2015, 19:10
Is your plenum chamber dry? A build up of rainwater in there can affect the ECU and the air for the aircon/heating/ventilation comes through there too.:shrug: