PDA

View Full Version : Smoke from dipstick and oil filler

beamform
16th July 2015, 20:42
Today I picked up a mg zt 120 , tidy car but the previous owner said it kept cutting out , so I charged the battery ,turned the key and it started first time no problem ,but after a short time I noticed as the oil warmed up smoke came out of the dipstick and oil filler cap ,breather pipes look clean but I did notice that the oil service light was long overdue.i must admit I do fear the worst or am I missing something on the breathing side of things..with the top breather pipes connected the car struggles to tick over when I diconect them the car idles better

T-Cut
16th July 2015, 21:29
The engine has enough oil presumably?

TC

beamform
16th July 2015, 21:39
Oil levels are fine all be it very black , the bit that confuses most is when I reconnect the breathers back to the rocker cover the car struggle to idle which give the impression of blocked pies etc.My plan tomorrow is to check the plugs for obvious oil signs and do a compression test on all four cylinders

bear-mg
16th July 2015, 23:14
Cant beat a blocked pie...lol sounds like pcv one way valve could be blocked causing build up of pressure?

daznkel
16th July 2015, 23:33
:iagree: Definately a blockage somewhere as the crankcase is over pressurised.

Check and clean all breather hoses/pipes, PCV/Oil breather etc. I would not run it for too long like this though, or you will be popping oil seals all over!

Compression test is definitely a good idea!

beamform
17th July 2015, 09:02
Hi
Do 1.8 120 have PCv filters ?

Number 6
17th July 2015, 09:05
Hi
Do 1.8 120 have PCv filters ?

Thats what I thought,Thought it was only on the Diesel:shrug:

beamform
17th July 2015, 10:27
Ok update and bad news

Number 1 piston 85 psi
Number 2 105 psi
3 and 4 100 psi

These results were all taken with all the plugs out and using no oil in the piston

So conclusions is

Replacement engine , good news is the head is ok and can be used as a replacement for the next possible project

More good news as I just managed to pick up a low mileage 1.8 zs with a rear end smash
Thank u all for you comments