PDA

View Full Version : New Purchase: T4 Docking Station and HHT

rocco_meister
19th July 2015, 13:45
Hi All,

Having had good results with my Testbook T1, I managed to get hold of a T4 Docking station and a HHT, the Dock was fully working, but stopped taking to cars when it was transported, for some reason? I managed to purchase it cheap as it was faulty. Anyway after rebuilding my T1 with an SSD and other upgrades, I thought I would take on a new project and learn loads in the process. :D:D

So first job was to load Rover T4 RDS 5.06 on to a spare Dell laptop which I already happened to have, as the original laptop didn't come as part of the sale, this is why I managed to get the T4 cheap. I set the IP address of the laptop to 192.168.1.2, the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and the link speed to 10Mbps / Half Duplex, as per the fault finding guide on the HHT cd I have. Rebooted the laptop to keep the new network settings. I checked the T4 IP address of the dock and it is set to 192.168.1.3 which is also correct based on the info I have. I also checked the MDI-X switch was pushed in and it was, which is also correct based on the info I have. So I 'pinged' the dock from command line on the laptop and get a responce. So far every thing is looking good.

I connected the extension cable to the dock(thanks to Marinabrian :bowdown::bowdown:) and the Red lead to that, then to the car. Switched on the docking station, then booted up the laptop and loaded the diag cd for the 75. I started a communication session with the car, but I get no responce and the software says it doesn't see the extension or the red lead?:shrug::shrug:

If I do the same, but load a 2002 L322 Range Rover cd (same lead as a 75) it tries to talk to the car, after some time and comes up get LCS, but says no responce as you would expect as its a 75 not a L322:duh:.

I have loaded Land Rover V7 HHT sofware onto the laptop and it sees the T4 no problem over the network, so I think the laptop and network side are ok.

I believe the docking station was originally used with Land Rover RDS, if that makes any difference? However, the HHT has MG Rover v2.0 loaded on to it and it does only EOBD and Plip programming.

So my questions based on my above findings are?

1). Do I need to reload the software/firmware to the docking station? If so are the LR and MG Rover versions different? I have the special serial lead to do this if the network connection is not suitable, but no MG Rover software only LR. How would I go about getting hold of MG Rover HHT disc?

2). If I reload LR software on to the dock will I have to reload the HHT? And therefore loose the MG Rover functions, as I don't really want the HHT as a LR one.

If any of the T4 experts could help me with this problem, I would be eternally greatful as I usually like to sort things out myself, but I am not afraid to ask for help when I know there are people on here with more knowledge than me on this subject, but I am willing to learn.

Many Thanks,

Dave.

Anon3
19th July 2015, 15:44
the software says it doesn't see the extension or the red lead?

I know nothing about the ins and outs of T4 and forgot Win 95/98 or whatever years ago, but will guess you're missing a driver.

rocco_meister
19th July 2015, 15:50
Thanks for the reply and I don't wish to offend, but that is not how the T4 works. It talks to the Dock via LAN cable so drives aren't required, just IP addresses as my message. I have set the config as 'docking station' in the RDS software so as far as that is concerned everything should be happy.

Dave.

Anon3
19th July 2015, 16:01
Ah, ok.

At least my useless comment helped to keep the thread near the top for a while :}

And I'm now subscribed.

I'd love a T4 for personal use, but not at the stupid money they go for.

Danger_MouseUK
19th July 2015, 16:23
Are you during the LAN cable supplied, if is different one, might the setup require a crossover cable as, from what you've described, it would be effectively a peer to peer network?

rocco_meister
19th July 2015, 16:28
Thanks for the subscribe:}

Yes I agree they can go for good money, hence the fun I got by purchasing mine cheap:D

Also forgot to add, I have installed the RDS on Windows XP Pro SP3 does this make any difference to it being on XP Home?

Dave.

Are you during the LAN cable supplied, if is different one, might the setup require a crossover cable as, from what you've described, it would be effectively a peer to peer network?

Thanks for the reply, however:

I do have the original cable, and I'm sure it is a a normal cable not a cross over, but I am not at home at the moment to check.

I am using a new cable cause I thought that could be the original problem. Also if what you say was the case, surely I wouldn't be able to 'ping' the docking station? And I don't thing a crossover is needed as the MDI-X switch is on, on the docking station making the port effectively a cross over one, if my understanding is correct.

Also when I run HHT software, which runs without RDS I get comms as if everything is ok, and I can see what LR ecus are covered.

Dave.

Phil-T4
19th July 2015, 18:42
At some point the cable has been attached to the wrong port and blown the circuit inside.

rocco_meister
19th July 2015, 19:18
Hi Phil, many thanks for the reply, are you able to elaborate any on what you mean? Dave

Phil-T4
19th July 2015, 19:28
Well basically the extension cable gets forced into port 2 and blows a number of components and IC's, this seems to be a favourite past time at the land rover dealers with the SPX trolleys where they can't see the ports correctly.

I must have repaired between 8 and 10 now all with the same fault as you describe.

rocco_meister
19th July 2015, 19:30
At some point the cable has been attached to the wrong port and blown the circuit inside.

I understand what you mean, do you or anyone have the T4 maintenance cd and details of the loop back tester so I can prove this.

Dave.

Phil-T4
19th July 2015, 19:32
Yes I do have them and can check and repair your unit for you.

rocco_meister
19th July 2015, 20:37
Yes I do have them and can check and repair your unit for you.

Thanks Phil for the positive reply, what is the typical cost of the repair?

Dave.