PDA

View Full Version : CDTi odd cutting out

Stu C
19th July 2015, 19:18
Hi guys, can i have some help please? Been having some issues with the car cutting out and reading other threads on it, it seems to be having bizare symptoms :shrug:

It's a 2003 CDTi auto tourer. Seems theres no pattern with the problem as the in tank pumps working (can hear it whine) car 3/4 tank of diesel, oil and water no issues when going round a bend last week the car cut out. Pulled over put into nuetral and starts up no problem. Heading off put into drive and goes like stink when booting it.

Been fine until a couple days of ago on when on my parents drive, again 1/2 tank engine ticking over sorting prat nav out the car cuts out. Starts up but this time a bit more hesitant but fires up. I went to the Elan Valley today, stopped at traffic lights foot on the brake in drive and the revs start hunting. Pulls off and she drives ok. About half hour later the engine just cuts out when doing 50mph, no hesitation or anything just dies. Quicklywent into N and starts up, before going back into D.

It did this twice on the way back, but when going pulls like a train through the gears.

Would appreciate any help on this please :)

Many thanks

Stu

vincentfishing
19th July 2015, 19:33
similar random cutting out symptoms when my under bonnet pump started failing,it was only when i got a friend to look under bonnet while i repeatedly started it to see if he could see or hear anything that the pump stuck ,new pump sorted problem, hopefully its as straight forward for you

spyder
19th July 2015, 19:34
Have you checked that there is no water sloshing around in the plenums ?

wooly12345
19th July 2015, 19:46
Have you checked that there is no water sloshing around in the plenums ?

Second that!

RayH
19th July 2015, 20:48
Second that!

Third!

And do it now else you may end up, like me with my last 75, with a nice bill for repairing ECU :o

vincentfishing
20th July 2015, 08:07
let us know what it turns out to be !!

Mike Noc
20th July 2015, 08:17
When it cuts out does the engine oil light come on, and can you see the gear selection on the dash or does it read EP?

marinabrian
20th July 2015, 08:25
Definitely sounds like water in the plenum to me......check them now!!!

If you find the ECM has been for a swim, I can usually assist ;)

Brian :D

Stu C
20th July 2015, 11:58
Hi guys :)

Went to work this morning and the car took a good 5 times turning over trying to start. But when starting it wasn't trying to 'catch' and splutter into life, it was just turning over and over.

Checked the plenum with the engine ECU in it, bone dry. However, i have seen plenums mentioned what other is to check?

Started first time when coming home from work this morning, had head under the bonnet and can't hear see anything untowards going on. Can't for the life of me remember if it's got the orange clip fitted, might this be a problem? If so is it the pump thingy on the drivers side i check?

Annoyingly, no engine managment light to show any problems :( But this morning it felt very much as though no fuel was going through. Had it on the V8 when it got too hot, would just turn over and over till fuel got shoved through to the engine and went into life.

Trying to search and the functions not working for me, i assume there is a way to test the under bonnet pump? I just want to eliminate possibilities :)

Edit- Mike, when the car cuts out theres no EP or anything with the gears, but it comes up when it cuts out 'low engine oil pressure' ? Might it be a dodgy sensor as it's fine on the dipstick

Thanks for the help, its much appreciated as really need relaible car at 2am lol! XD

vincentfishing
20th July 2015, 12:40
my first symptom on ubp failing was having to turn engine over about five times, i panicked after it failed to start first time after 4th turn on verge of calling aa, it was all intermittent stalling after that,but would generally start after pulling over,, i reckon if you've got a spare 15 mins, sit in car and turn on ign wait for pump to finish making noise and repeat repeat repeat, if your lucky like i was it will eventually stick and make no noise on turning key, alternatively a cheap ubp on flea bay is 37 quid, its a quick relatively simple change and will either cure or illiminate problem, my cheap pump worked fine for a year till i sold car.:}

Mike Noc
20th July 2015, 13:54
Mike, when the car cuts out theres no EP or anything with the gears, but it comes up when it cuts out 'low engine oil pressure' ? Might it be a dodgy sensor as it's fine on the dipstick

Thanks for the help, its much appreciated as really need relaible car at 2am lol! XD

Don't worry about the low oil pressure alarm Stu - they do that when they stall. :D

Kennyeth
20th July 2015, 15:36
Third!

And do it now else you may end up, like me with my last 75, with a nice bill for repairing ECU :o

I`l give 4th :D
If it is then do something asap :eek:
In 2006 it cost my friend £998 for a new ECU in the Plenum Chamber.
Ken.

Stu C
20th July 2015, 16:05
I thought the oil thing was tads (they all do that sir) Had many a time on the 260 if i didnt get the clutch right with the cams lol!

Well, Ecu plenum is dry still but i thought i'd play wiggle the wire in the engine bay. Took the cover off and where the plug is for what i assume is the fueling, has the ron box thingy connected to it. Wiggled it and the engine started hunting. Took the tuning box off and it seems the last owner has roger'd the connector which looks like its worked its way loose over time.

Plugged the original wiring back in and went for a good long drive, a mix of steep hills and stop starting and no symptoms. Parked up earlier and will fire it up before i head for bed to make sure it starts, but fingers crossed i think this might be it. I do hope so though as it's my first real issue with the diesel, it's a new learning curve for me being used to the L-series from the stone age lol! :D

Will let y'all know tomorrow as always with my luck i say it's fixed, then it sneaks back up out of the blue!

RayH
20th July 2015, 18:08
I thought the oil thing was tads (they all do that sir) Had many a time on the 260 if i didnt get the clutch right with the cams lol!

Well, Ecu plenum is dry still but i thought i'd play wiggle the wire in the engine bay. Took the cover off and where the plug is for what i assume is the fueling, has the ron box thingy connected to it. Wiggled it and the engine started hunting. Took the tuning box off and it seems the last owner has roger'd the connector which looks like its worked its way loose over time.

Plugged the original wiring back in and went for a good long drive, a mix of steep hills and stop starting and no symptoms. Parked up earlier and will fire it up before i head for bed to make sure it starts, but fingers crossed i think this might be it. I do hope so though as it's my first real issue with the diesel, it's a new learning curve for me being used to the L-series from the stone age lol! :D

Will let y'all know tomorrow as always with my luck i say it's fixed, then it sneaks back up out of the blue!
Fingers crossed :D

RayH
20th July 2015, 18:09
I`l give 4th :D
If it is then do something asap :eek:
In 2006 it cost my friend £998 for a new ECU in the Plenum Chamber.
Ken.

Ouch! I was lucky in that mine was repairable but still cost me a couple of hundred :o