PDA

View Full Version : 2 stereos in car possible?

wullie480
20th July 2015, 09:35
Is it possible or just a silly idea?
I have a pioneer double din and it's not that old so not wanting to change it & I connect my iphone to it and can use it for sat nav, music and calling.

However I was looking at getting a stand alone sat nav but may have found a better one to use on my phone but when doing this I can't use the radio although I could fit the phone to the dash somewhere so I can see the screen and hear the prompts as it can be used without linking to the head unit

So this has got me thinking could I have 2 steros in the car the worked at the same time? double din to run the sat nav and a seperate one for day digital radio as that's what I'd be looking to fit single din probably where the ash tray is.
Is it possible or just a mad silly idea. :getmecoat:

What about wiring in?

maxxpump
20th July 2015, 09:52
Is it possible or just a silly idea?
I have a pioneer double din and it's not that old so not wanting to change it & I connect my iphone to it and can use it for sat nav, music and calling.

However I was looking at getting a stand alone sat nav but may have found a better one to use on my phone but when doing this I can't use the radio although I could fit the phone to the dash somewhere so I can see the screen and hear the prompts as it can be used without linking to the head unit

So this has got me thinking could I have 2 steros in the car the worked at the same time? double din to run the sat nav and a seperate one for day digital radio as that's what I'd be looking to fit single din probably where the ash tray is.
Is it possible or just a mad silly idea. :getmecoat:

What about wiring in?

I can't see why not, but where would you mount the second unit if you already have a DD in the main radio hole?

If you just wired it into the harness, cable to cable you might be able to, but depending on the power of the radio you may need a separate power connection.

But in theory I can't see why not!

mind you would only be able to hook up steering control to one head unit.

wullie480
20th July 2015, 11:26
I can't see why not, but where would you mount the second unit if you already have a DD in the main radio hole?

If you just wired it into the harness, cable to cable you might be able to, but depending on the power of the radio you may need a separate power connection.

But in theory I can't see why not!

mind you would only be able to hook up steering control to one head unit.

I just wanted to make sure it was possible although couldn't see why it wouldn't work which is why I thought I'd ask.

I'm planning on mounting the 2nd one if I go ahead anyway in where the lower ash tray and cup holders are fitted, I'm sure I've saw pics of it done and a tablet in the regular stereo position.