PDA

View Full Version : ABS Sensor test

Little-George
21st July 2015, 13:17
Hey guys long time no post, Had 2 years trouble free motoring.:D
Is it true that you can test a new ABS sensor by plugging it in and seeing if the light goes out before fitting?
I know what the fault is. Light comes on when starting to move. ABS light goes out on first test. New sensor I tried ( not ebay full price) wont pass first test when I simply plug it on without putting it into the hub. I want to be sure this is the case before I send it back.
Thanks.
Len

vincentfishing
21st July 2015, 14:37
fairly sure your right about testing without fitting,but, did you see this attachment/pic re test.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=20748&d=1362337539

Astraeus
21st July 2015, 14:58
Hey guys long time no post, Had 2 years trouble free motoring.:D
Is it true that you can test a new ABS sensor by plugging it in and seeing if the light goes out before fitting?
I know what the fault is. Light comes on when starting to move. ABS light goes out on first test. New sensor I tried ( not ebay full price) wont pass first test when I simply plug it on without putting it into the hub. I want to be sure this is the case before I send it back.
Thanks.
Len

Hi

Check that the two pins inside the connector are not bent. Also check that the connector is pushed together correctly. To reset everything ( just to be completely sure) disconnect battery for twenty minutes. Connect new ABS sensor, turn on ignition and ABS light should light briefly then go out. If it does not either your new sensor is duff or you have replaced the wrong one
( hopefully not)

Chris

Little-George
21st July 2015, 15:00
Yeah saw that. Did that one. That's how I narrowed the sensor down to playing up and turning the light on when moving. Awesome pic. New one I bought plugged it on and light wont go out before fitting so I guess its a dud. My luck
Awesome chris thanks also.
Ill get out there and do that right now. worth a try

Astraeus
21st July 2015, 15:09
Yeah saw that. Did that one. That's how I narrowed the sensor down to playing up and turning the light on when moving. Awesome pic. New one I bought plugged it on and light wont go out before fitting so I guess its a dud. My luck
Awesome chris thanks also.
Ill get out there and do that right now. worth a try

Should have mentioned...check the wiring from the plug back to car loom. I fixed one that was just a nipped wire where it went through a plastic clip. Nothing to do with Sensor. Worth a careful check.

Chris

Little-George
21st July 2015, 15:53
Thanks both Vincent and Chris.
The battery reset did the trick. Light went out. So sensor is good and can be tested off the car as I thought. Midges are out now so Ill go under tomorrow, Wish me luck, I know this is a joy of a job.
Thanks again

Little-George
23rd July 2015, 17:28
Update
Thanks guys. 2 hours of ohh and arring and a bit of a nervous time with a drill. All's good.