PDA

View Full Version : Just not my week…

bikerdude666
21st July 2015, 19:31
Well on top of my passenger door problem, over the last few days there's been a loud noise from the rear. On the way to work this morning I had to turn the radio up to 13 instead of the usual 8. It's a hard noise to describe, at 1st I thought it was really bad tyre noise. The only time I can make it go quieter is if I turn sharply to the right, turning sharply left makes the noise even worse, and sounds a bit like when you go over rumble strips really fast. The noise seems to build up the faster you go, to reach its loudest about 60mph, and then dying down slightly above that. It's incredibly annoying, and over the next couple of weeks I'm off work and we're going away so will be doing a lot of miles.

Has anyone got any ideas what could cause this, it's at the point where I'm genuinely tempted to take my wifes horrible old corsa, I can accept all the knocks and rattles in that old thing.

roverbarmy
21st July 2015, 19:42
My guess would be wheel bearings. Jack up each wheel in turn and give them a spin. They should spin quietly. Any rumbling and the bearings will be shot. Don't delay checking as they can lock up and spit the wheel off! :eek: Sometimes, a "bleb" in a tyre (wall or tread separation) can give lots of noise.
Mike

bikerdude666
21st July 2015, 20:14
I was wondering about wheel bearings, but the mot was only a few weeks back and they didn't mention anything about them, but I suppose I have done about 2000 miles since then. Tyres were new at the same time as the MOT as well, no visible defects on the outer edge or as far as I could see on the tread. Will have to jack the car up tomorrow and inspect the tyres and and see what the wheels feel like.

Cheers.

barney bear
21st July 2015, 20:18
O/S rear wheel bearing if it gets louder when you turn left. All the load goes to that side then doesn't it.:D

bikerdude666
21st July 2015, 20:28
Thanks, will check that side first when I get home from work.

COLVERT
21st July 2015, 20:38
O/S rear wheel bearing.---:eek:

DMGRS
22nd July 2015, 16:20
Sounds like it could indeed be the wheel bearing.
If it is, we have them here: Wheel Bearing - 75/ZT Rear (http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/steering-components/products/rover-75-mg-zt-rear-wheel-bearing-kit-rlb100292)

With regards to the MOT, if it's just 'humming' but doesn't have play it's still a pass.

bikerdude666
22nd July 2015, 19:22
Jacked the car up today, couldn't feel any play at all, and turning slowly it was nice and smooth, but I think I know where the noise was coming from…

https://youtu.be/nL1OnFKG-Bw

Well it was definitely the wheel bearing. John H came round to help/do it, and thats when the fun began... Unfortunately the nut was ridiculously tight, and had been butchered previously. When that was finally off, the bearings were seized on the shaft, eventually got it off but it left half the old bearing stuck on the shaft, and it's seemingly impossible to remove. Now I don't know whether to try and get something in there to cut part way through the bearing and try and smash it off, cheaper option and still go on holiday, or take it to a garage, but probably not be able to go away. Don't fancy trying option A as I may well make it worse, but at the same time I'm not sure I can face my sons face if I tell him we can't go on holiday! It just had to happen a week before we go!

RogerHeinz57
23rd July 2015, 21:50
Dude ! Does she drive ok?:eek:

bikerdude666
23rd July 2015, 22:00
Thought I'd sent you a text earlier? Almost as noisy as it was, and still the same driving zig-zag, not sure it's gonna last very long. Not sure about Cornwall on it, especially after our last trip to Cornwall ended up on the hard shoulder, not getting home til about 2AM Lol

RogerHeinz57
23rd July 2015, 22:10
Blimey matey, thought it would be at least better than it was, sorry for the disappointment in this, but the hub had suffered for a time being way way too tight, running dryer than a nun's and the nett result being where we are now. If your lucky, maybe a local workshop with oxy plant may cut it away, but not sure what may be left behind on the stub and if it would be serviceable or not.
We have reached a stage where perhaps it is do or die!

bikerdude666
23rd July 2015, 22:25
Think I'll have to sulk about it over the weekend, then take a trip to a scrapyard on monday and get a replacement stub. Was tempted to buy an angle grinder to get it off, but like you say, the stub may well be FUBAR now as well. Shame some previous monkey insisted on using a 20ft bar to tighten it up with!

COLVERT
27th July 2015, 21:01
Think I'll have to sulk about it over the weekend, then take a trip to a scrapyard on monday and get a replacement stub. Was tempted to buy an angle grinder to get it off, but like you say, the stub may well be FUBAR now as well. Shame some previous monkey insisted on using a 20ft bar to tighten it up with!

Tightening it up hard makes no difference to the fit of the bearing on the stub axle.
The two items are designed to have a LIGHT drive fit between them.

Sometimes the application of a little heat will help the bearing to come off.

That and a sharp edged chisel tapped gently between the bearing and the rear hub.

bikerdude666
28th July 2015, 15:04
Tightening it up hard makes no difference to the fit of the bearing on the stub axle.
The two items are designed to have a LIGHT drive fit between them.

Sometimes the application of a little heat will help the bearing to come off.

That and a sharp edged chisel tapped gently between the bearing and the rear hub.

Thanks, a blowtorch and a hammer and chisel were used, but with no luck. Got it booked in with a local MG-R garage tomorrow morning, hopefully he'll get the rest of the bearing off. I was tempted to get an angle grinder and try and cut through it a bit and smash it off, but I know I'd slip or go too far and mess up the shaft.

Mg guy
28th July 2015, 21:31
What I did on mine was take off the rear backing plate (doesn't mention wether you have done that) and it opened up a hole big enough to hit from behind with a big brass drift. Mine was tight on there and took about 15 minutes of hitting with various size hammers. Don't forgot a bit of copper slip when putting it back on so much easier next time.

klarzy
28th July 2015, 21:41
first just check your wheel studs are tight, had a similar noise this summer and it turned out the wheel was held on by 2 finger tight studs... some little nonce had been playing silly buggars with a tyre iron...:devil:

RogerHeinz57
28th July 2015, 23:35
first just check your wheel studs are tight, had a similar noise this summer and it turned out the wheel was held on by 2 finger tight studs... some little nonce had been playing silly buggars with a tyre iron...:devil:

Pete, I went out to this one, it was a total mother to deal with, I did a bit of adapting a second user hub to keep Derrick mobile, but the whole thing really is banjaxed! Just hope the other side was not worked on by the same chimp that did the O/S/R.

bikerdude666
29th July 2015, 15:48
Got the car back from the garage now, wasn't exactly cheap, but he managed to eventually get the old bearing off. So now it's very smooth and quiet!

bl52krz
30th July 2015, 21:33
Thats good. You can now face your son. Have a good time in Cornwall.