PDA

View Full Version : So how reliable is yours?

MissMoppet
21st July 2015, 21:04
I read so many dismal tales of our lovely motors costing a fortune to keep together, I am wondering if I have been blessed? In my 3 years of ownership - and 25K miles - the only failures have been a rear light-bulb, one drop link arm and top mount race - total perhaps £50. (It's now done 78K miles: diesel auto tourer).
Can anyone beat that?

super s
21st July 2015, 21:35
for now... its not mine since the beginning, but in my hand i made 35000 kms, almost 2 years...

problems... the door lock is damage for something like 5 months

the other problem is the stat that is leaking a bit...

fortunately nothing more beside regular maintenance...

my zt has in the moment 205000 kms...

andrewinpopayan
21st July 2015, 22:22
I read so many dismal tales of our lovely motors costing a fortune to keep together, I am wondering if I have been blessed? In my 3 years of ownership - and 25K miles - the only failures have been a rear light-bulb, one drop link arm and top mount race - total perhaps £50. (It's now done 78K miles: diesel auto tourer).
Can anyone beat that?

OOOHHH you really HAVE tempted the fates...........:eek:

Heddy
21st July 2015, 23:01
Nothing really serious gone wrong, just stoopid little niggles. Wheel bearings, brake sensors, doors failing to open, airbag light, oh, and the slave cylinder dumping fluid all over the road:duh: I have done 29k in 18mths though:shrug:

chrissyboy
22nd July 2015, 06:57
in the 4 years i had my 18t i did the things thats needed of which i was aware of ,once i did them all didnt cost alot i then had the car for 4 years and it never let me down

willshot
22nd July 2015, 07:16
In 11 years of ownership and car approaching 70K I've had to replace rear springs and brake calipers. I've had several sets of brake discs and pads and the odd bulb failure. Car has been routinely serviced and belts have been done twice (thanks Lates). It's never let me down, starts first time and drives like a new car.

Supervinnie40
22nd July 2015, 07:22
I only own my 75 for about 18 months now, and I haven't had to change anything at all.
I did a lot of maintenance on it, but nothing was really necessary, just preventative maintenance. The worst of all was the inlet manifold, which was why I lost 10ml coolant a month (so still not very bad).

She also never skipped a beat. She starts first pop every time, purrs like a little kitten (so to speak ;) ), and no weird noises or strange behavior.
If I didn't know better I would've thought she was brand new when I bought her ;).

3pinplug
22nd July 2015, 12:30
In just over a year i have had:
To replace manifold rattling when i brought it.
Repair both vis motors.
Strip windscreen trim as olympic swimming pool in boot.
Fix dodgey door handle
new clutch and master cylinder
several headlamp bulds and number plate lamps
carry out plenum mod and rod.
Replace lower rubber bush as wheel movement back and forwards.
Replace fan as wasnt working at all
replace reversing light switc

i like the car and its nice to drive but has been the most maintenance vehicle ever partlt due to a lot of inherrant faults, would i buy another one mmmm jury out at present.

peelaaa
22nd July 2015, 12:45
Over 7 miles of ownership and car touching 180k , it has let me down only once, the dreaded clutch master cylinder.

Of course, general wear/tear items replaced.

Scaramanga
22nd July 2015, 12:56
Hasnt let me down once!

(Touches wood)

Shes a very reliable motor and has only cost me in terms of preventative maintenance and those parts you'd expect to need replacement for, what in my case is, a 12 year old car ;)

It comes down to spend to save, do this and you have a reliable motor.

mystabe
22nd July 2015, 13:39
In 2 years I've had the ECU drown, 3 crankshaft pulleys break, a broken front spring and the bush in a lower front suspension arm disintegrate. I don't actually thinks that's bad for an 11 year old car (my wife thinks otherwise but :shrug: )

It would have been disastrous without this forum to be honest BUT I got a new ECU with a 160 map for under £200, if I'd have fitted the right pulley the first time it would just have been wear and tear and no big deal and when the spring broke I replaced all 4 with uprated ones SO yes things have broken but they've been replaced with upgraded parts I probably would have fitted at some point anyway :)

Tackleberry
22nd July 2015, 15:48
Over 7 miles of ownership and car touching 180k , it has let me down only once, the dreaded clutch master cylinder.

Of course, general wear/tear items replaced.

That's a bit unlucky :duh: ;)

DMGRS
22nd July 2015, 16:30
Between all of my 75s and ZTs I'll be at around 150,000 miles and probably 4-5 years of motoring - in that time, there was only one car that needed more than 'usual' items (a rather bad MOT failure), and one that needed a clutch.

Apart from that, just the usual bits and bobs. Good old buses, these. :)

FLYING BANANA
22nd July 2015, 16:39
Spent a fortune on Banana. 92,000 in 5 years. Failed 1 MOT. Joy to drive. But still Happy to own a 1.8t.

stevestrat
22nd July 2015, 16:48
But still Happy to own a 1.8t.I'll second that. My 1.8T has 138k on the clock and has just passed its MOT today with no work required and no advisories.

Saga Lout
22nd July 2015, 17:00
If you didn't get it new, you are playing catch up on other people's lack of care. I find that I'm replacing stuff that should have been done before now, I'm happy to do the work and I enjoy the challenges it brings. I've never bought a car that didn't come from a breaker or, spares or repairs. The 75 is now 14.5 years old and has some small issues, they will be sorted over time. I think I'm owner number 12, so you can imagine the neglect some of them passed on with the car, no wonder it was moved on so many times. I have an MOT tomorrow and if it doesn't go through with no advisories I'll be unhappy.

Forestgreen
22nd July 2015, 18:38
In three years and the equivalent of driving once all round the world (25,000 miles) I have just had to fork out for my biggest expense to date.

Four new Falken tyres at a total cost of £500.

Leyland Worldmaster
22nd July 2015, 19:52
I've had to change droplinks, bulbs and a starter motor earth terminal bolt! :)

MrDoodles
22nd July 2015, 20:02
Apart from routine maintenance, not spent a penny on Ed and he's never let me down in nearly 4 years of ownership! :}

Devilish
23rd July 2015, 02:00
Owned Rovers for almost 40 years (all diesels), apart from servicing I have replaced 2 front springs, 1 rear silencer, and a camshaft oil seal

barry
23rd July 2015, 03:17
Owner for ten years. Not a huge distance travelled 60000kms. and most longish distance. No mechanical problems - one tailight bulb, two batteries and the ltrs/100kms readout has slipped a couple of lts. to 7.5ltrs/100kms (2.5 V6).
Still has a new car smell. Great, enjoyable driving.
Service it myself but apart from engine oil changes, brake fluid checks and water, and an auto oil change, nothing to do.

Barry

MrLongbeard
23rd July 2015, 08:50
Over the past four years I've had to replace;

1 windscreen
Both rear springs
Both track rod ends
1 bonnet cable
1 engine lower mount
All 4 brake discs
1 lot of brake pads on all 4 corners
1 additional set of front brake pads
1 in tank fuel pump
1 under bonnet pump
1 high pressure fuel pump
1 fuel regulator valve
1 fuel pressure sensor
2 lower control arms & bushes
2 track rod ends
7 air filters
3 fuel filters
7 oil filters
Approx 35 litres of oil
2 litres of power steering fluid
2 lots of coolant
1 sump plate
Many sets of tyres
1 power steering pump (not yet fitted)

And it now needs a new exhaust and a brake pedal rubber.

maxi_crawf
23rd July 2015, 09:11
Well if reliability is defined as how many times it has stopped working, in the nine years I have had the car (51 plate, Dec 2001, and I'm the second owner) it stopped working once about seven years ago (in tank pump failure) I think that's pretty good for reliability considering all Rovers are supposed to be rubbish ;)
it now has 198K on the clock and I have no complaints :D

peelaaa
24th July 2015, 08:58
It is well known that the original master cylinder is a weak spot on these cars. As I was the 2nd owner I dont't know how the previous owner drove the car, they may have kept the pedal down a lot, who knows.

Anyhow the Tazu mk1 is a much better part, better feel to the pedal, less heavy.

DMGRS
24th July 2015, 11:19
Owned Rovers for almost 40 years (all diesels), apart from servicing I have replaced 2 front springs, 1 rear silencer, and a camshaft oil seal

Now that is good going!

Devilish
29th July 2015, 02:08
Now that is good going!

All were low mileage though, and never used them through the winter. I always used old small Peugeot/Citroen diesels for work I used to thrash about, no electric seats, windows, locks, no power steering etc etc, eat drink and smoke in them, never had to wash or wax, or be concerned where I parked them. Strange how no one ever parked 6" from them, and they never got a door dink.

Oh and I replaced about 5 or 6 batteries on Rovers.

Cannot remember ever having a breakdown apart from a front spring. Possibly because I have always believed it has been because I have always had full breakdown cover. If ever I forget to renew it, the next day, the fuel pump would pack in, and as I rolled to a halt, a spring would go through a tyre 200 miles from home, it would be dark and raining.

DMGRS
29th July 2015, 14:19
Still, that's impressive. Even my 'occasional use' Rovers have needed the usual bits and pieces seeing to.

Freebyrd
29th July 2015, 14:30
Bought my ZT-T 180 in May 2000 (from dealer). One previous owner and 32010 miles. It had 4 new coil springs fitted as part of the deal and a fresh MOT and 6 months road tax. It's now on 51800 miles.
I fitted 4 brake disks, pads and H/B shoes
Rear section exhaust
4 tyres
Cracked windscreen replaced under insurance
Cam and alternator belts, water pump replaced (garage)
Detachable tow bar fitted
No advisories on any MOT since owned
Two full services and autobox fluid changed
New battery

In (almost) 20000 miles, (a lot of miles with the caravan), it has never let me down. Long may it continue:D