PDA

View Full Version : Very strange beeping/tones

jamesunderscore
22nd July 2015, 08:38
I am having a very strange... well, I hesitate to call it a problem, but a weird thing is happening with my car.

There is what seems to be a constant alert sounder going off somewhere in the centre console area. It sounds like a "wrong number" tone - three sets of three ascending tones, then a gap, and then repeated.

I think it's happening constantly, but is just too quiet to here when the engine is running. It's definitely not coming from the stereo, as I have an aftermarket unit and have disconnected it to be sure with no effect.

Anyone got any thoughts?

bl52krz
26th July 2015, 21:21
Is anything happening on the readout on the aircon?

Is anything happening on the aircon board.? Numbers coming up?

Mike Noc
26th July 2015, 22:31
Do you have the Trafficmaster smartnav installed?

bl52krz
27th July 2015, 21:53
Evidently cured it?

Dragrad
27th July 2015, 22:01
Evidently cured it?
Last Activity: 22nd July 2015 :shrug:

bl52krz
30th July 2015, 22:03
Think it is someone we know?

Dragrad
31st July 2015, 00:39
Think it is someone we know?
:shrug::shrug: PM sent ;)

jamesunderscore
31st July 2015, 15:27
Is anything happening on the readout on the aircon?

Is anything happening on the aircon board.? Numbers coming up?

Nope - nothing I can see

Do you have the Trafficmaster smartnav installed?

Now. Is that the pointless button in the middle under the Air Con panel, because if so, yes I do have that, although nothing happens when I press it.

jamesunderscore
31st July 2015, 15:36
Also, sorry for posting the thread and then appearing to run away!

Been caught up with other things, and forgot all about it...

Mike Noc
31st July 2015, 19:30
Now. Is that the pointless button in the middle under the Air Con panel, because if so, yes I do have that, although nothing happens when I press it.

Yep that's the one James. Press and hold it and it should contact their call centre.

Accidentally did that once and the car rang them. Maybe you are getting some audible alarms from the Trafficmaster system? :shrug:

jamesunderscore
1st August 2015, 18:34
Yep that's the one James. Press and hold it and it should contact their call centre.

Accidentally did that once and the car rang them. Maybe you are getting some audible alarms from the Trafficmaster system? :shrug:

I suppose that makes sense - from what I understand about that system, It basically has a telephone that attaches to the Rover stereo. Maybe the fact that I have my own aftermarket unit in there is causing it some kind of problem?

The tones do sound very much like the ones you get when you dial a wrong number on a BT landline, and having sat in the car for about 20 minutes when I got home last night (god knows what the neighbours thought! :eek:) the sound definitely seems to be coming from that area.

I think I will have to take the stereo out and have a look back there.

Thanks for the hint, Mike! :}