PDA

View Full Version : maf?

eddiemc05
22nd July 2015, 16:03
Hi guys
Can i improve my low end performance by replacing the maf sensor?
Ive read that symptoms of a failing maf is lack of power below 2000revs, which i think i have.
So which one to get?
Also considering egr bypass kit..
Will hopefully end up doing 160remap but would like to be sure all other issues are addressed first.
Cheers
Ed

DMGRS
22nd July 2015, 16:16
Your best bet is to unplug the MAF and see if the bottom end picks up - but a lack of power low down is indeed indicative of MAF failure.

We have a good few members running our Lucas MAF without issue - but have the original Bosch item too if you'd rather use that. Pricing and info here (top two links):
MAF Sensors - Rover 75 / MG ZT CDTi (http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/search?q=Rover+75+MAF)

With regards to the EGR Bypass, I'd recommend it - one of the first things I do to any 75/ZT I buy. :)
We have bypasses here:
EGR Bypass - 75/ZT CDTi (http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/accessories/products/rover-75-mg-zt-cdti-polished-aluminium-egr-bypass-kit-replaces-wav000160)

You can also purchase just the insert from the MAF sensor online - a BMW part fits our cars. The only problem with this is that you need to move the sensor to your car's MAF housing, which breaks the warranty seal on the new item.

eddiemc05
22nd July 2015, 16:36
Thanks for that man, il check those links for sure, i take it buying original or aftermarket maf is gonna be the whoke unit rather than just the insert?

maxxpump
22nd July 2015, 20:37
Thanks for that man, il check those links for sure, i take it buying original or aftermarket maf is gonna be the whoke unit rather than just the insert?

You can get a cheaper version from another car which is the same (you transplant the insert), but you void the warranty, and if you get it wrong, your screwed. The OEM Bosch one is about £130 directly from Germany. Stay away from the ones on eBay as they can cause real issues (like being DOA or die quickly after installation).

sworks
22nd July 2015, 20:40
You could have an egr issue, before spending any money on a MAF you would probably better off arranging to see MarinaBrian to get a T4 health check and diagnosis

sworks
22nd July 2015, 20:42
Just noticed your Newcastle NI :duh: I would still reccomend a T4 session though

eddiemc05
22nd July 2015, 21:00
Thanks guys
Yeah only a select few over here with T4.. and a good drive away too..
Think my best move before spending is get egr and inlet manifold off for a good clean.. but i like the idea of the bypass kits and airflow mods.. just to see if it awakens her up at low revs.. car pulls really well above 2500@,

eddiemc05
22nd July 2015, 21:09
Oh i had it on 2 computers.. my own bosch kts200 and a really high end snap on computer.
Only faults was low fuel pressure and airbag pretension error..
Sorted airbag issue and fuel pressure fault never came back after clearing.

Arctic
23rd July 2015, 10:08
HI Eddie
T4 session if possible clean and check EGr clean manifold and Map sensor, if you do have to go down the road of a MAF no need to pay through the nose links below ;)

The insert can be used from this which most members use http://www.maf-shop.com/product_info.php?currency=GBP&language=en&info=p57_BOSCH-Luftmassenmesser-fuer-BMW-0280217533-13621433566.html&XTCsid=4dd43f3f019dc4b54776fa56f4b41c8d

Original Maf with housingbut as always ask as many questions as possible .
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BOSCH-AIR-FLOW-METER-SENSOR-MAF-SENSOR-0928400520-ROVER-MG-LANDROVER-/321779444446?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4aeb8caade

Ken Lion
23rd July 2015, 13:27
I thought I had a Maf problem (I'd cleaned the EGR rather than bypass it) and had the Maf unplugged for some time.

But a closer inspection on a T4 (by BigRuss) showed that it was the EGR open/close actuator sticking and the Maf was performing as it should.

My EGR vacuum pipe is now deactivated, Maf plugged back in and there is a marked difference in low-end performance.

super s
23rd July 2015, 13:33
I thought I had a Maf problem (I'd cleaned the EGR rather than bypass it) and had the Maf unplugged for some time.

But a closer inspection on a T4 (by BigRuss) showed that it was the EGR open/close actuator sticking and the Maf was performing as it should.

My EGR vacuum pipe is now deactivated, Maf plugged back in and there is a marked difference in low-end performance.

x2...

first idea for me would be this and then the ic orings and hose...

eddiemc05
23rd July 2015, 21:18
Thanks guys..
I cleaned egr today.. plus sensor in cooler pipe just before egr.. think that was air temp sensor.. not sure...valve moving freely using mitty vac... it wasnt that dirty tbh.. i think cleaned recently by previous owner.. (only have car since mid April)
So no real difference in performance either tbh..
So quick question about egr.. what is the benefit of removing vacuum pipe and bunging up?
Cheers

super s
23rd July 2015, 21:48
no recicled gases again in the engine and the valve dont work so it wont become full of dirty stuff inside...

i did it mine zt..