PDA

View Full Version : Are 75 Cats known for getting blocked?

Anon3
22nd July 2015, 19:39
Further to my thinking that my 75 is dog slow, at normal sorts of throttle at least, a friend of mine took the car for it's MOT last week and pointed out that the car is indeed..... dog slow.

He (being pretty knowledgable about cars) and the mechanic noticed that there seemed to be little output from the exhaust and he suggested that the Cat might be blocked.

At 14 years old, (pretty sure it's the original exhaust) it has struck me that it might be a possibility, although I haven't actually checked it myself.

For info, it's just coming up to 50k, not that I think that would matter.
And it doesn't seem asthmatic if you boot it.

Is this a known problem?
I'd change the exhaust out at a heartbeat, if I thought it might seriously help performance.

I suppose I ought to do some kind of acceleration test to see if performance is down compared to what it ought to be.

spyder
22nd July 2015, 19:48
Any Cat can block, especially if a turbo or head gasket has gone at some stage. I have had 2 turbo's go on other marques due to blocked Cats on diesels.

Although yours is a V6 it can still happen, similarly the exhaust can fail internally and block, with similar results. I use the term block, but restricted would be more apt-if it were blocked the car would not run at all.

Timing out a tooth, would also cause a similar problem I suppose.

MrDoodles
22nd July 2015, 20:06
On a 2.0 V6, it's more likely to be be dead VIS motors and/or a duff inlet manifold! ;)

spyder
22nd July 2015, 20:09
On a 2.0 V6, it's more likely to be be dead VIS motors and/or a duff inlet manifold! ;)

This is true, keep forgetting that there are still petrol engines out there.:p:

Anon3
23rd July 2015, 00:10

No.
Both are known good.
And I've posted about both previously :}

MrDoodles
23rd July 2015, 07:48
No.
Both are known good.
And I've posted about both previously :}

Apologies, I missed your previous posts! :getmecoat:

With that in mind, a blocked cat or crushed silencer, would be the next thing to investigate! :}