PDA

View Full Version : Pas pump

mbev51
22nd July 2015, 19:47
Hi
Bought new pas pump as I've had fluid leaking. Got a recon one, fitted it today and discovered it's still leaking fluid. Can see fluid on base of condenser and other bits underneath. I cannot find a leak from a hose, the top of the pump is dry and where I can get my hands underneath the pump is also dry. What's the chances that it's leaking from the pump bearing seal and dripping down where I cannot see or feel it? Phoned up supplier and he said that it was unusual as they pressure test these pumps way beyond any service demands. It's driving me crazy, should be going away in it this weekend. The alternator has had a good soaking in fluid when I disconnected the union, it's still working just smells a bit. I even thought it might be engine oil at one time, mind it's not black and doesn't smell like it. Will have to take the pulley off tomorrow and see if I can see evidence of a leak. Will take the pump back to supplier for testing if I cannot find the leak. Any ideas? Thanks

mbev51
23rd July 2015, 10:32
Just taken off the new pas pump, it doesn't look as if it's leaking. That's good news but it's not obvious what is leaking. Can an aircon condenser leak it's oil and spread it about? It doesn't seem like engine oil. The crankshaft seal doesn't seem to be causing it to me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Astraeus
23rd July 2015, 10:57
Just taken off the new pas pump, it doesn't look as if it's leaking. That's good news but it's not obvious what is leaking. Can an aircon condenser leak it's oil and spread it about? It doesn't seem like engine oil. The crankshaft seal doesn't seem to be causing it to me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

In theory it could be leaking from anywhere in that system. Give everything a good clean with a degreaser then run engine. Turn steering through its full range a couple of times and you should see where it is coming from. ( don't hold it on full lock for too long..not good for it! :} )

Chris

mbev51
24th July 2015, 07:16
Hi
After having a good look I've convinced myself it's the aircon pump leaking it's oil for some reason. It must have some internal pressure causing the leakage. The new power steering pump is dry, as you would expect. Is it ok to drive with the aircon pump in this state, I will take time to source a new one, I'm off abroad for a few months, was going to take this car, not sure if I will be now. My alternator has had a good dose of pas fluid, it's smelling a bit at the moment. Will it recover or can I do anything to clean it? What a bad design! Other people must have had these experiences.

DMGRS
24th July 2015, 11:21
If it's a small leak, I don't see the problem with using it - if it's bigger, then keep the A/C on 'economy' to keep it turned off.

mbev51
24th July 2015, 12:45
Thanks for the replies. It's off to France Sunday, will chance it. Last time it came back on aooader due to a snapped serpentine belt. Got new belts on and carrying spare ones.

DMGRS
24th July 2015, 14:37
Well if it helps, the A/C isn't driven off the serpentine belt - so even if you do have some kind of catastrophic failure (which is incredibly unlikely) it won't affect anything else.

75tourer
24th July 2015, 19:59
While under the car today with the wheelarch cover off noticed 2 belts (diesel). Only thought there was one as thats all you can see from above. What is each one for? The one nearest to the wing was fine but the inboard is cracked. Is this easy to change?

bl52krz
24th July 2015, 20:07
The inboard one is the air conditioning belt. You need to remove the serpent belt to change that one.

75tourer
24th July 2015, 20:07
Just found out the inboard one is aircon belt. Is there normally any probs with these do they commonly snap? Heard people mentioning this with serpentine belt but not aircon belt-any views folks