PDA

View Full Version : Lowering a ZT 160

Rigginsuk
23rd July 2015, 10:04
I'm considering lowering my ZT 30-35mm. I thought it would improve the over all look as well as improve its vertical centre of gravity. Since most car manufacturers standard suspension can be lowered about an inch before it starts to hurt the normal handling of the car I figured that's as low as I would go.
There was an optional extra when the car was built of having MG Sports Suspension. I'm not sure if mine had this option. I was under the impression that all of the Z's had uprated suspension. With that in mind, would lowering it 30mm actually damage the handling rather than the opposite?
I found some lowering springs for a Rover 75. I've never ridden in a Rover 75 before so I'm not able to compare the ride between a 75 and a ZT. I had a ZS 120 for quite some time and the ride was much stiffer. I know the ZS had uprated suspension over the Rover 45.
The lowering springs are on nicedeals.co.uk part number FKRR009. Rover 75 (RJ) Lowering Spring Kit. The other thing is they're really cheap in comparison to the ZT lowering springs I found on Fleabay.

After all of that (I do apologise, I get very enthusiastic when talking about these cars) the questions are:
Does the ZT's have updated suspension over a Rover 75?
Is it a good or bad idea to lower a ZT?
Have I found a really good deal on lowering springs or am I totally off the mark?

Thank you guys / gals for taking the time to decipher my ramblings.:bowdown:

MrDoodles
23rd July 2015, 10:11
Just be aware that the ZT is already 20mm lower than a 75, so if you fit 75 lowering springs, you may not end up any different to what you have already!

suzublu
23rd July 2015, 10:25
Fitted Eibach Pro lowering springs to mine, down 30mm so probably, as Mark says, it's about what a ZT is now.:cool:

Coups
23rd July 2015, 10:43
Waiting on delivery of a set of lower springs for my 75, going to drop 40 front 30 rear. Should aid looks. I noticed a large disparity between lowering springs for 75's and ZT's. No idea why. Keep an eye out for springs listed as 'progressive'. They should limit the hard ride and keep it comfy, sort of.....

Rick-sta
23rd July 2015, 11:10
I've got motobuild lowering springs on mine. Gives a 25mm drop over the ZT springs. Handling round corners definately improved but now that the springs have settled in theyre definitely more rough over speed bumps and bumps in the road.

Rigginsuk
23rd July 2015, 22:01
Thanks guys for the feedback. Rather than get the 75 springs I've found some ZT springs for £160. They claim to lower it by 25mm which will be just fine. Probably due to owning a ZS which has quite firm suspension. The ZT, though very comfortable, is a very soft ride. I miss the firmness but wouldn't really like it as firm as the ZS was. The springs I found don't seem to have a brand name which is a little worrisome. I see a couple of you have brands like Eibach Pro and Motobuild. I assume these are considered quality springs. However shouldn't all lowering springs sold here in the UK follow a set standard? I wouldn't normally consider a non branded item such as this but the price is half that of branded springs. Normally for my car it's quality over price but I have a lot I want to do to her and a budget I need to try and keep to.

johan190
23rd July 2015, 22:16
Lowering my ZT has been my main goal to do since I first bought it.
I bought a set of Motobuild lowering springs that I still haven't installed yet since I've decided on going with Bmw e46 adjustable coilovers instead.
They fit with some minor modfications and then you can get your perfect ride height with lots of go-cart feel! :D
I don't feel the 25mm drop from the Motobuild springs will be enough for my liking, they are really good springs though, designed for our cars.

AndreRijo
23rd July 2015, 23:11
I have used motobuild springs on my ZT-T, but if I was satisfied with the handling I wasn't with the overall lowering. I need more.

I then send my springs to a company over here, that modifies and builds springs to your own specifications, from the standard ZT-T springs, they take 40mm to the back and 50mm to the front. Very satisfied with the look and handling. But I alway like coilovers, due to the possibilities they offer on changing ride height, soft or hard...

I have contacted various companies, in order to know if anyone could build some coilovers for our cars. I have encountered TEIN, that already have done coilovers for the MG7 and could do them for 75&ZT's, but ask me for a lot of data and the prices where sky high... £1800 to start...:eek:

I then found another one that might be more pocket friendly... It's a company on the UK, it's called GAZ and to manufacture a set of coilovers for our cars... this was their reply:"We will need a sample front strut with top mount, a rear damper & spring. The rear spring is separate from the damper so we would need to know the fitted height of the spring on the car & with the car on its wheels so we know how much is compresses under load."

If anyone is able to contact them and supply them with what is needed. We could have the chance of a company producing a straight fit coilovers set for our cars.

Linky: http://www.gazshocks.com/pr-and-media/press-releases/100-gaz-custom-build-coilovers

I would buy one in a heart beat.

DMGRS
24th July 2015, 11:23
I'm going to go down the Moto-build route when the time comes - have heard lots of good things about them. :)

Rigginsuk
24th July 2015, 11:30
Wow the price of those coilovers is scary! I think a 25mm drop will be just fine as well as fabricating strut braces since no one seems to have made them for our cars. :eek:

DannyBoy81
24th July 2015, 12:34
I have Motobuild springs on my facelift ZT diesel. The ride is stiff and it handles very well, but can be harsh on a poor Sheffield road surface. The car does sit about 25-30mm lower all round and looks great. If you look on the Motobuild web site it says the spring rates are based on Mk1 sports springs, mine were originally the comfort option so they made quite a difference in the handling.

Rigginsuk
24th July 2015, 22:43
Going to order springs next week. The Motobuild look likely to be the ones I go for.

johan190
27th July 2015, 18:49
I have used motobuild springs on my ZT-T, but if I was satisfied with the handling I wasn't with the overall lowering. I need more.

I then send my springs to a company over here, that modifies and builds springs to your own specifications, from the standard ZT-T springs, they take 40mm to the back and 50mm to the front. Very satisfied with the look and handling. But I alway like coilovers, due to the possibilities they offer on changing ride height, soft or hard...

I have contacted various companies, in order to know if anyone could build some coilovers for our cars. I have encountered TEIN, that already have done coilovers for the MG7 and could do them for 75&ZT's, but ask me for a lot of data and the prices where sky high... £1800 to start...:eek:

I then found another one that might be more pocket friendly... It's a company on the UK, it's called GAZ and to manufacture a set of coilovers for our cars... this was their reply:"We will need a sample front strut with top mount, a rear damper & spring. The rear spring is separate from the damper so we would need to know the fitted height of the spring on the car & with the car on its wheels so we know how much is compresses under load."

If anyone is able to contact them and supply them with what is needed. We could have the chance of a company producing a straight fit coilovers set for our cars.

Linky: http://www.gazshocks.com/pr-and-media/press-releases/100-gaz-custom-build-coilovers

I would buy one in a heart beat.

Now this sounds interesting! Really interesting!
It's what I've been looking for all this time, straight fit coilover suspension for the zt. If someone just have some old spare springs, dampers and top mounts laying around we could send them to GAZ so they could make a setup for us. What would a set cost you think?
And also, wouldn't the MG7 ones just fit perfectly or are they different?

Cheers