PDA

View Full Version : Oilly puddle which greets me to my car every time I use it!

maxxpump
24th July 2015, 13:28
The last couple of days I have come out to a puddle of oil (which smells heavily of diesel) just behind the front passenger wheel. I know the oil may be coming from another engine part and catching on the floor pan then leaking out onto the road at this point. I'm worried now as I have the MOT coming up in the next few weeks and if the job gets to expensive to get it through I may have to trade in for another 75 or :eek: an other car like a Volvo or BMW (at a heavy loss to me and my mate). The pools are appearing over night, after every time we go out, only on the side behind the passenger side front wheel, I imagine the loss is about 200ml loss per use and I have had to top up the engine during the last two weeks. Any ideas where to look first, how to go about doing this and how serious it could be. I thought it was coming from the gear box originally (but its not red and smells of diesel), but now am thinking it could be coming out the crankshaft seal between the engine and the gearbox (does this exist and is it easy to replace if it has failed!), if the sump isn't leaking.

If I don't go out the pool doesn't appear. (So I guess it is due to parts heating up causing contraction and letting something to leak everywhere).

Any pointer would be fantastic. Hope everyone is having a stella week and hope to hear from people soon!

P.S: I have an auto box and its a connie 2001

freddie
24th July 2015, 13:52
You sure its diesel and not clutch fluid.

maxxpump
24th July 2015, 13:53
You sure its diesel and not clutch fluid.

It an auto box, I should have said that orginally

I'm lost, does a auto need fluid for the clutch or is it all done integral to the box?

maxxpump
24th July 2015, 13:57
I will say that the brake light has come on in the last few weeks also. The brakes were replaced four months ago and the original sensors were used as the sensors seemed good. Could it be a brake leak? does the brake system have pressure warning or is this just a separate problem?

stevenicks
24th July 2015, 13:58
I have exactly the same problem with a very slow drip of diesel and it drips exactly under the fuel pump which I had replaced a while ago.

maxxpump
24th July 2015, 14:06
I'm going to jack the car up tomorrow morning and see what I find, but any pointers would very good in the meantime.

chipsceola
24th July 2015, 14:11
The last couple of days I have come out to a puddle of oil (which smells heavily of diesel) just behind the front passenger wheel. I know the oil may be coming from another engine part and catching on the floor pan then leaking out onto the road at this point. I'm worried now as I have the MOT coming up in the next few weeks and if the job gets to expensive to get it through I may have to trade in for another 75 or :eek: an other car like a Volvo or BMW (at a heavy loss to me and my mate). The pools are appearing over night, after every time we go out, only on the side behind the passenger side front wheel, I imagine the loss is about 200ml loss per use and I have had to top up the engine during the last two weeks. Any ideas where to look first, how to go about doing this and how serious it could be. I thought it was coming from the gear box originally (but its not red and smells of diesel), but now am thinking it could be coming out the crankshaft seal between the engine and the gearbox (does this exist and is it easy to replace if it has failed!), if the sump isn't leaking.

If I don't go out the pool doesn't appear. (So I guess it is due to parts heating up causing contraction and letting something to leak everywhere).

Any pointer would be fantastic. Hope everyone is having a stella week and hope to hear from people soon!

P.S: I have an auto box and its a connie 2001

Reading between the lines, if you've topped up engine oil, assuming level was low, how could it be losing that quantity of brake fluid/power steering fluid or indeed transmission fluid without the fault manifesting itself by lack of sufficient fluid in one of those areas?

Diesel of course would allow loss of that quantity without showing other problems. Either way if you cannot remove the engine tray yourself to make more checks, then even the garage labour bill to do it for you will be very much less than you'll spend in changing the car for another, that like yours, may well have been traded 'as is' rather than spend time/ oir money on repairs.

Only my opinion (and may seem harsh) but if you are prepared to sell on a car in that condition rather than repair, you'll not complain I take it if you end up buying another just like it?

In the process perhaps spending more than your own car needs to fix it.

DMGRS
24th July 2015, 14:36
Check the underbonnet pump and pipework for leaks. :)

grivas
24th July 2015, 15:50
Check the underbonnet pump and pipework for leaks. :)

If you have an under bonnet fuel pump, as said above, check the pipe work is secure, remove the battery, and the tray on which it sits and have a very good look, it will not be engine oil as it is easily identifiable as it will be black, and anything else loosing 200ml at a time, would have manifested itself as a more noticeable problem, good luck please let us know what you find

jgriffo
24th July 2015, 21:14
I'd be looking at the underbonnet pump as mine is doing the same thing. It was disturbed a few months back when I changed the gearbox.

Everytime it rains I have a big pretty rainbow coming from under the car :D

First_damned
24th July 2015, 21:27
I have exactly the same problem with a very slow drip of diesel and it drips exactly under the fuel pump which I had replaced a while ago.

Leaking under bonnet bump or in tank pump seal

David Lawrence
25th July 2015, 05:05
One possibility putting 2 and 2 together is that it is just the intercooler o rings. Open the bonnet and see if you have an oily mess on the undertray in front of the battery and all around the intercooler pipe.

It happens when it rains and only when youve been out, so i think rain may blow through the front grills and simply be washing the oily deposits off which drip on to your puddle when you park up.

maxxpump
25th July 2015, 09:22
Reading between the lines, if you've topped up engine oil, assuming level was low, how could it be losing that quantity of brake fluid/power steering fluid or indeed transmission fluid without the fault manifesting itself by lack of sufficient fluid in one of those areas?

Diesel of course would allow loss of that quantity without showing other problems. Either way if you cannot remove the engine tray yourself to make more checks, then even the garage labour bill to do it for you will be very much less than you'll spend in changing the car for another, that like yours, may well have been traded 'as is' rather than spend time/ oir money on repairs.

Only my opinion (and may seem harsh) but if you are prepared to sell on a car in that condition rather than repair, you'll not complain I take it if you end up buying another just like it?

In the process perhaps spending more than your own car needs to fix it.

I would consider selling it on as it has a snapped rear spring, needs both front bushings and drop links replaced, it is having problems with the nearside strut mount and I have a gaping hole in the exhaust. I'm willing to pay to get it through the MOT, I was just slightly disillusioned yesterday as it seems that everything is breaking down just in time when it matters the most (I regularly service the car and check it over, and it seems that I didn't do enough).

I am just about to go pull off the bottom cover off the engine bay and will see if there is any visible leak.

stevenicks
27th July 2015, 13:41
Mine failed its MOT this morning due to this leak and I am pretty sure it is something to do with the fuel pump. Booked in again tomorrow for the garage to take a look and hopefully repair.
I'll keep you updated.

Steve

bl52krz
27th July 2015, 21:45
If you have an under bonnet fuel pump, as said above, check the pipe work is secure, remove the battery, and the tray on which it sits and have a very good look, it will not be engine oil as it is easily identifiable as it will be black, and anything else loosing 200ml at a time, would have manifested itself as a more noticeable problem, good luck please let us know what you find
As above or could be leaking from the FBH feed pipe also

stevenicks
28th July 2015, 13:07
Garage confirmed that a rubber hose to the fuel pipe had a small split causing the leak, probably caused by over tightening of some clip. Any way leak now sorted and only charged me £25 to change the hose which I thought was pretty reasonable. Any way just as important she passed her MOT.

Stickman
28th July 2015, 19:30
I had to replace my under bonnet pump awhile ago
My problem manifested itself in the same way as your scenario
Although the pump was working perfectly it was leaking on the top from the seam where the plastic cap meets with the metal casing :eek:
Regards
Chris

First_damned
28th July 2015, 21:38
I had to replace my under bonnet pump awhile ago
My problem manifested itself in the same way as your scenario
Although the pump was working perfectly it was leaking on the top from the seam where the plastic cap meets with the metal casing :eek:
Regards
Chris

Aftermarket ubp are prone to this. I fitted a second hand oem pump to mine.

DMGRS
29th July 2015, 14:22
Agreed, it's common for aftermarket items to do this.
Ours seem to be solid enough - I'll have to stick to this supplier!