PDA

View Full Version : Intermittent ABS fault

MalteseMarc
24th July 2015, 14:46
Hi,

I've noticed over the past few weeks a problem that surfaces every now and again with the ABS fault light coming on the dash. Now would I be right in thinking that the fault lies with the ABS sensor:shrug: I'm presuming that there are two at the front, would they both need changing and where is the best place to purchase 2 from? Your help would be kindly appreciated:}

Kind regards,

Marc

super s
24th July 2015, 18:06
dont believe it could 2 at same time...

behind the wheels you will see a cable that goes into a conector, the other part goes to the bearing, these are the abs cables or sensors...

check all of them for dirty or any real damage, if it appear ocasionally probably is just dirty stuff on them...

MalteseMarc
24th July 2015, 18:29
I will have a look when I get a chance, hopefully will need just a clean then😊

Regards,

Marc

Drew
14th August 2015, 14:52
I have similar ABS issues on my ZT 260 and now on my 75 Tourer. Can a garage read a fault code which will indicate which wheel is causing the problem or whether it's the pump?

Cheers,

Ian

super s
15th August 2015, 10:12
yes...

i had a BMW before my zt and with a regular softwre it read the wheel...

so i think the same with the mg, the only thing i dont is if it only reads with the t4..

Drew
15th August 2015, 21:38
On the V8 the ABS warning is intermittent so I'm assuming it's a wheel sensor.
On the 75 is on all the time, would this therefore be the pump as no wheels have turned and the warning is present? Or could a broken wire cause this?

Cheers,
Ian

Mike Noc
15th August 2015, 22:23
On the 75 is on all the time, would this therefore be the pump as no wheels have turned and the warning is present? Or could a broken wire cause this?

Cheers,
Ian

Yes a broken wire could cause this. The ABS system self checks at start up and if it fails the light stays on.

Plenty of info on the forum on how to check all the ABS sensors and magnetic reluctors with a multimeter if you do a search.

If they all check out then check and clean the ABS pump plug contacts and check for any corrosion.

David Lawrence
16th August 2015, 06:08
I will have a look when I get a chance, hopefully will need just a clean then😊

Regards,

Marc

If you have done any work on one of the wheels recently i would start with that one.

If not start with the rears, they are easier to see. The rear back plates can rust and the flakes of rust build up around sensor and get between it and the hub as it turns. When i had this issue it scored the front off the sensor and a new one was required, but once you have the rear hub off it is quite easy to drift the sensor out if it does need a new one.

MalteseMarc
16th August 2015, 06:50
If you have done any work on one of the wheels recently i would start with that one.

If not start with the rears, they are easier to see. The rear back plates can rust and the flakes of rust build up around sensor and get between it and the hub as it turns. When i had this issue it scored the front off the sensor and a new one was required, but once you have the rear hub off it is quite easy to drift the sensor out if it does need a new one.

Actually the problem has only come on briefly about once in about a 2 week period, but will do as you suggest, or better still, off to see Jules on Monday to get my suspension changed, so will let him have a look at the same time,

Kind regards,

Marc

David Lawrence
16th August 2015, 07:06
Actually the problem has only come on briefly about once in about a 2 week period, but will do as you suggest, or better still, off to see Jules on Monday to get my suspension changed, so will let him have a look at the same time,

Kind regards,

Marc

With Jules's T4 he will be able to pinpoint the wheel concerned straight away.
I was at Jules this week with my aircon on the auto. Amazing the distances his customers travel. I thought i was bad travelling an hour from wrexham, must be 5 each way for you.