PDA

View Full Version : MGZT CDTI 2003 starting issues

Sue4960
24th July 2015, 20:50
My car is A MGZT CDTI 2003 it just cuts out , we have changed the in tank fuel pump , also the up lifter pump . Plus we have had the fuel injectors checked and one had to be repaired, also change the crankshaft sensor and cam shaft sensor. And we have changed the fuel relay . It started and run for a while but then a hour later it wouldn't start . Anyone had a problem like this ?:shrug:

Mike Noc
24th July 2015, 21:42
Have you checked that the plenum drains are clear and that the ECM hasn't gone for a swim?

When it fails to start are the LP fuel pumps running or not, and is the oil pressure light on?

Sue4960
25th July 2015, 09:25
Yes the plenum drains are dry and all clear of water. The pumps are working at the start but then stop. Yes goes off when engine turns over

Sue4960
25th July 2015, 09:29
Also not showing any fault on code reader ? It's driving us mad

Vossy
25th July 2015, 11:00
Maybe a broken wire somewhere along the loom, might have rubbed through or corroded, if everything else has been sorted it is sounding like a troublesome wire.
Maybe one of the experts will have more of an insight to this.

Sue4960
25th July 2015, 16:41
With doing everything possible ie , changing fuel pump (intank) plus uplifter pump. changed crankshaft, camshaft, fuel relay , had injectors tested one of them repaired . and a bill of about £900.00 the car still having problems , when the ignition is tuned on sometimes the pumps work sometimes they don't . checked new fuel filter that's all clean . Also checked fuel pipes etc . and checked the switch above the relay fuse box. Please can anyone help ,

Vossy
25th July 2015, 17:25
when the ignition is tuned on sometimes the pumps work sometimes they don't .

Simple electrical fault is what I would go with, although they can be notoriously difficult to trace.

Good luck.

Mike Noc
25th July 2015, 19:22
With doing everything possible ie , changing fuel pump (intank) plus uplifter pump. changed crankshaft, camshaft, fuel relay , had injectors tested one of them repaired . and a bill of about £900.00 the car still having problems , when the ignition is tuned on sometimes the pumps work sometimes they don't . checked new fuel filter that's all clean . Also checked fuel pipes etc . and checked the switch above the relay fuse box. Please can anyone help ,

When the pumps don't work with the ignition is turned on does the oil light come on?

Sue4960
26th July 2015, 10:13
yes the oil light comes on as normal

Sue4960
26th July 2015, 10:14
But my husband just going to double check that

Sue4960
26th July 2015, 11:02
It started this morning but once gets to normal running temp it cuts out and won't start again any ideas. After all the other things we have done thank you

Mike Noc
26th July 2015, 11:12
Which code reader are you using? The earlier diesels aren't OBDII compliant so the cheapie readers won't work.

Frank Incensed
26th July 2015, 11:35
That's what Big Russ:bowdown: discovered was the problem when I had a similar occurrence.
Plus it's easy and costs nothing to try.
Good luck.
HTH

Sue4960
27th July 2015, 14:48
A tech garage man mobile came with his code reader and computer so not sure what was used. But we are now being towed to another garage , so we will see . But the car won't start even when cold . :bowdown:

Sue4960
28th July 2015, 15:53
Just to let everyone know if you have the same problem . Has we had we took the car to Sandows in st Erth , Cornwall and they sorted my car out in one hour. Even though the area around the ecu was dry in the past it's got wet and the rust on the connection was causing it to cut out when warm or cold so just bare this in mind . Thank you Sandows Garage. You are stars ��

Stickman
28th July 2015, 19:21
Just to let everyone know if you have the same problem . Has we had we took the car to Sandows in st Erth , Cornwall and they sorted my car out in one hour. Even though the area around the ecu was dry in the past it's got wet and the rust on the connection was causing it to cut out when warm or cold so just bare this in mind . Thank you Sandows Garage. You are stars ��
Also correct was mr noc :D
Regards
Chris