PDA

View Full Version : Bike carrier?

190SETOURING
9th August 2015, 15:49
What is the best bike carrier for an estate? Roof or tailgate? Which make? Cheers:D

CimmaronG
9th August 2015, 16:03
Personally use a Thule roof carrier/bars, but these do affect aerodynamics of the car, a tailgate may be better for aerodynamics but you may need a light/number plate board if you cover those with the bike.

RayH
9th August 2015, 16:23
What is the best bike carrier for an estate? Roof or tailgate? Which make? Cheers:D

Do you have a towbar?

190SETOURING
9th August 2015, 16:45
Do you have a towbar?

I do on the twilight.

RayH
9th August 2015, 16:50
I do on the twilight.

Not on the 75, but I use a tow bar mounted one that clamps over the ball.
Found it easy to mount and secure without additional support.

I had mine from Machine Mart for around £20, similar items on ebay for around that but with extra protection (for the bike) in terms of plastic covering.

I added a padlock through the scissor arms so I could lock it onto the car.

Essexphil
9th August 2015, 17:07
I would also recommend a towbar mounted one. The one I have (a Thule) will tilt so that the boot (even on an estate) will open. IT is also very easy to get bikes on and off, no need to climb on the car and risk scratching as you get bikes off the roof.

Philip

ProfDave
9th August 2015, 17:27
Towbar one wins for me; I have both roof bars with carriers and a Towbar one (An Atera Strada). The tow bar one is brilliant as you can get things on and off easily (particularly good when they are grubby!) and the one I have rocks right back so you can get in and out of the tailgate.

190SETOURING
9th August 2015, 21:41
Cheers guys, i will look into the tow bar ones.:bowdown:

cb750chris
10th August 2015, 20:36
Towbar one every time for me.
Other thing is - if putting bikes on the roof, be careful of car parks with height barriers....