PDA

View Full Version : Irwins bolt remover- a minor miracle

David Lawrence
30th August 2015, 19:43
How does a bolt this rounded come off with a socket that looks almost as bad?

The bolt head started to round off with a six sided socket almost immediately, but hammer this thing on, and somehow it just works its magic.

Initially it seems to slip, but gradually cuts itself a grip, then the miracle happens.

This is a rear anti roll bar clamp bolt. Rusted solid on both sides of the joint.

If the irwin can get this off, i thought, it will get anything off, so i went and ordered the expansion set with all the other sizes in it.

2Diesels
30th August 2015, 19:46
Worth every penny....................I bought a set after having difficulty with a strut pinch bolt & borrowing a set from the garage next door

roverbarmy
30th August 2015, 19:50
These things seem to be the best thing since sliced bread. There seems to be a lot of bolts rounding off lately! I wonder if it is due to the poor quality of the bolts, or the poor quality of the spanners, because rust has been around for as long as I can remember!:shrug:
Mike

2Diesels
30th August 2015, 19:51
These things seem to be the best thing since sliced bread. There seems to be a lot of bolts rounding off lately! I wonder if it is due to the poor quality of the bolts, or the poor quality of the spanners, because rust has been around for as long as I can remember!:shrug:
Mike

I think a lot of it's down to the small heads on big bolts on modern cars

David Lawrence
30th August 2015, 19:58
Mike

I think it is the widespread use of flange head bolts to save the cost of a washer. The flange head makes the hexagon part of the bolt smaller than the comparable M series bolt, which cant help once they get rusted in.

I have a good set of sockets with 6 sides, but there just doesnt seem any strength in the heads especially on the ones on the underside of the car.

What i find impressive with the irwins is that they seem to work better the more rounded the bolt gets. By the time it was off it looked like a coach bolt.

chris75
30th August 2015, 20:49
I think a lot of it's down to the small heads on big bolts on modern cars

:wot::iagree:

klarzy
30th August 2015, 21:14
How does a bolt this rounded come off with a socket that looks almost as bad?

The bolt head started to round off with a six sided socket almost immediately, but hammer this thing on, and somehow it just works its magic.

Initially it seems to slip, but gradually cuts itself a grip, then the miracle happens.

This is a rear anti roll bar clamp bolt. Rusted solid on both sides of the joint.

If the irwin can get this off, i thought, it will get anything off, so i went and ordered the expansion set with all the other sizes in it.

Had a set of these in my toolbox for over 8 years... as essential as a set of easyouts...

Glen B
2nd September 2015, 13:56
Sounds great! I was thinking of getting a rear axle for my 75 cdt to recondition and fit on my car but I didn't fancy spending hours trying to get bolts undone ( unless anyone has one already off). Maybe this will guarantee successful removal?

2Diesels
4th September 2015, 21:34
as essential as a set of easyouts...
Oooh shudder................those things wants hoyin in the river

klarzy
4th September 2015, 21:39
Oooh shudder................those things wants hoyin in the river

You would not say that if you evr really needed a set!!!

marinabrian
4th September 2015, 22:08
You would not say that if you evr really needed a set!!!

I would, they are the spawn of the devil :devil:

Brian :cool:

RPWC
4th September 2015, 22:11
Worth every penny....................I bought a set after having difficulty with a strut pinch bolt & borrowing a set from the garage next door

Col had to use them on the rear caliber carrying bracket bolts when he did the discs on my car, on my Christmas list already.;)

RPWC
4th September 2015, 22:13
I would, they are the spawn of the devil :devil:

Brian :cool:

Brian,what are easy outs??:shrug:

marinabrian
4th September 2015, 22:42
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODAwWDgwMA==/z/eQ8AAOSwgZVTxQdf/$_35.JPGBrian,what are easy outs??:shrug:

RPWC
4th September 2015, 22:45
Thread tapping tool??

3disco
4th September 2015, 23:23
Thread tapping tool??

Drill the bolt then wind the easy out into the hole in an anti clockwise direction with a lot of luck it might undo if not it can break off in the hole then your really in it!:eek:

jonc3725
5th September 2015, 03:12
Drill the bolt then wind the easy out into the hole in an anti clockwise direction with a lot of luck it might undo if not it can break off in the hole then your really in it!:eek:

Yep easi outs are a really good engineering tool but break one in the stud\bolt you are removing and you are proper knackered:D:D

Are these Irwin sockets that good? The MG suspension bolts are the worst I have come across. I agree the smaller flanged heads do corrode easier.

Has anyone rebuilt the suspension using industry standard bolts with the normal size heads for the M thread?

2Diesels
5th September 2015, 12:22
Are these Irwin sockets that good?

Oh yes:}:}:}

klarzy
5th September 2015, 13:11
Yep easi outs are a really good engineering tool but break one in the stud\bolt you are removing and you are proper knackered:D:D

Are these Irwin sockets that good? The MG suspension bolts are the worst I have come across. I agree the smaller flanged heads do corrode easier.

Has anyone rebuilt the suspension using industry standard bolts with the normal size heads for the M thread?

You should always drill the bolt out as far as possible and use the largest easy out you can, using too small a bit often leads to them snapping