PDA

View Full Version : front suspension rear bush question

jonathan63
8th October 2015, 10:26
....again. Apologies for this but the search function isn't working.

I need 2 new ones. Question is, do I buy 2 of the original type for £33
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ROVER-75-2-0-CDTI-CDT-FRONT-SUSPENSION-LOWER-WISHBONE-ARMS-REAR-BUSHES-x-2-NEW-/390277306478?hash=item5ade57186e
or is it worth sending the extra and pay £76 for
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rover-75-All-POWERFLEX-Suspension-Performance-Bush-Bushes-and-Engine-Mounts-/161341611392?var=&hash=item2590b59d80

T-Cut
8th October 2015, 10:37
The stock advice is avoid the cheap eBay bushes (OEM style). If you do decide on the original type, go for OEM items from someone like DMGRS here on the forum (get the discount too).
The PowerFlex system is also popular, though the initial heat of enthusiasm seems to have cooled over recent months. Don't know whether it's because they don't last or because they're old hat. I was very impressed with the design, maybe someone who's fitted them will chip in regarding their longevity.

TC

chris75
8th October 2015, 12:00
maybe someone who's fitted them will chip in regarding their longevity.

TC

I think a lot of us would be interested in some feedback on them :}
Anyone ?

pbry
8th October 2015, 12:24
I had the replacement Powerflex bushes fitted to my Diesel Connoisseur a couple of years ago, much better feedback through the steering and better handling than standard rubber, they seem to be wearing well and have passed a couple of MOT's with no comments.

The purists may beg to differ about handling, but I find the more rigid steering response the Powerflex bushes give a much nicer drive.

It's personal preference really but I am happy with these fitted.

Best of luck.

Paul.

T-Cut
8th October 2015, 12:40
Yes, I read that the firmer lateral restraint of the PowerFlex decreases the damping and 'comfort' associated with rubber bushes. It's been commented that this puts extra strain on the ball joint at the hub. I think the evidence for this may be hard to demonstrate though. It may simply boil down to personal preference in the context of 'feel'. I haven't experienced them so I'm extrapolating really.

EDIT: Here are most of the posts discussing the bushes. http://www.google.com/custom?client=google-coop&cof=AH%3Aleft%3BCX%3ARover%252075%2520%2526%2520MG %2520ZT%2520Owners%2520Club%3BL%3Ahttp%3A%2F%2Fwww .google.com%2Fcoop%2Fintl%2Fen-US%2Fimages%2Fcustom_search_sm.gif%3BLH%3A65%3BLP% 3A1%3BGFNT%3A%23666666%3BDIV%3A%23cccccc%3B&hl=en&adkw=AELymgWs9D-8-D5w4nJg2O5pmlAww6fsCA05Xr2R_-wDJXtUXgvT2aG88NPOznYR-Dp0NmUMAUjUCrqhbWiLG1aQJKyu00-ToxSbqt0LXAn4qsV-Xftfe123C9Aw7KxV2I6JWkGoYrAxNTXNni0ekQOM2kQ-IVcJOw&cref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fcse%2Ftools%2Fm akecse%3Furl%3Dwww.the75andztclub.co.uk&q=powerflex+wishbone+bushes&btnG=Search

TC

Avulon
8th October 2015, 12:52
Just beware that the powerflex bushes require that the existing bush carriers meet OEM spec almost exactly. Many of the aftermarket ones don't which ends up causing problems with fitting. Mine were of the aftermarket variety which made it extremely awkward fitting the powerflex leading to extremely early replacment with some standard cheapos from ECP (which are still on a year later).

With that aside provided the powerflex fit your bushes and arms correctly then I'd expect them to last much better than the original design, as for ride quality I can't comment.

If determined to go cheap aftermarket purchase through a reputable seller - not Ebay.

When my current ones fail I'll probably look for OEM.

jonathan63
8th October 2015, 19:29
After reading a few more posts on the subject I'll be fitting the original type. Problem is which ones. I have emailed Matt at DMGRS and waiting a reply.

David Lawrence
8th October 2015, 19:47
I think a lot of us would be interested in some feedback on them :}
Anyone ?

I have 2 cars, one with powerflex, one with oems from Matt. Got to be honest and say i struggle to tell much difference. Had powerflex on for about 3 years and 40,000 miles so seem acceptable to me.

T-Cut
8th October 2015, 21:50
I have emailed Matt at DMGRS and waiting a reply.

Genuine bushes: http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/steering-components/products/pre-order-rover-75-mg-zt-oem-front-lower-wishbone-bushes-rbx101760-rbx101770

Just open an account and buy 'em. Find the club member code andget 5% another off.

TC

Mike Noc
9th October 2015, 16:47
Just beware that the powerflex bushes require that the existing bush carriers meet OEM spec almost exactly. Many of the aftermarket ones don't which ends up causing problems with fitting. Mine were of the aftermarket variety which made it extremely awkward fitting the powerflex leading to extremely early replacment with some standard cheapos from ECP.

Yep had to spend a bit of time filing down my arms to fit the Powerflex bushes. The problem is there is little give on the inner part of the bush and they will get damaged if you force them on.

As the arms are aluminium they are easy enough to file though - I used a deep socket pushed down the end to assist in keeping the correct profile.

T-Cut
9th October 2015, 17:20
How do the PF bushes compare with standard in terms of drivability, steering, etc? Are they the step forward they first appeared to be?

TC

jonathan63
9th October 2015, 18:18
I have ordered the original MGR parts ordered from Matt's DMGRS today. At the price he can do original part for forum members for it isn't worth buying cheap from Ebay.

Cheers Matt.

David Lawrence
10th October 2015, 15:43
How do the PF bushes compare with standard in terms of drivability, steering, etc? Are they the step forward they first appeared to be?

TC

Steering is very sharp with pf bushes, but for my money the real value in them is their durability. Fitted them to the manual 4 years ago so they have nearly 50k under them with no deterioration.

I have fitted a set of matts oem ones to the auto about 3 months ago so wait to see how they stand up in comparison. They are good chunky rubber in them so also give sharp steering. I think the latest mgr oem ones are sturdier than i remember the first set i replaced were which may be why i cant really tell any difference between the 2 cars

wuzerk
10th October 2015, 19:26
I fitted the Powerflex bushes just over three years ago, without removing the
wishbones, and there has been no deterioration whatsoever.

brianw
10th October 2015, 19:52
I have done 60K since fitting the powerflex bushes to mine.
MOT next due in December but they still look good.

Re feel.
I recall that the car felt a little sharper when I first fitted them.
I soon after changed from 15" to 16" wheels.

I would say that the difference on both changes was about the same.

i.e. when going from 15"to 16" you get that bit more feel and feedback from the road surface but lose a little of the 'magic carpet' ride quality.

After fitting the Powerflex bushes the steering felt that bit more precise with a little morefeedback.

Not a massive difference at all, but still very tangible.

I would say that it is fine tuning of the 'waftability' and 'feelability'

Please could someone invent a switch so I can select these qualities at will, or better still a slider control from 'Sleepy Vicar to :devil:'