PDA

View Full Version : Fitting a nice Sat nav into the dash...

Martin1972
14th October 2015, 10:55
Apologies for starting a new thread on what is, probably, an old topic.

Basically, what do I need to know about connecting up a fixed Sat nav? Which units would you recommend in terms of size, compatibility.

I've seen modern units on eBay which have 75 compatibility, then say that you need to trim of lugs with a craft knife...

So, very basic advice needed here.:rolleyes:

coolcat
14th October 2015, 11:36

Basically, what do I need to know about connecting up a fixed Sat nav? Which units would you recommend in terms of size, compatibility.

I've seen modern units on eBay which have 75 compatibility, then say that you need to trim of lugs with a craft knife...

Drop Radioguy (Sean) a PM on here and he can show you some options :}

Martin1972
14th October 2015, 11:37
Drop Radioguy (Sean) a PM on here and he can show you some options :}
Thanks coolcat. PM has been sent.

klarzy
14th October 2015, 11:39

just buy and fit a Navall II or III, does everything...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/2451054e9e3c81b1e3.jpg

coolcat
14th October 2015, 11:43
Nice...........biscuits :drool4::D

klarzy
14th October 2015, 11:52
Nice...........biscuits :drool4::D

had to put that up Jeff

it's the only time it ever worked....;)

KeithS
14th October 2015, 16:40
Glad this subject came up. I'd like to jump on the bandwagon. My Connie's original satnav computer eventually gave up (water in the boot) and it seems to have affected the general functioning of the head unit. I need a complete replacement. Seen many options, including those for BMW S3, but not ever been sure exactly "what's in the box". Klarzy-dials says Navall does everything and I can see that Navall is the most referenced satnav in the 75ZT forum, so that's probably the way I'll go. But I'm still not sure. If anyone else can give me some reassurance I'd be very pleased.

klarzy
14th October 2015, 16:46
Glad this subject came up. I'd like to jump on the bandwagon. My Connie's original satnav computer eventually gave up (water in the boot) and it seems to have affected the general functioning of the head unit. I need a complete replacement. Seen many options, including those for BMW S3, but not ever been sure exactly "what's in the box". Klarzy-dials says Navall does everything and I can see that Navall is the most referenced satnav in the 75ZT forum, so that's probably the way I'll go. But I'm still not sure. If anyone else can give me some reassurance I'd be very pleased.

had the full high line in my tourer, took the whole lot out including the loom...

ended up with a large apple box of bits which sold on ebay for 100.00 and replaced it with something the size of a box of tea bags,
less weight and more room in the boot...
does everything the old one did and much more with better sound...

can be pricey if you go for the bells and whistles versions but a definite improvement...

KeithS
14th October 2015, 17:36
Thanks for that. It looks like I would want some bells & whistles just to get what I had before, e.g. DVB. I understand the CD changer would become redundant? No big deal since I am in the process of xferring my CDs to memory sticks anyway. What about the trip computer info? I have no interest in Bluetooth, internet access, smartphone stuff etc, though the marketing info bangs on about these features interminably! Anyway, thanks again.

klarzy
14th October 2015, 17:55
Thanks for that. It looks like I would want some bells & whistles just to get what I had before, e.g. DVB. I understand the CD changer would become redundant? No big deal since I am in the process of xferring my CDs to memory sticks anyway. What about the trip computer info? I have no interest in Bluetooth, internet access, smartphone stuff etc, though the marketing info bangs on about these features interminably! Anyway, thanks again.

trip computer stays on the IPK message centre, you can use a Bluetooth dongle for ODBII info direct to the torque app
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/imagehosting/2451054b00acd94193.jpg

Martin1972
15th October 2015, 06:45
Can I jump in again and ask what is IPK and ODBII?

coolcat
15th October 2015, 06:55
Can I jump in again and ask what is IPK and ODBII?

IPK is the message centre computer (if fitted) on your instrument binnacle and OBD II is a plug in diagnostic Bluetooth transmitter which can send car data from the OBD socket under the steering wheel to a Bluetooth equipped device such as the Navall android head units:}

Martin1972
15th October 2015, 07:00
IPK is the message centre computer (if fitted) on your instrument binnacle and OBD II is a plug in diagnostic Bluetooth transmitter which can send car data from the OBD socket under the steering wheel to a Bluetooth equipped device such as the Navall android head units:}
Got it... So is an OBDII like a T4?

Sorry, I know this is basic but it's all new lingo to me.

coolcat
15th October 2015, 07:09
Got it... So is an OBDII like a T4?

Sorry, I know this is basic but it's all new lingo to me.

Sort of, it allows real time data to be displayed but I don't think you can program anything just view it:}

Martin1972
15th October 2015, 07:11
OK, that makes sense. Thanks.

KeithS
15th October 2015, 07:47
Well I'm still trying to get my head round all this stuff. I guess OBD = On-Board Diagnostics. Don't know what IPK actually stands for.

klarzy
15th October 2015, 08:04
Well I'm still trying to get my head round all this stuff. I guess OBD = On-Board Diagnostics. Don't know what IPK actually stands for.

IPK is information pack (your tacho and speedo unit).
Message center is the lcd screen in the top centre of the ipk if you have that option.