PDA

View Full Version : UK Holiday ideas?

Per Ardua
30th June 2008, 12:58
We’re looking at taking a short break somewhere in the UK during the summer holidays – we being Mrs PA, Mini PA (11 months old) and myself. Thing is, we’re at a loss of where to go and why.

We’re quite fond of North Yorkshire and coastal areas but would love to try somewhere new – previous holidays (without Mini Per Ardua) have taken us to Whitby (Goathland) and the North Norfolk coast. We’re definitely not ruling out North Yorkshire again though – there is so much to do in the area (York, Whitby, Robin Hood’s Bay etc)

Has anyone got any good ideas of where to go or what to look for in terms of accommodation? – we were thinking of regular B&B type affair but we’ve never tried it with a little one. Also, what kind of day-trips could we do in the local area? We have recently bought a brace of bikes with a trailer for Mini Per Ardua so maybe some easy cycling away from traffic could be on the cards.

We have looked at centre parcs and although it seems ideal, the price sky-rockets in the summer holidays and for the money, we could take a package tour to spain!

Any recommendations? - especially something that allows me to spend a bit of quality time with the ZT-T!

brum29
30th June 2008, 13:31
Hi PA, where are you based and how far do you wish to travel?????:)

baxlin
30th June 2008, 13:34
Mr and Mrs baxlin are taking their two daughters, with husbands and the 4 grand-mini-baxlins to a farm, self catering on the Isle of Wight early in August (school hols as the oldest g'child is 10 and our younger daughter is a teacher). Thank goodness for Tesco-on-line!

First family holiday for about 12 years, since our (then) teenage daughters didn't want to go on holiday with the "olds" - or with each other, I suspect, but they're now best friends as well as sisters.

Ferry prices are a bit steep, but £60-odd per car cheaper if we catch the 9.30am boat rather than a late morning sailing, so an early start for the kids, with a 2 hour drive to Pompey. We'll be just the 2 of us in the 75, the other 2 cars will have over-excited children.....................

Per Ardua
30th June 2008, 14:17
Hi PA, where are you based and how far do you wish to travel?????:)

Depends who you ask! We are based in Cambridgeshire (near peterborough) - I'd be prepared to travel far and wide, distance no object - but Mrs Per Ardua would probably want to limit it to about 3 - 4 hours. Heading North isn't too bad as we can stop-off at the In-laws (Lincoln) on the way - overnight if necessary.

pondweed
30th June 2008, 14:17
bedruthan steps hotel. north cornwall - the only place to go with little ones! But only off season or when they have a half price offer on....
the trouble with self catering and B&B with little ones is that it just seems as much or more hassle than being at home. I hate paying for that...better to do do nice day trips to expensive zoos and seaside and stuff, eating out!

JohnDotCom
30th June 2008, 14:25
If you want, Beaches, Castles, Steam Trains, History, Mountains and the Roads they use in Top Gear.......
Come to North Wales.

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r164/JohnDotCom/DSCF1182.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r164/JohnDotCom/DSCF1180.jpg

http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r164/JohnDotCom/DSCF1729.jpg

black olive
30th June 2008, 14:27
we will be once Ive got to grips with towing the van :D

Per Ardua
30th June 2008, 14:27
bedruthan steps hotel. north cornwall - the only place to go with little ones! But only off season or when they have a half price offer on....
the trouble with self catering and B&B with little ones is that it just seems as much or more hassle than being at home. I hate paying for that...better to do do nice day trips to expensive zoos and seaside and stuff, eating out!

I tend to agree. We had a recent holiday to Ibiza (in May this year) with Mini Per Ardua. We went with Thomson to a 'Family Club Extra' hotel on half-board basis.

Completely perfect - right down to highchairs in the dining room and a little room near the pool terrace with microwaves, bottle warmers, highchairs and even nappies and wipes! They had a great creche too.

Any good half-board hotels in Whitby/Scarborough Area that cater for babies?

Per Ardua
30th June 2008, 14:29
If you want, Beaches, Castles, Steam Trains, History, Mountains and the Roads they use in Top Gear.......
Come to North Wales.

OOOH! Sounds good. What resort/town would you recommend. I've been thinking about going to Wales. Too much Gavin and Stacey...

pondweed
30th June 2008, 15:19
stay in Dollgellau or along Mawdach Estuary... on of the finest in Europe. Good Indian restaurant in the town at end of estuary that serves chicken and salmon mixed - never found that anywhere else...

Per Ardua
30th June 2008, 16:06
. Good Indian restaurant in the town

hmmm, might be interesting with an 11 month old... :pillow:

JohnDotCom
30th June 2008, 16:29
For a Good Location where you can get to the Heart of Snowdonia, Porthmadoc with the Ffestiniog Railway, Portmerrion (Italianate Village where the Prisoner was Filmed), Criccieth Castle, Black Rock Sands etc try the Haven Caravan Holiday Centre at Hafan-Y-Mor, Pwlleheli, where you have a Massive Indoor Pool Complex, Shows, Bars and Cafés, Children's entertainment. Lake, Small Beach, Rock Gardens, Woods etc all within Location.
You also have the Slate Caverns, Mountains and so much more, Even Llandudno is only 45 Minutes away.

lady zed
30th June 2008, 18:53
hmmm, might be interesting with an 11 month old... :pillow:

My wee one had his first chicken korma at 11 months old. :D

*Everything in moderation, he was weaned on home cooked food, nae jars, and now only eats fresh food, nothing processed and he has no idea what a chicken nugget is.*

A variety of different flavours and textures does wonders for raising a child that isn't a fussy eater! Give it a go!

Per Ardua
1st July 2008, 09:39
My wee one had his first chicken korma at 11 months old. :D

A variety of different flavours and textures does wonders for raising a child that isn't a fussy eater! Give it a go!

Don't get me wrong, he's far from fussy! As for chicken Korma - the first 3 months of nappy changes have put us all off Chicken Korma for life!!!

I floated the idea of Wales with Mrs Per Ardua and she baulked at the prospect of such a long journey for a short break. If we were going for a longer holiday maybe. I also fancy the idea of caravanning but we don't have a caravan, and I don't want to buy one in case it's not for us. I might look to see if we could rent a tourer that is parked at a nice site somewhere to give it a trial. I reckon Mrs PA would actually enjoy caravanning (I used to go with my parents when I was young) as it's about being in the open air and she loves to just sit and people-watch.

JohnDotCom
1st July 2008, 11:28
The Park I mentioned is all Large Static Vans,
2 or 3 Bed, Double Glazed with Central Heating 37 ft by 12ft jobs, fitted Kitchen, some En Suite others with Shower etc. etc..
More like Bungalows than Caravans.

See you when you have a week spare.http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon10.gif

uk_dave&gill
1st July 2008, 11:53
Following on from the Welsh suggestion, why not try Anglesey?

We stayed there earlier this year and it was great (me, Gill and Charlie the Labradoodle) We're thinking of going back later this year, this time with Charlie and Maddy (new Labradoodle)

Here's where we stayed - lovely self-catering cottage

http://www.qualitycottages.co.uk/ref1042.htm

JohnDotCom
1st July 2008, 11:56
Certainly is some lovely places and Roads on the Island.
On there quite often.