PDA

View Full Version : Sounds / feels like my turbo.

CMOORESY
9th November 2015, 19:43
Hello all,
I have noticed the last 4-5 days that my MG ZT CDTi auto has lost a lot of it ummff. At first I thought it may have been an issue with the kick-down (kicking down but nothing happening. Then this evening on the drive home I noticed a smoke screen when accelerating (or trying to).
This lead me to conclude possible turbo issues. On getting home an revving the car on the drive I can hear a whistling / wining noise. when the engine is turned off there is a rattle just as it cuts out. No smoke is visable when reving on the drive as I guess the turbo would not have load on it.
The car has a K&N filter, a egr bypass, and the improved maintenance free 'cyclone' type crank case breather.

Does this sound like the turbo to anyone. I'm guessing its likely.

trikey
9th November 2015, 19:47
Could be intercooler seals and the rattle may be a failing lower engine mount!

CMOORESY
9th November 2015, 19:55
Cheers,
Would the intercooler pipes cause the turbo not to work?

awvc1
9th November 2015, 19:59
if you are loosing pressure I would think so yes. The hissing is very common when o rings go on the intercooler pipes. Have a look and see if it is really gungy and mucky round there - if so it is a fair bet you may just have had an o ring slip. The state of the intercooler hoses may be part of it too - check to see if it is gungy and mishapen, they can cause loss of pressure, ehnce loss of power too I think.

CMOORESY
9th November 2015, 20:34
Cheers Guys,
Just had my inspection lamp out on this dark and windy night. (that's the problem with this time of year, dark when I go out and dark when I get in and raining all weekend). Anyway, It appears that the top / uppermost hose has split and kinked together on the bend. Yes its all pretty gungy. So now I'm after this section of pipe (the fat rubbery one with the alloy ring in it) just checked Rimmers and they are over £80.00! Anyone know were I can get an aftermarket or a something from another vehicle that will fit?

CMOORESY
9th November 2015, 20:40
Cheers Guys,
Just had my inspection lamp out on this dark and windy night. (that's the problem with this time of year, dark when I go out and dark when I get in and raining all weekend). Anyway, It appears that the top / uppermost hose has split and kinked together on the bend. Yes its all pretty gungy. So now I'm after this section of pipe (the fat rubbery one with the alloy ring in it) just checked Rimmers and they are over £80.00! Anyone know were I can get an aftermarket or a something from another vehicle that will fit?

CMOORESY
9th November 2015, 21:05
Mines a 2004 so has the sensor in it. It gets on your nerves that you have to buy the lot. I only need the collapsed / split corner Part No PNH101782.

Is it possible to buy the earlier type and cut it down. Will the diameter accept the sensor?
Its just that this would cost £40 instead of £80.

awvc1
9th November 2015, 21:09
its up to you but I am putting in a steel elbow with silicon reducers on - I got the idea from a thread Ricksta started 'ooo new parts' - have a look at that - it works out cheaper than 80 quid, and it will be more resilient, and in theory might give a little better performance I've heard, but I can't confirm myself (until 2 weeks time when I plan to fit)

Phil63
9th November 2015, 21:34
These are the hoses you need.

Top pipe with sensor...
51mm 90 degree silicone bend.
51mm 90 degree alloy swaged.
Then your sensor coupling.
51-57mm 45 degree silicone reducer.

You'll need to do a bit of cutting/fettling, but it's worth it. Don't forget to buy hose clips...

awvc1
9th November 2015, 21:36
or new viton rings

Phil63
9th November 2015, 21:44
I'd get rid of the K&N filter too. Diesels don't like em...

T-Cut
10th November 2015, 09:00
Is this deal still running?

Silicone Intercooler Hose: http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=183775

TC

CMOORESY
11th November 2015, 19:39
Nothing listed on the SFS site. Has production now stopped?

CMOORESY
23rd November 2015, 17:13
Nothing listed on the SFS site. Has production now stopped?

No. I ordered one last week and it arrived today. Its the 2 part one. It looks excellent quality. I ordered mine in black for the OE look. The cost is £61.00 all-in. Unfortunately you have to phone for the 75 / ZT Inercooler hose and they make them to order in around a week.
Will be fitting this weekend.

CMOORESY
29th November 2015, 15:31
Fitted my new hoses today in the wind and rain.
I was going to take the intercooler off and clean NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- out but I need the car a 06.00 monday morning and things weren't going great so sacked it off.
I cant believe how much black crud came out on starting up after the hoses were replaced. Huge black stain on the drive and smoke everywhere. This gradually eased off, took it for a good run (Italian tune-up) and now there is no smoke at-all. Thought there was a major problem at first.

Crud is not a Naughty word?
Nor is NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- for that matter!

Oh this is getting on my NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-. Is the a forum for pre-school children?

Mud flaps is a naughty word.

CMOORESY
30th November 2015, 20:37
The new silicon hose works a treat.
before the hose split, there was always a bit of a delay when flooring the throttle followed by a surge or shove all at once. Now it seems to feel a lot smoother in its delivery, more gradual from the off.
Feels much better than it was prior to the pipe finally splitting.