PDA

View Full Version : Starting problem (R40 2.0D)

DragonFly
9th November 2015, 20:43
Anyone...

Came home from work tonight with no issues, parked the car up in its usual spot. Went out a couple of hours later, got in the car, put the key in and zilch!

Everything lights up as it should, but it won't turn over.

There's nothing to indicate that it's immobilised (HiLine) and I'm stumped.

Looks like I'm taking the wife's Ford :duh: to work tomorrow.

Anyone got any ideas of what to try when I get home?

Mike Noc
9th November 2015, 20:54
Check and clean the control voltage cable connection to the starter motor solenoid.

awvc1
9th November 2015, 21:40
pop your bonnet and have a listen out for clicking sounds while you are turning it over - you might have my problem - a dodgy starter motor, although it sounds like yours has totally given up, whilst mine does what you are describing every now and then.

awvc1
9th November 2015, 21:42
also from what i was told tonight, try monitoring your battery voltage on your obd display whilst attempting to start and see what the figures are before , during and after. post back your figuires.

Also turn your lights on and try and start and see if they dim. If they do, its more likely battery related, if they don't, probably starter motor.

I'm parroting advice from wiser men than me btw

DragonFly
9th November 2015, 21:58
I've not checked the voltages, but I did try with the lights on, and attempting to start the car made no difference to the headlights :(

So I guess it's wiring, solenoid or starter motor. At least it's somewhere to start (no pun intended :) )

Thanks all

awvc1
9th November 2015, 22:38
Sounds like a solenoid repair kit might be a good start for you too then!

Good luck

DragonFly
10th November 2015, 16:26
Got to the bottom of it...

The control wire had snapped just where it connects to the starter motor, so it didn't know that I wanted it to start :)

Remade the end and all sorted.

Thanks again all for the pointers http://forums.ddns.net/bill/i/forums/thumbup.gif

awvc1
10th November 2015, 17:37
Glad you are up and running again