PDA

View Full Version : Overheating zt

alec
13th November 2015, 17:07
Hi Everybody,

I need some guidance please. The fan on my wife's has started kicking in far more frequently than usual during the past 7/10 days. The fan also continues after the ignition has been switched off.
Tonight while in slow traffic the temp gauge shot up to red. As the traffic started to move it went back to normal. Fortunately she was close to home so she managed to make it back in one piece.

An ideas??

Thanks
Alec

Fusilier
13th November 2015, 17:22
Hi Everybody,

I need some guidance please. The fan on my wife's has started kicking in far more frequently than usual during the past 7/10 days. The fan also continues after the ignition has been switched off.
Tonight while in slow traffic the temp gauge shot up to red. As the traffic started to move it went back to normal. Fortunately she was close to home so she managed to make it back in one piece.

An ideas??

Thanks
Alec

Sound like the Coolant Temp sensor is either stuck open or closed and therefore fan is having to work hard to keep engine temp down

Stu

SD1too
13th November 2015, 19:59
Alec,

What's the coolant level in the expansion tank?
Is the bottom radiator hose getting hot?
Have you just bought the car?
Has anyone drained and refilled the cooling system recently?

Simon

kaiser
13th November 2015, 20:29
lack of water
stuck thermostat
dud temp sensor

start with coolant level!

kaiser
13th November 2015, 20:31
Sound like the Coolant Temp sensor is either stuck open or closed and therefore fan is having to work hard to keep engine temp down

Stu????:.............

Ps3000
14th November 2015, 00:07
Start with coolant level - I am wondering why no-one's mentioned checking the fan speeds but the previous posters do have a bit more experience....

kaiser
14th November 2015, 04:21
Start with coolant level - I am wondering why no-one's mentioned checking the fan speeds but the previous posters do have a bit more experience....

Because we know the fan is working! Maybe not on all speeds, but it is the working of the fan that has caused part of the question.
Even if the fan was not working on low speed, but everything else was ok, the car would not overheat. That is the logic behind it.

So the underlying cause is thus something else, and most likely one of the issues highlighted above. A lack of water being the most obvious, most likely caused by a leak.

But for good measure, you can check the lower speeds of the fan too.;)

Ps3000
14th November 2015, 11:38
Thanks Kaiser, every day's a school day.

DMGRS
14th November 2015, 15:03
Noticed the same on my ZS180 last week - was coolant level. Tiny weep from a Jubilee clip that'd seen better days. :)

kaiser
14th November 2015, 15:11
Thanks Kaiser, every day's a school day.

He he, you never stop learning something, until you die. So yes, you are right, every day IS a school day!

alec
26th November 2015, 17:27
Thanks to all who replied with help. Problem solved. Loose clip on a pipe below the radiator.

DMGRS
26th November 2015, 18:06
Excellent news - similar to my issue then.
Cheap fixes are the best!