PDA

View Full Version : Air Con

Harmie
14th November 2015, 16:44
Hi, apologies if this has already been covered (I have looked but can't find anything) here's the thing, I had my air con checked today to find a known leak. Big Ron discovered a leak in the radiator. Have ordered a replacement from Rimmers which should be delivered early next week. Do I need anything else like new seals, gaskets etc for when its rebuilt or will these come with the new rad? Many thanks Peter

andrewinpopayan
14th November 2015, 18:48
You will at least need a new silica gel drying pack/filter.

SD1too
14th November 2015, 19:24
Why do you think that Andrew? Having renewed his condenser, if the air con. practitioner maintains a vacuum for around 30 minutes, the stored moisture will be extracted from the receiver-drier leaving it ready for further service. :D
There's really no need for replacement.

Peter; you will need new 'O' rings for your condenser's connections. I doubt that they will be included with the condenser, but you can buy them from club trader Jules.

Simon

Harmie
14th November 2015, 19:52
Why do you think that Andrew? Having renewed his condenser, if the air con. practitioner maintains a vacuum for around 30 minutes, the stored moisture will be extracted from the receiver-drier leaving it ready for further service. :D
There's really no need for replacement.

Peter; you will need new 'O' rings for your condenser's connections. I doubt that they will be included with the condenser, but you can buy them from club trader Jules.

Simon

Many thanks I will seek out Jules. Regards Peter ah which Jules do I need please?

SD1too
14th November 2015, 20:11
This one (http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/member.php?u=811)! :D

Simon

T-Cut
14th November 2015, 22:20
I would fit a new desiccant pack. The ability of the desiccant to absorb moisture from the refrigerant is far greater that an hour's evacuation will overcome. Most desiccants (silica gels, molecular seives, etc) will only dehydrate after several hours in a hot oven. At ambient temperatures, there's almost no vapour pressure from the desiccant. Evacuation does however remove any traces wet refrigerant trapped in the system.

TC

SD1too
17th November 2015, 10:50
The ability of the desiccant to absorb moisture from the refrigerant is far greater that an hour's evacuation will overcome. Most desiccants ... will only dehydrate after several hours in a hot oven. At ambient temperatures, there's almost no vapour pressure from the desiccant.
I quote from Fundamentals of Automotive Air Conditioning by Boyce H. Dwiggins (Delmar Publishing Inc., Albany, NY 12212):

"This section shows how a refrigeration system is pumped down and explains how a vacuum is used to remove moisture ...
In a vacuum the moisture in the system boils. The pumping action of the vacuum pump then pulls the moisture in the form of a vapour from the system ...
A good vacuum pump is capable of evacuating a system to a pressure of 29.71 inHg (0.81 kPa absolute) or better. At this pressure, water boils at 40°F (4.44°C). In other words, if the ambient temperature is 40°F (4.44°C) or higher, the water boils out of the system ...
The degree of vacuum achieved and the amount of time the system is subjected to a vacuum determine the amount of moisture removed from the system."

Any comments T.C?

Simon