PDA

View Full Version : Big puddle then...

Poggit
15th November 2015, 06:32
Coning back from work I hit a patch of water that became a lake :mad:. Limped thru keeping the revs high and a some clutch slipping.
After pulling into to port at the far side the EML was on, then off, then flashing then off-you get the picture.
The on board code reader (ok its just a Torque app) was showing multiple misfires-all to be expected really.Limped back to base.
As I need the car for work I was up at 6 this morning and out with the spanners.-water was surrounding the plugs wells :eek: Plugs out, water sucked up a straw (ugg) dry off with a towel and fired her up-all good and fine again but what this? the oil light remained on faintly then went off. Checked oil-ok. Question-is the oil pressure sensor switch either on or off, and if so can we put the faint glowing for the first minute or so due to poss water inngress around the connector when i went punting last night?
Well its time to be off to work now -will this rain ever stop?

murphyv310
15th November 2015, 09:27
Sounds like a massive soaking. I think you were very lucky not to have had water sucked into the engine.
I'd suspect that everything will dry out when you do a few miles. I still though would spray WD40 inside as many connectors as you can get too, just in the off chance that one or more isn't sealing properly.

Poggit
15th November 2015, 12:16
Well pleased to report that after an initial bit of hesitating the' electrickery' (those of you of a certain age will know where this comes from) gubbins dried out well over the 11 mile drive to work.The oil light now extinguishes immediately as it should upon engine start up.
I have driven over the stretch of road that I ended up sailing across last night thousands of times and have never know in so bad. Once I was in the flooded section I had to carry on, following an old technique I was told to follow many years ago-keep the revs high to have a good back pressure in the exhaust, slip the clutch and keep a nice bow wave ahead of the front bumper:eek:.
One thing comes to mind here-THANK GOD I REPLACED MY DISINTEGRATED SHANNON TUBE LAST SUMMER! A timely warning to us all in this awful weather sweeping across the UK at the moment.