PDA

View Full Version : 1.8the whirring/rubbing noise......

zedhed
15th November 2015, 07:36
....which seems to be coming from drivers side low down.reckon it could be crank pulley failing?

SD1too
15th November 2015, 07:59
Unlikely on a 1.8 Mark. That usually afflicts the diesel engine. If you think the noise is coming from that area, I'd visually inspect the auxiliary drive belt(s) and its/their tensioners and idler wheels.

Simon

zedhed
15th November 2015, 08:10
Unlikely on a 1.8 Mark. That usually afflicts the diesel engine. If you think the noise is coming from that area, I'd visually inspect the auxiliary drive belt(s) and its/their tensioners and idler wheels.

Simon
Ok cheers Simon,I take it the tensioners are a common failure on these then.

SD1too
15th November 2015, 09:26
No, I wouldn't say that any of the auxiliary drive belt components are a common failure on the petrol engines. Noises are difficult to trace, but there's a lot to be gained by careful observation.

Simon

marinabrian
15th November 2015, 09:30
I would check with engine stopped, that the lower timing belt cover hasn't been snapped off during a previous belt change.

There is a hidden bolt, that people not familiar with the K normally miss ;)

Brian :D

Poggit
15th November 2015, 12:37
Do you have the aircon/demist switch on? Mine clatters more with the aircon on when the compressor comes online. Not sure though whether this is a failing compressor unit bearing or just due a general increase in the load on the auxiliary belt l components.

SD1too
15th November 2015, 23:06
... just due a general increase in the load on the auxiliary belt l components.
Correct; and in particular the crankshaft pulley, assuming that you're referring to your diesel. ;)

Simon

Ste.Sales
17th November 2015, 10:31
I have had a few cars with these k series engines fitted, some have had similar noise to what you describe... Noticed that when a cam belt has been changed on two of them, the camshaft sprockets have rubbed on the plastic cover causing that sound. Also in my experience, cheap cam belt tensioners can whine too.

Tim_Burgess
17th November 2015, 16:02
Most likely the auxiliary belts reaching the end of their life. I'd get them changed first and go from there. It's an easy and worthwhile job as they can cause all sorts of mayhem if they break.