PDA

View Full Version : Water leak?

SADilligaf
17th November 2015, 13:09
I went to Southampton yesterday, and when I got there there was some antifreeze on the floor, looking in the engine caompartment, I could only see antifreeze on the floor pan, it is on the left of the engine as you look at the car from the front.

I had to top up with about a litre of antifreeze before I left, I then drove back home to Bournemouth and checked the antifreeze today it seems to be at the same level I left Southampton with.

I just wanted to know if there is anything on the left of the engine that would cause this, I have a feeling it may be water pump releated but can not see where it is coming from.

I wanted to have a look today but it is a bit wet to be underneath a car today.

chipsceola
17th November 2015, 15:01
Not that I am any help here, but it always pays to tell folks which engine you have, they are not all the same configuration.

chris75
17th November 2015, 16:06
According to your profile you have the v6 , so the first place to look is in the vee of the engine . You need to remove the engine top cover and shine a torch through the gaps in the manifold . If you can see antifreeze , usually pinkish , then your thermostat housing or associated pipework has sprung a leak .
Very common this , and it will drain out of the vee via a hole in the engine plate and drip onto the undertray just as you describe .
Other possibilities are the waterpump or the oil cooler , but check this first :}
If it is this , then have a look here http://www.jimmcglynn.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/zt/projects/thermostat/index.html
Picture 25 shows what you are looking for !

SADilligaf
17th November 2015, 18:22
According to your profile you have the v6 , so the first place to look is in the vee of the engine . You need to remove the engine top cover and shine a torch through the gaps in the manifold . If you can see antifreeze , usually pinkish , then your thermostat housing or associated pipework has sprung a leak .
Very common this , and it will drain out of the vee via a hole in the engine plate and drip onto the undertray just as you describe .
Other possibilities are the waterpump or the oil cooler , but check this first :}
If it is this , then have a look here http://www.jimmcglynn.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/zt/projects/thermostat/index.html
Picture 25 shows what you are looking for !

Hi Chris75

I have shone a torch into the V and it looks completely dry, I see in the history, there was some mod done a while ago on the thermostat, so hope its not that again.

It does look like it some where down the side of the engine.

chris75
17th November 2015, 18:55
The search goes on then ! I too have just started to try and find a slight leak and am not having a lot of joy in this weather !
The water pump is driven by the cambelt and needs a lot of stuff removing before it can be seen . How old do you think it is in mileage , based on the history you have ; it is normal to change it when the cambelts are done .
The oil cooler can be seen from underneath when the undertray is removed . It is an alloy casting on the driver's side on the front of the sump at the very bottom of the engine , and has two rubber hoses attached . If it appears wet , that could still have come from above so dry it all off as best you can and look again after a run .
Let us know how you are getting on as these experiences help us all :}

SADilligaf
18th November 2015, 18:19
The search goes on then ! I too have just started to try and find a slight leak and am not having a lot of joy in this weather !
The water pump is driven by the cambelt and needs a lot of stuff removing before it can be seen . How old do you think it is in mileage , based on the history you have ; it is normal to change it when the cambelts are done .
The oil cooler can be seen from underneath when the undertray is removed . It is an alloy casting on the driver's side on the front of the sump at the very bottom of the engine , and has two rubber hoses attached . If it appears wet , that could still have come from above so dry it all off as best you can and look again after a run .
Let us know how you are getting on as these experiences help us all :}

Thanks Chris

that was helpfull info, I will keep you updated.

As the cambelt, I know it will have to be replaced at the next service due to age not milage, so was hoping to wait till February as thats the MOT and service due, I know its driven by the cambelt so would do both at the same time anyway. My problem is we dont seem to have anyone (member) near Bournemouth who could do this so have to take it to a garage, the quote so far is £400 and was told they would need the car for at least 2 days.

I am hoping I dont have to spend that before Xmas but if I need too I will have too.

chris75
18th November 2015, 18:54
Good luck with the cambelt hunt , but I was really meaning how many miles has the waterpump done :} If it is over say 100k then it is more likely to fail :shrug:
They are usually quite long-lasting .

Ste.Sales
18th November 2015, 19:37
Get yourself some fluorescent dye and a uv lamp... Found so many leaks this way... There are some kits on ebay for ~£10

DMGRS
18th November 2015, 22:42
Sounds like the waterpump could be the culprit - but the UV method above is a great way to find out for sure.

kaiser
19th November 2015, 08:25
Thermostat, inlet manifold gaskets, oil cooler, two pipes in front under radiator, expansion box, expansion cap, radiator around edges, radiator in and outlet studs, all hoses where they are fitted on, and general losses.

Those are the most likely problems for the V6.

What mods for the thermostat??